Louie4's YJ - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Reply
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #1051
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,894
Tunes.

polk1.jpg

polk2.jpg

__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #1052
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,894
I looked over the speakers and determined I need some hardware. I went to Home Depot to get some wing nuts for the#10-24 studs that hold the speakers in place. With the new Polk speakers (and like the old ones) the tweeters protrude past the mating surface of the outer frame. If you don't use a spacer it will push the tweeter in and pop the back plate off the magnet, thus ruining the speakers.

So I actually found some 1/2" #10 aluminum spacers that worked great. I also put a washer in between so the spacer wouldn't go through the larger holes. Then I used wing nuts on the studs to hold it all down. Now I have speakers that are mounted solidly mounted to the dash. My previous speakers were not and it was something that always bothered me over the years.



I also like to reuse the magnets from old speakers. Here is what I picked up in my gravel driveway. I found more on the second go.

__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #1053
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,894
So I'm still waiting on my Brown Dog mounts and I forgot to mention I went ahead and ordered a spring bushing kit for (1) leaf spring. It will hopefully be here Thursday. So I should have the jeep completely back together then unless the Brown Dog mounts come in. Until then I will not do too much to the jeep. I want to ride it and enjoy the weather. Unfortunately, I probably won't get good riding in until after I am completely moved to Raleigh. The wife and I are going to buy a house so things are starting to get real.

However...I found a M8274 locally for a solid price. I really want to sell my M8000 I rebuilt and put an M8274 on it. My winch works fine but there is something about the 8274 that makes me want to have it. They are just as easy to rebuild and very fast. I will see if I can swing getting an 8274 then selling my M8000 and hopefully come out somewhat even. I wouldn't mind rebuilding the 8274 either. We shall see!

For any history buffs, here is the history of the M8274: Click here

Even better, the history of the Warn Belleview: Click Here
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #1054
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
So I'm still waiting on my Brown Dog mounts and I forgot to mention I went ahead and ordered a spring bushing kit for (1) leaf spring. It will hopefully be here Thursday. So I should have the jeep completely back together then unless the Brown Dog mounts come in. Until then I will not do too much to the jeep. I want to ride it and enjoy the weather. Unfortunately, I probably won't get good riding in until after I am completely moved to Raleigh. The wife and I are going to buy a house so things are starting to get real.

However...I found a M8274 locally for a solid price. I really want to sell my M8000 I rebuilt and put an M8274 on it. My winch works fine but there is something about the 8274 that makes me want to have it. They are just as easy to rebuild and very fast. I will see if I can swing getting an 8274 then selling my M8000 and hopefully come out somewhat even. I wouldn't mind rebuilding the 8274 either. We shall see!

For any history buffs, here is the history of the M8274: Click here

Even better, the history of the Warn Belleview: Click Here
I love my warn belleview although the brake system leaves at lot to be desired it does ok I have seen where one guy converted it to a motorcycle disk brake setup. Id love to find a 8274 as well and keep my 5687 as a trailer winch.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #1055
GrantYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neosho, Missouri
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post

I love my warn belleview although the brake system leaves at lot to be desired it does ok I have seen where one guy converted it to a motorcycle disk brake setup. Id love to find a 8274 as well and keep my 5687 as a trailer winch.
That's just wrong.... That winch does not belong on a trailer.
I've got one that's been sitting on the bench for a couple of years. I've been giving serious consideration to going through it and "loaning" it to my brother to mount on his early Bronco (but yeah, the brakes on the Belleviews aren't all that impressive).

Lou,
If you can swing it (without upsetting the wife), I highly recommend the 8274. Even if she gets upset, they get used to the winch habit after you buy/rebuild/sell a few. My wife doesn't even flinch anymore. At the moment, I'm up to three 8274s, a Belleview, an x8000i, and I picked up a Ramsey Patriot 9500 about a week ago.

