Louie4's YJ - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #1081
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

Dave, my buddy bought it for me when I left Georgia as a going away gift and for me with no vise and little work space it's great. I will say I beat it with a hammer to help pop u-joints out and like what I did in the picture above. The pressure is put on the bottom where the large nut is so a little extra tap on the jaw helps. It's mainly for trail use but I've been using it like my main vise.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92011_3000.htm
Thanks Louie!

Now there's something I want that I didn't know I wanted two days ago

Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #1082
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Back when my jeep was stock, I put my dads 8274 on it, and the old saggy front springs hated me!
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #1083
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91 View Post
Back when my jeep was stock, I put my dads 8274 on it, and the old saggy front springs hated me!
I imagine mine will drop some once I put that beast on.

On a side note. Does anyone have a spare winch remote they want to part with?

I didn't get one with this winch. I plan on putting a switch in the cab but I still want a remote for times when I'm not in the vehicle. I usually am braced against a tree winching someone else if I'm outside the jeep.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #1084
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I imagine mine will drop some once I put that beast on.

On a side note. Does anyone have a spare winch remote they want to part with?

I didn't get one with this winch. I plan on putting a switch in the cab but I still want a remote for times when I'm not in the vehicle. I usually am braced against a tree winching someone else if I'm outside the jeep.
I just got a hoist control from work and put an end on it.
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:19 AM   #1085
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91 View Post
I just got a hoist control from work and put an end on it.
I may go to Northern Tool and see if I can find something like that.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #1086
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I may go to Northern Tool and see if I can find something like that.
I think the Harbor Freight wireless winch remote works with our Warn winches.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #1087
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I think the Harbor Freight wireless winch remote works with our Warn winches.
This guy has a HF 10 mintues away.

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...rol-69229.html

Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to throw this on there but I started cleaning up the bumper and bracket. Thought I would just touch up where I cut but that was going to look crappy.
img_0660.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #1088
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A guy in our jeep club posted that he used one of their controls on his M8000. I noticed they were $28 (I think). With the 25% coupon they always mail, that's a $21 wireless controller.

If you do it, I'll be curious to see how it works.

I almost traded my M8000 for one of your winches straight up. I only didn't due to the mount. They look fun to work on.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #1089
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I met a guy at a club event that had one on his warn. He had used several dozen times with no issue.

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #1090
adugas14
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just joined this forum after reading all 73 pages of your build. Awesome job you will love that winch once you get it all installed i have the same winch and love it
adugas14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #1091
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
A guy in our jeep club posted that he used one of their controls on his M8000. I noticed they were $28 (I think). With the 25% coupon they always mail, that's a $21 wireless controller.

If you do it, I'll be curious to see how it works.

I almost traded my M8000 for one of your winches straight up. I only didn't due to the mount. They look fun to work on.
I will let you know how it does as I plan on getting one. The great thing about the one I bought is the mount it came with. I've been able to make it work with my existing bumper or soon to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
I met a guy at a club event that had one on his warn. He had used several dozen times with no issue.
That's what I like to hear. I'll hardwire a switch in the cab at some point but this will get me by for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adugas14 View Post
I just joined this forum after reading all 73 pages of your build. Awesome job you will love that winch once you get it all installed i have the same winch and love it
Thanks man! I'm glad you have enjoyed the build thus far. It's not flashy at all and I try to be crafty and thrifty about some things. It's a passion and a hobby.

Well I got the bumper and mount primed still hanging in the garage. I will go over it with some 220 grit sandpaper, wash them down, and put some semi-flat black enamel on both.

I'll have to do this on next week as I'm visiting the folks in Athens for the next couple of days. My mom's birthday is tomorrow so it was a good reason to come down.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #1092
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got the mount and bumper painted. I put a couple coats on then waited 45 minutes and put two more on. I went with the semi flat black over the gloss. I think I like it pretty well.

I also started to finally repair my frame from the seized nut inside that holds the steering box up. I put a tack on the nut and filled in some of the cuts the disc made. I will grind it down with a flap disk and put a patch over it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #1093
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I am one step closer to having my new winch on.

Got the frame patched (and what a hack job is looks to be) and primed.

After letting the primer set up I lightly sanded it and washed it off. Then shot the black on there.

Now the waiting game begins...because I'm off to Raleigh for the next several days to buy a house.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #1094
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I meant to mention this, but I forgot. I have noticed an odd side effect of the 8274 (actually, I'm guessing it has more to do with the mount). In still conditions, my temp pops up to just under my "fan on" temp (I'm using the Beck Arnley switch with a Ford 2 speed fan) starting at 60 mph and going back to normal at around 70. Below 60, cool as a cucumber, over 70, same deal. It's creating a dead air pocket (or a slight vaccum ) behind the winch in that speed range.

Any cross breeze completely negates the effect and I haven't noticed it in either head or tail winds, though it would make sense that it should still occur. I never noticed it before I put the e-fan in, but I was watching a bit more closely right after the fan install. Initially, I thought I had the beginning of a problem until I put 2 and 2 together. The total increase in temp is 5-10 degrees. It was just the deviation from the dead steady temp that made me notice it.

This is more of a heads up so that you don't start thinking you have a cooling problem "if" it even happens on your Jeep. To my knowledge, my fan has never kicked on at speed due to this and I've driven at those speeds on several 100+ days, but as I said, it does run a few degrees hotter when this happens. I'd also go out on a limb and say that my CJ grill isn't helping...

The front end looks to be coming along nicely. Good work!
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #1095
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
I meant to mention this, but I forgot. I have noticed an odd side effect of the 8274 (actually, I'm guessing it has more to do with the mount). In still conditions, my temp pops up to just under my "fan on" temp (I'm using the Beck Arnley switch with a Ford 2 speed fan) starting at 60 mph and going back to normal at around 70. Below 60, cool as a cucumber, over 70, same deal. It's creating a dead air pocket (or a slight vaccum ) behind the winch in that speed range.

Any cross breeze completely negates the effect and I haven't noticed it in either head or tail winds, though it would make sense that it should still occur. I never noticed it before I put the e-fan in, but I was watching a bit more closely right after the fan install. Initially, I thought I had the beginning of a problem until I put 2 and 2 together. The total increase in temp is 5-10 degrees. It was just the deviation from the dead steady temp that made me notice it.

This is more of a heads up so that you don't start thinking you have a cooling problem "if" it even happens on your Jeep. To my knowledge, my fan has never kicked on at speed due to this and I've driven at those speeds on several 100+ days, but as I said, it does run a few degrees hotter when this happens. I'd also go out on a limb and say that my CJ grill isn't helping...

The front end looks to be coming along nicely. Good work!
Grant, thanks for the heads up. I too have the Beck Arnley switch and Taurus electric fan so I'll keep my eye on it. I still need to modify my setup so that the high speed can run at it's highest speed. Right now the temp switch will send power to both low and high speed relays causing a speed in between. It still shouldn't be a problem though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.