Louie4's YJ - Page 74 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #1096
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

Grant, thanks for the heads up. I too have the Beck Arnley switch and Taurus electric fan so I'll keep my eye on it. I still need to modify my setup so that the high speed can run at it's highest speed. Right now the temp switch will send power to both low and high speed relays causing a speed in between. It still shouldn't be a problem though.
If yours runs like mine, you'll never have the high speed fan kick in. For that matter, the low speed fan will only run for a few seconds before it shuts back off. I'm just using the Volvo relay pack to control mine.

I'm curious to hear your opinion of the 8274. I love seeing the reactions of folks who regularly use winches, but have never used a spur gear, the first time they see one run. It takes a while to figure out when you need let off the switch (they keep spinning for a while) when you're reeling in.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #1097
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
If yours runs like mine, you'll never have the high speed fan kick in. For that matter, the low speed fan will only run for a few seconds before it shuts back off. I'm just using the Volvo relay pack to control mine.

I'm curious to hear your opinion of the 8274. I love seeing the reactions of folks who regularly use winches, but have never used a spur gear, the first time they see one run. It takes a while to figure out when you need let off the switch (they keep spinning for a while) when you're reeling in.
I'm used my friends on his CJ-7 back when he still had it. I was amazed at the speed and ease it would pull. But yes, I did have to feel when to let off the control because it keeps spinning.

Pretty stoked about it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #1098
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got a few things done to the jeep. I bolted the M8274 mount to the bumper. It fits well but there is a little overhang on the corners (pics). I can deal with it though. I still need to pick up some welding cable and lugs to make my own cables. The cables on it are a bit short and the ground is only 6 ga. They positive is 1 ga but corroded. Oh, and everything on the front is grade 8 hardware. I had some laying around and bought (4) 1/2" bolts.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #1099
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #1100
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So awesome! !
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #1101
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I'm going to head to Northern tomorrow to look for cable and lugs.

I also forgot to mention we're under contract for a new house!

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #1102
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Thanks! I'm going to head to Northern tomorrow to look for cable and lugs.

I also forgot to mention we're under contract for a new house!
Congratulations!

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of seeing what's on the market. We've been in our home for about 17 years and it's where my sons have grown up. We can't decide whether to move now, or wait until they're in college. On one hand, I'd prefer to keep the stability of "home" for them until they finish high school, but on the other, it may be easier to change houses sooner (it'll be in the same school district), so that they could get accustomed to it while we still have them at home.
Unread 04-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #1103
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Congratulations!

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of seeing what's on the market. We've been in our home for about 17 years and it's where my sons have grown up. We can't decide whether to move now, or wait until they're in college. On one hand, I'd prefer to keep the stability of "home" for them until they finish high school, but on the other, it may be easier to change houses sooner (it'll be in the same school district), so that they could get accustomed to it while we still have them at home.
I think you're good either way. If you do it before they leave for college you can get them to help you move more easily. Since they won't be changing schools I don't think it will be a big deal to them.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #1104
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well yesterday I spent driving around town getting parts. I finally found a welding shop that would make me some winch cables. I used 1/0 welding cable in 5.5' lengths for the winch. They also put lugs on them too but I found out they had a 1/2" hole so I had to figure something out. I didn't go with #2 cable since it seemed small and I didn't want to go with 2/0 since it was as big around as my thumb. Well, for $39 I had the two cables made. They didn't have shrink tubing but I got some at HF and was able to put it on with no issue.

While at HF, I found their wireless winch remote for $32.99 plus tax. I don't have a controller yet and this was something to try. I will need to get an extra "23A" battery for the remote and I'm going to use an existing switch in the dash to power the wireless controller. I don't want it hot all the time incase the controller buttons are depressed by accident.

When I got home I put my bag of goodies on the ground and this little stinker wanted to checkout the heat shrink pack.

Once I started getting the connections off the wire on the winch and running it to the battery I found I would need to change things up. My current terminals would not accept the lugs of the new winch cables. So I called around town and found some military style battery terminals and of course it was all the way across town. I also needed to put lugs on the bare battery wires that were used in the old terminals. I got an assortment and crimped them on with my homebrew method and put shrink tubing also. Here's the terminals.

Here is everything mocked up. I didn't want to put the negative on because I still need to work on the positive terminal. I need (2) ring terminals to accept the 5/16" clamping bolt. One day I'll put an extra 12V power distribution panel in with fuses but all in good time.

So, once I get the new terminals I'll be ready to rock. I also need to get some wire to extend the wireless controller signal wires. It has 4 wires encapsulated so I may be able to pick something up at Home Depot.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #1105
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Where are you mounting the remote reciever unit? I've been thinking about putting one from HF or e-bay on mine.

I have mixed feelings on my "in cab" switches (they work fine, but depending on what I'm doing, I don't always like using them). Mine is set up with a master switch that lights up the momentary switches when they're armed. Nice and idiot proof.

I've got my wired remote, but it'd be nice to not have to dig it out. I was planning on wiring it into my "in cab" switch wiring so that the master switch would also stop the wireless remote from working.
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #1106
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished up the install and put the receiver on the pass. side fender near the alternator. I then ran a switch power source to it (in cab) and ran the negative to my high speed fan relay. I then ran the two 'in' and 'out' wires to the control box. Works great but of course there is that split second delay when pressing and releasing the button but nothing too troublesome. I figure this will get me by until I can find a controller.

I did solder and extend the wires coming off the receiver and put shrink tube on it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #1107
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds good.

What kind of range are you getting out of it?

I was considering mounting a receiver unit behind the dash. Space under my hood that would keep electronics happy is dwindling. I don't think it'll get any better after I drop in the 302.
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #1108
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds good.

What kind of range are you getting out of it?

I was considering mounting a receiver unit behind the dash. Space under my hood that would keep electronics happy is dwindling. I don't think it'll get any better after I drop in the 302.
I tested it out yesterday and I was about 150' from the house while my wife gave the thumbs up when it worked. I could have gone farther but I would have lost sight of her.

I thought about putting the receiver in the cab but the wiring was easier from the engine bay, mainly because I had a power switch already wired up in the cab.

So, I've been driving the jeep around the last several days and the front has sagged some which is fine. I expected it to. In addition, the winch is oily and I believe it's leaking from the top case half seam. I will leave it mounted and pull the motor and top half of the case, suck the old oil out, and put more non-detergent 30W in.

Grant, would it be that easy to do that?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #1109
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty much. There's not a whole lot to them.

There's only a few places to get a leak. Most of them leak (at least a little) where the drum goes into the main case. Other than that, the only possible places are the shaft where the brake attaches, the motor mount, and the clutch cover.

Unless you do a full rebuild, there's nothing you can do about the first two that I mentioned (and they very well may be no better after), but the other spots are easy enough to take care of with your favorite gasket sealer.

It's also worth noting that these things only get a very small amount of oil. Unless the winch has been on it's side, they rarely leak out, but leaking water in is a whole different story if you go through deep water. If you only dunk it occasionally (or not at all), you can just change the oil afterward. If you need a solution for deep water, let me know. It's a bit more involved, but I have a solution.
Unread 04-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #1110
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I took the winch off and the top, motor, and solenoid pack. I can tell someone serviced this one from the clear gasket sealer. The top half bolts weren't that tight either hence the leak. I also found the case had ATF in it and some water.
image-481686822.jpg

image-2646776127.jpg

image-3770863568.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.