Louie4's YJ - Page 72 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 03-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #1066
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up the M8274 this evening for $400. It looks to be in good shape. A little dusty but kept inside. It has the original Warn cover, mounting plate, and fairlead. The control box cover has a piece missing on the side but it works and looks like it was kept in a garage. I think I got a good buy. I will look for a remote and see what the oil looks like inside.

I'll post pics tomorrow. It's cold and windy outside and we had on and off snow flurries all day. Right now it's in the back of the Civic.

I'm pumped.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #1067
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I picked up the M8274 this evening for $400. It looks to be in good shape. A little dusty but kept inside. It has the original Warn cover, mounting plate, and fairlead. The control box cover has a piece missing on the side but it works and looks like it was kept in a garage. I think I got a good buy. I will look for a remote and see what the oil looks like inside.

I'll post pics tomorrow. It's cold and windy outside and we had on and off snow flurries all day. Right now it's in the back of the Civic.

I'm pumped.
Congratulations!
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #1068
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks!

The owner said it was bolted to a trailer and a switch wired to the cab. It looks to be in good shape.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #1069
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm pumped.
Congrats I'm jelly
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #1070
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Congrats I'm jelly
As you should be.

I can't wait to dig into it and see how I'm going to mount it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #1071
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got the jeep out of the garage and drove it around some today. I ordered a RE spring bushing kit for (1) spring and replaced the bushings. I found the sleeve in the spring bushing was stuck to the bolt. I find that usually happens on the frame side spring hangers more.

So I had this:

Luckily I had my handy portable vise (thanks Steven) and it took care of it. I plan on getting a real vise when I get into the new house.

Before I took the jeep out I took the front bumper and M8000 off. I'm selling the M8000 and I want to start looking at putting the M8274 on there.

Here's old reliable:

Naked.

Finally, here is what most have been waiting for.

Short of not having a remote, the control box cover is broken but that is relatively minor.

The winch looks to be in good shape and I think I did pretty good on getting it.

I even got the original leather cover. If I do put that on I'll need new elastic bands on the bottom.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #1072
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So here is where i'm trying to decide what to do. Should I chop the old mount up and put it on my existing bumper or buy a prefabbed winch place for the M8274 and weld to my bumper? I don't want to chop it up but it would be cheaper and it could work. No matter what I do, I'll still need to cut the fairlead plate off my current bumper.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #1073
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That winch is about as clean as I've seen. Nice score on the cover as well. I'd definitely get some elastic and use it. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes to keep them covered.

Concerning mounting options, why not just bolt the mount to your bumper? (I went back a few pages looking for a clear shot of the bumper, but I'm on my phone and it doesn't always display the pictures well on the app.) If there was a spot to mount a winch, surely theres enough meat there to mount a winch mount. All you'd have to do is remove the fairlead plate, drill a few holes, spray some touchup, and you're in business.

Anyway, I'd definitely keep the mount (they're difficult to find used and the new ones are awfully spendy). I also wouldn't cut it up if you have any choice.

If the solenoid cover starts getting to you, there's a guy on e-bay who sells aluminum ones cheaper than the plastic Warn replacements (I think his are about $40). I'm planning on getting one for one of mine in the near future.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #1074
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Luckily I had my handy portable vise (thanks Steven) and it took care of it. I plan on getting a real vise when I get into the new house.

[URL=http://s174.photobucket.com/user/louie484/media/IMG_0629_zpsa1338752.jpg.html]
where did ya get that vise?
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:39 AM   #1075
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
That winch is about as clean as I've seen. Nice score on the cover as well. I'd definitely get some elastic and use it. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes to keep them covered.

Concerning mounting options, why not just bolt the mount to your bumper? (I went back a few pages looking for a clear shot of the bumper, but I'm on my phone and it doesn't always display the pictures well on the app.) If there was a spot to mount a winch, surely theres enough meat there to mount a winch mount. All you'd have to do is remove the fairlead plate, drill a few holes, spray some touchup, and you're in business.

Anyway, I'd definitely keep the mount (they're difficult to find used and the new ones are awfully spendy). I also wouldn't cut it up if you have any choice.

If the solenoid cover starts getting to you, there's a guy on e-bay who sells aluminum ones cheaper than the plastic Warn replacements (I think his are about $40). I'm planning on getting one for one of mine in the near future.
Thanks Grant. I found that guy on eBay with the aluminum cover. I will probably get it a little later once I have everything ready to go. I will go out and get the tape measure and see if I can use the existing mount. IIRC the overall width of the mount is 27" and my top plate on my bumper is 33". If the existing holes on the mount fall within my frame underneath (and I can get a nut on it) I'll drill holes in the top plate of mine and bolt it down (after cutting the fairlead plate off).

I don't want to cut up the original mount because I can sell it later and it does have the nostalgic look to it.

Here is the link to the eBay cover:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warn-8274-HD...cd63b6&vxp=mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
where did ya get that vise?
Dave, my buddy bought it for me when I left Georgia as a going away gift and for me with no vise and little work space it's great. I will say I beat it with a hammer to help pop u-joints out and like what I did in the picture above. The pressure is put on the bottom where the large nut is so a little extra tap on the jaw helps. It's mainly for trail use but I've been using it like my main vise.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92011_3000.htm

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #1076
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics of the mount on my bumper. I may be able to make it work, at least for the time being.
image-282886579.jpg

image-2811764875.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #1077
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That should work just fine. I just got my first good look at your mount. It's not Warn, but definitely has "Warn Influence". When I made my front bumper, I was intending on using a planetary and I made the bumper with that in mind. When I ran across the deal on the 8274 that's on there now, I was originally going to modify the bumper to suit, but then ran across my mount for $20... The only thing I ended up having to make was the supports. Everything was already in place for them, but the actual supports were missing.

bumper-2.jpg

2013-11-20_10-46-01_698.jpg

2013-11-20_10-46-35_395.jpg

Your winch plate looks a lot like the Belleview plates. Once I saw the mount I was expecting to see two more holes on the passenger side (that's how the belleviews mount up).
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #1078
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Grant!

I got (3) cutting disc and a flap disk, as well as, (4) 1.25" grade 8 1/2" bolts with nuts. I plan on putting the bolt head underneath the bumper plate depending on clearance from the center support tube.

I'll post pics in the next day or so.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #1079
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So here is what I'm coming up with. Nothing fancy, nothing crazy. Just a simple matter of cleaning the metal up and drilling (4) holes.
img_0650.jpg

img_0651.jpg

img_0652.jpg

img_0653.jpg

img_0654.jpg

img_0655.jpg

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #1080
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if I should stop for today since there is an "Open House" next door...

Nope.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.