One of the 8274s is almost ready to go on the Jeep and I'll sell the 8274 that's on it now.
__________________
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #1056
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
I love my warn belleview although the brake system leaves at lot to be desired it does ok I have seen where one guy converted it to a motorcycle disk brake setup. Id love to find a 8274 as well and keep my 5687 as a trailer winch.
From what I read, the brakes were controlled by a cable inside the cab on the early models. It would be interesting to see if it could be improved. If I found a Belleview I would get it. If you find a good solution to the brake system let me know. I would like to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Lou,
If you can swing it (without upsetting the wife), I highly recommend the 8274. Even if she gets upset, they get used to the winch habit after you buy/rebuild/sell a few. My wife doesn't even flinch anymore. At the moment, I'm up to three 8274s, a Belleview, an x8000i, and I picked up a Ramsey Patriot 9500 about a week ago.

One of the 8274s is almost ready to go on the Jeep and I'll sell the 8274 that's on it now.
I'm going to take the plunge. I sent a PM to the guy that is selling the 8274 locally. If he still has it, I will bite and put my M8000 on CL.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #1057
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,973
Yes there is a cable and a handle in cab you pull and turn to lock it in place but if the drum gets wet its a bit slippy. I have a better pic somewhere of his setup I did find this one though.
Pretty genious actually some day I will do it and plan to rig up a solenoid the operate the caliper.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #1058
GrantYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neosho, Missouri
Posts: 855
His is the nicest I've seen. (Snow mobile brakes if I remember correctly). When I picked up my Belleview, it didn't have any of the interior controls. It just has a normal (single) solenoid attached to what appears to be a remote starter (the under the hood kind) to operate the motor. I've also seen where a fellow used a motor from a Ramsey to make one a "power in/out" winch by using the Ramsey motor housing over the armature from his original motor, but I don't think that it survived too long.

I've been torn which way to go on mine (just purdy'in up what's there, or modding the brake). I'll probably just do the former. I don't want to sell the Belleview, but I've got nothing to put it on. I'll most likely either put it on my brothers Bronco as a permanent loan or the same deal on an old Scout 800 that my dad has if he ever starts rebuilding it.

Either way, if you end up getting it and run into any issues, hit me up. They're pretty easy to go through and are about as bullet proof as you could ask for.
__________________
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #1059
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,894
Thanks guys.

Well I went ahead and put my M8000 on craigslist. It will be a lot easier to get this past the wife if she knows I'm selling something in return. The seller does still have the winch. He's asking $500 but price is negotiable. No remote but he is throwing in the mounting plate. What do you guys think?
m8274.jpg

__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #1060
GrantYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neosho, Missouri
Posts: 855
Seems kinda high, but I'm a patient cheapskate.
__________________
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #1061
bgredjeep
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,734
It looks good. For $500 I'd like to see it run before I paid. If it spools in and out, price a remote, knock that off the top and bring it home. Its a little higher than some I've seen, but from the pics it also looks to be in better shape than the ones I've seen cheaper.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #1062
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Seems kinda high, but I'm a patient cheapskate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
It looks good. For $500 I'd like to see it run before I paid. If it spools in and out, price a remote, knock that off the top and bring it home. Its a little higher than some I've seen, but from the pics it also looks to be in better shape than the ones I've seen cheaper.
The ones I've seen for sale are about $400 on the cheap end, $600 on the high. I did see one for $350 but it was in SC. This one is also 15 minutes from the house.

I usually never pay face value and with no remote I will definitely take that off the top.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #1063
GrantYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neosho, Missouri
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

The ones I've seen for sale are about $400 on the cheap end, $600 on the high. I did see one for $350 but it was in SC. This one is also 15 minutes from the house.

I usually never pay face value and with no remote I will definitely take that off the top.
All good. My view is also clouded due to where I live (on the edge of the Ozarks). Wheeling has been popular here for a very long time and 8274s come up fairly frequently. I have an app on my phone that I use to constantly search for winches (and a whole lot of other stuff) for about a 1 1/2 hour drive in any direction. I normally buy 8274s in the $200-$250 range. While that seems low, I also buy them knowing that they need things. Cable (or rope) is always a given, maybe solenoids, occasionally a motor (which brings the cost down further). I figure, if I'm going to rebuild it, I might as well save one that most would give up on.

On average, I find one for sale that meets my low end criteria once every couple of months. Nice ones (like the one that you're looking at) with about the same frequency. Put together it's an availability of about one a month. For an item like an 8274, that's pretty common (I also snatch them up quick when I find them cheap). I know that you guys don't run across them that often.

