Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Louie4's YJ

352K views 3K replies 156 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I figured I would make a "build" thread. I have had my YJ for nearly 10 years and have been doing mods here and there so I won't have a lot of pics of the entire process.

I got my '93 YJ when I turned 16. I paid $1500 at the time which was a steal. I can't find any stock pictures but I have some of the earlier versions.

Some specs as of today:

-3.5" Black Diamond lift springs
-Stock TJ alloy wheels
-Worn out Aurora 31" x 10.5" M/T's (cheap)
-Detroit EZ locker in the rear
-Lock-Right in the front
-Yukon 4.10's front and rear (Yes I still have the D35 and I regeared it:thumbdown:)
-Some kind of hack 'n' tap SYE and a Tom Woods rear driveshaft from a wrecked '95 YJ
-Currie boomerang shackles front and rear
-Herculined Tub

Here's some pics from Tellico when I had 2" double military wrapped springs (complete crap), Liberty all-terrain 30" x 9.5" cheapo tires. I can't remember if I had my rear locker in or not.

I got my SYE from a buddy that worked at the old shop I used to work for.
I had to get the driveshaft shortened because the '95 YJ it came off of was a SOA. Took about 2" out of the center section.

I'm sure a lot of you have had this problem with the rear shock mounts on your Dana 35. I backed into a rock and after a year of on road driving it finally gave out. I replaced them this past April with some generic ones I got from a 4WD shop I rode past. I'll post the new ones up later.
Also, this was the first break. I got my neighbor to weld the piece back on one time and it broke again another year later.

This doesn't show the entire process but it shows some of the gear pattern pics of when I was re-gearing my front and rear axle. I rebuilt both axles replacing all the bearings. I set everything up myself. It was my first gear install and they haven't torn up yet so that's a good sign. I don't know if I would do it again just because of the hassle factor. I don't have all the tools a machine shop has but I have more than the average backyard mechanic. The most important tool I bought was an in-lb torque wrench. I got it from Amazon from a bike shop.

Some of the D30. I had to take the ring gear off to put the locker in. I wasn't thinking and forgot to put it in.

After I re-geared my rpm's went up and vibrations from my front driveshaft were becoming very noticeable on the road. I had originally got a ZJ front driveshaft planning on putting that on the front. I took it to the driveshaft shop and the guy there wouldn't warranty the ZJ one because going to a length of 43" with an O.D. of 1.75" he said it would fail at 3000 rpm's. I was surprised because my stock front driveshaft was that length and I have been running it for a long time. He said he would have to go to a 3" O.D. to warranty it. Well, I ended up spending $50 to have my stock one straightened and balanced. I still have a few vibes but not as bad. Here's some pics of the ZJ front driveshaft and the one I put in.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,327 ·
I could. I know AZdEvilYJ just put some on his YJ. I'm banking on my jeep being down for a while so I don't necessarily need it. It's just nice having a third vehicle just in case. I may wait until bonus time for the motor and try to get the steering and springs before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,329 ·
Good call.

I also think I’ll just get a new steering box from Napa or somewhere and give them my faulty OfferUp one as a core. That will leave Me with my OEM I can have rebuilt, drilled and tapped as needed. I don’t need hydro assist just yet…but I’ll keep my options open.

#2,344 ·
Yesterday was my birthday and I took off work to just wrench on the jeep. That's kind of like my spa day but instead of getting clean and relaxed, you get dirty and achy at the end of the day but the mental cleansing is the key.

I installed my new brake master cylinder to replace my OEM one. The reservoir was cracked due to heat and dry rot. It also clearly had a leak at some point but never got to the point of a drip. I bench bled it with the awful kit that came with it and got brake fluid every where.

Next I took the winch off and pulled the power cables out to put new lugs on it with my crimpers.

#2,345 ·
I also took my bumper off to get access to the steering box. My PSC box comes in today. I determined my OEM box was not rebuildable after striking gold and having it run in a small stream of glitter out the hose fittings on the box.

I also took my rear springs off so I can put my RE 1.5" SOA ones in.

I also removed my rear driveshaft to freshen up the u-joints and put a new centering ball yoke in. I replaced mine on the trail in Moab with one that was old and dried out but still had the needle bearings.

One more bit of good news is I determined the 8.8 pinion flange pinion nut was loose, not a bad bearing. So I need to figure out how to get it to stay.

#2,346 ·
Dang Louie, you had a busy day. If the pinion nut is backing off on its own then you probably need a new one. Did you regear that 8.8?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

#2,348 ·
Here is the spare rear driveshaft. They are stretched to match what full droop looks like. So the spare will work…as a spare.

I just need a flange adapter now.

#2,349 ·
I learned why the dude was selling it now. The yoke on the slip joint was Beaten so bad the snap ring groove closed up. I plan to get a dremel and grind a groove back in it. For $30, I can't even buy a u-joint so I will make it work or get it repaired.

#2,356 ·
Thats definitely a rock magnet. Better spray bomb it black so the rocks can't see it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

#2,357 ·
As soon as I say “I’ve never bashed a rock on my steering box…” well, we know how that ends.

My centering ball rebuild kit has shipped but I’m still waiting on my spring bushings. Once I get the bushings, I’ll have what I need to put the jeep back together.

I used up all my fancy 751 PS fluid but I need to top It off and I have O’Reillys fluid handy…maybe I can mix a little.