Louie4's YJ - Page 75 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #1111
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The ATF doesn't surprise me. I've found everything from a completely dry case with axle grease on the gears, to crazy heavy gear lube. Normally though, it's just really old 30 weight. Most have never been opened up when I tear them down.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #1112
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd also bet that you wouldn't have seen a leak if it'd still had 30 weight in it. ATF will crawl and seep into everything. I use it in multiple "recipes" for penetrating concoctions and cutting fluids.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #1113
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
I'd also bet that you wouldn't have seen a leak if it'd still had 30 weight in it. ATF will crawl and seep into everything. I use it in multiple "recipes" for penetrating concoctions and cutting fluids.
I've heard the ATF/acetone mixtures are pretty gnarly. I agree that I probably wouldn't have noticed a leak with 30W. I plan on spraying some degreaser in the case and wiping it out as much as I can. Then I'll add some 30W and seal it up proper.

I may need to eyeball the amount but is there a way to know how much is "enough". Should I just cover the bottom gear teeth?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #1114
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh here are my new battery connections. Very handy for disconnecting it in a hurry.
image-2344752873.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #1115
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I may need to eyeball the amount but is there a way to know how much is "enough". Should I just cover the bottom gear teeth?
Warn says 6 ounces. It will look like it's not nearly enough, but that's what they spec. I personally like to use stihl bar and chain oil. It's the correct spec oil, it clings to the gears (and climbs) very well, and is very easy to acquire.

I've also seen in some documentation where they recommend either SAE 30 (non detergent) or ATF type F.
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #1116
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Warn says 6 ounces. It will look like it's not nearly enough, but that's what they spec. I personally like to use stihl bar and chain oil. It's the correct spec oil, it clings to the gears (and climbs) very well, and is very easy to acquire.

I've also seen in some documentation where they recommend either SAE 30 (non detergent) or ATF type F.
Gotcha. Is there a good way to tell if I need to replace my brake pads? It slows down after I let off the controls but I don't know if it spins too much.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #1117
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your brake should only actuate when it's under load. If it's under load, it sill won't "brake" while spooling in.

When you're spooling in under some kind of load (it doesn't take much), the clicking indicates that the brake is applied, and the actual clicking is the winch bypassing the brake. The way the arm is shaped won't allow it to bypass while spooling out.
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #1118
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As for the pads, there's not a good way to tell without pulling the brake apart. That being said, I'd bet a large sum of cash that your pads are fine. Due to the design of the brake on the 8274, the only time they get wear is when you either spool out while under load (like lowering yourself down an obstacle), or if there is enough pressure to actually slip the brake. Neither of these situations occur often enough in normal use to wear the brakes down most of the time.

If your brake works, I wouldn't worry about pulling it apart until you feel like going through the winch. I absolutely do not recommend pulling the brake assembly while it's on your Jeep. There are a bunch of ball bearings in there that will go everywhere.

If your brake doesn't work, I'd pull the winch and dissasemble the brake assembly. A nonfuntional brake is normally fine after a good cleaning, lube where needed, and reassembly.
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #1119
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I think mine is fine so I'll just leave it be. I should have it put together tomorrow.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #1120
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up some oil today at O'Reilly's then found the trailer plug and socket I need as well.
img_0693.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #1121
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got the winch back on and put the top cover on. Then the gear that the motor shaft goes into fell so I fished it out of the clutch assembly/shifter hole after taking it out and got it. I then pulled the shaft out of the housing and lost the indent ball. I found the spring but now I need a new ball.

I sent Warn an email to see about a replacement. Dang it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #1122
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Warn doesn't handle replacement parts any more. Now you have to go through "authorized parts and service center" (which are mostly off road shops).
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #1123
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the ball that sets it in either neutral or locked (in the clutch handle)?

Regardless, let me know which ball you're talking about and I'll pull one and mic it. All of those are just standard size ball bearings.
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #1124
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Crisis averted. I thought for a minute and did a google then thought about the local bike shop down the road. The guy that owned it answered the phone and I asked about a small ball bearing. He said he may have some lying around and I could come by. I went to the shop and told him who I was. He picked up a ball bearing and I held out the clutch assembly and it was a perfect fit. I asked how much and he said "Nothing". I asked again and he said he found it on the floor and for me to use it. I've dealt with these guys before when I was doing my hand throttle and I've always received that kind of service. I wish he would have charged me $5 or something because it would have been worth every penny.

Come to find out that shop is the third oldest in the country, operating since 1899. It's Greenlee's Bicycle Shoppe located in Old North Knoxville. If you need bike parts they are top notch. I've gotten a tube from there and some cables.

http://greenleebicycle.com/
bikehospitalsmall.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #1125
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and I got my winch put back together. Works great. Now I just need a momentary switch for a backup hand controller and I'll be set. Plus a solenoid cover at some point.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.