I would have figured a fair price on the one you're looking at about $400-$425, or a steal at $350. The mounts are all but impossible to find used and oddly, when you do, they tend to be cheap (I gave $20 for mine).

You can get a great deal on a control unit (solenoids and controller) from Pierce Sales (I recommended them to you for your cable on your 8K planetary), but the plug won't fit the Warn Solenoid cover without some surgery. The solenoids won't fit either unless you change up how they connect (not horrible to do). I believe the solenoid box and controller was $60 from Pierce which is about $10 less than a used Warn controller (just the controller) on e-bay.

I've used their solenoids quite a bit and have yet to have a failure or hear of one on the ones I've sold. I haven't used their controllers (I'll be using them on both Planetary winches once they're done), but how bad could they be? It's just a double momentay switch and some wire. If you go that route, you could use the "trailer plug" style set up like your existing winch has and just ditch the Pierce plugs (as you know, the trailer plugs fit well in a Warn solenoid cover).

If you go that route, I'd recommend scuffing and painting the female trailer plug. I started doing that after surface rust issues started cropping up.
__________________
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #1064
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
All good. My view is also clouded due to where I live (on the edge of the Ozarks). Wheeling has been popular here for a very long time and 8274s come up fairly frequently. I have an app on my phone that I use to constantly search for winches (and a whole lot of other stuff) for about a 1 1/2 hour drive in any direction. I normally buy 8274s in the $200-$250 range. While that seems low, I also buy them knowing that they need things. Cable (or rope) is always a given, maybe solenoids, occasionally a motor (which brings the cost down further). I figure, if I'm going to rebuild it, I might as well save one that most would give up on.

On average, I find one for sale that meets my low end criteria once every couple of months. Nice ones (like the one that you're looking at) with about the same frequency. Put together it's an availability of about one a month. For an item like an 8274, that's pretty common (I also snatch them up quick when I find them cheap). I know that you guys don't run across them that often.

I would have figured a fair price on the one you're looking at about $400-$425, or a steal at $350. The mounts are all but impossible to find used and oddly, when you do, they tend to be cheap (I gave $20 for mine).

You can get a great deal on a control unit (solenoids and controller) from Pierce Sales (I recommended them to you for your cable on your 8K planetary), but the plug won't fit the Warn Solenoid cover without some surgery. The solenoids won't fit either unless you change up how they connect (not horrible to do). I believe the solenoid box and controller was $60 from Pierce which is about $10 less than a used Warn controller (just the controller) on e-bay.

I've used their solenoids quite a bit and have yet to have a failure or hear of one on the ones I've sold. I haven't used their controllers (I'll be using them on both Planetary winches once they're done), but how bad could they be? It's just a double momentay switch and some wire. If you go that route, you could use the "trailer plug" style set up like your existing winch has and just ditch the Pierce plugs (as you know, the trailer plugs fit well in a Warn solenoid cover).

If you go that route, I'd recommend scuffing and painting the female trailer plug. I started doing that after surface rust issues started cropping up.
Thanks for the info Grant and your recommendation on the wire rope from Pierce was great. I got it shipped for $61 IIRC. I'm thinking if I do get this winch I'll hook up a switch in cab like you mentioned and do a controller hunt after. I probably will get another trailer plug as the one I had works great.

Also, what length of wire rope can you get on an M8274?
The M8000 takes 100' of 5/16".
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #1065
GrantYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neosho, Missouri
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

Also, what length of wire rope can you get on an M8274?
The M8000 takes 100' of 5/16".
No problem.

From the factory, they come with 150ft of 5/16" cable. I've never put 5/16" back on one. Mine has 100ft of 1/2" synthetic now and still has plenty of room on the drum. So far, I've sold three 8274s. Each time, they've just taken the synthetic that was on my Jeep and I ordered more for myself.

I know that my line is overkill, but where I wheel, I've never needed more than 100ft (I do carry an extension though). I also like the piece of mind that I'll have to really screw up to break my line ...and if it does, it won't take anybody's head off and then I can tie a knot and get back to business until I can splice it properly.
__________________
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.