Louie4's YJ - Page 63 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #931
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzehentmaier View Post
GENIUS!!!!!!! I just lost about 2 hrs going re-going through your thread. Great vid as well.

Bernie
Thanks! I've done the same with build threads of others...many hours lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
My Saab housing was rusted pretty badly. I covered it with Jb weld
This one looks to be in good shape based on pics I've seen. It should clean up easily then I'll put some paint on it or some kind of sealer. I just need the sensor and I'll be in good shape.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #932
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Messed with the jeep today. I got a wild hair and decided to tweak the steering. After JeeperDon said something about a WJ pitman arm and the length and the drop I went to the JY and got one. I had to grind the keys out of the arm but I have a dremel. My current arm is a stock TJ arm. It's 5.5" eye to eye and a 2" drop. The WJ is 6.5" with a 2". I wanted to gain some of my turning radius back and this seemed to be the ticket. Here's a thread on pirate about the arms.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...reference.html

I will say the turning has improved. I'll try to post some pics later.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #933
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Lou, take a look at JGW: Moab 2013 thread. The guys take a trip to Moab and have some really good pictures and videos. I would really like to do this one day, and we can take the woman with us.

On a side note about July 27th: looks like everyone is ago except Kevin. I've also invited my brother in law to bring the red 95 YJ. It's not modified, but maybe he will catch the bug to wheel it more. Have you talked to anyone on JF to see if they want to meet us there?
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #934
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Lou, take a look at JGW: Moab 2013 thread. The guys take a trip to Moab and have some really good pictures and videos. I would really like to do this one day, and we can take the woman with us.

On a side note about July 27th: looks like everyone is ago except Kevin. I've also invited my brother in law to bring the red 95 YJ. It's not modified, but maybe he will catch the bug to wheel it more. Have you talked to anyone on JF to see if they want to meet us there?
I will check it out. I have not put anything on JF but there is a guy in Knoxville who told me to let him know if we travel because he would like to go. He has a built XJ and a cool guy.

Here's some pics of the pitman arm.

Here are some comparison shots to the stock TJ arm I was running (I got them off Pirate).

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #935
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Any clearance issues with the new pitman arm?when you turn full lock does it hit the bump studs on the knuckles?
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #936
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Any clearance issues with the new pitman arm?when you turn full lock does it hit the bump studs on the knuckles?
No clearance issues that I can see. I can turn to the steering stops going left and just barely touches going right. My jeep finally turns like it did before I upgraded the steering.

I also found a castle nut backed out on the drag link TRE on the knuckle. The goferit allowed the TRE to sit low in the arm. When I put the castle nut on it was tightened down past the cotter pin hole so I put a washer on top then a cotter pin. Well it backed out to the washer so I stacked some underneath the castle nut until it was up near the hole. Steering is better and I aligned the wheel straight also.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #937
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This update is dumb but I parallel parked today and I could really tell the difference in the steering. I am pleased and wish I would have found this arm sooner. I'm thinking a new steering shaft is in order but I may just sleeve my stock on to get some length. The box also has a little play but only side to side but it's also OEM from '93.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #938
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
This update is dumb but I parallel parked today and I could really tell the difference in the steering. I am pleased and wish I would have found this arm sooner. I'm thinking a new steering shaft is in order but I may just sleeve my stock on to get some length. The box also has a little play but only side to side but it's also OEM from '93.
I missed it what did you find?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #939
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
I missed it what did you find?
A WJ pitman arm. It's 1" longer than a stock YJ or TJ arm and since I had to grind out the keyways in the arm I had a lot more adjustability when I installed it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #940
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can you give a summary of your steering set up?
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #941
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Can you give a summary of your steering set up?
Sure. I purchased a Teraflex knuckle from a guy in PA. He also supplied a used drag link that is solid 1.25" rod drilled and tapped. 7/8-18 one end and the stock TRE on the other (pitman). He also made me a 1.25" tie rod (.25" DOM) for use with the same 7/8-18 thread TRE's.

I'm running a sprung under the axle suspension so there will be clearance issues. I drilled out the Teraflex knuckle and installed goferit inserts for the larger TRE's. I flipped the tie rod for ground clearance and flipped the draglink under the knuckle arm for clearance to the frame. I also relocated my extended bumpstops to keep the drag link and frame from contacting on heavy compression.

With the new linkages and knuckle my dropped pitman arm was too low and running into the tie rod. I initially ran a shorty billet steel arm but lost a lot of turning radius. To get a longer arm I bought a Parts Mike steering box relocation bracket that moves the box forward 1" and inward 1/2". I eventually went to a TJ arm (2" drop, 5.5") with the new pitman to tie rod clearance but wasn't satisfied. Finally, JeeperDon mentioned the WJ arm being 6.5" long with the same 2" drop. I measured clearance to the tie rod and it just works. So I got to the JY, found the arm, and grinded the keys out and installed it to my liking.

Works great!

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #942
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I don't have any real updates. However, my buddies and I are wheeling at Adventure Off Road Park in TN July 26-28th. Should be a good ride and hopefully the park is fun.

I have thought about my future plans for the jeep and I figured I'd make a list on here to remember and stay on track.

SOA: I have a need for more articulation out of my jeep. I want to get some 0" lift springs or stock rears, maybe even Waggy springs. I already have the steering in place to make this possible. I would just flip my drag link to the top of the Tera flex arm. I will need a traction bar and a good way to mount it. I've seen many build threads about them so I will just have to do the research.

Dual Batteries: I am finding that I use a lot of juice when wheeling and just driving. I have the Taurus fan and I will wear the battery out with the winch. I also told my wife I would fix the A/C for her at some point. That means the fan will be running as well as the compressor and blower motor. So I think it's a must. I have been reading up on a few write-ups.

High amp alternator: I figure this will get lumped into the dual batteries. My current alternator is from a 1990 Cherokee that I swapped in after mine bit the dust. It's only a matter of time until this one goes.

35" x 12.50 Tires: I'm tired of 33's. They get the job done but I bash too many rocks.

High clearance skid: May get the UCF and get the one for better clearance. I already have a 1" body lift so that's a plus.

These upgrades probably won't happen until I'm finished with my masters this December. But once I'm done and have a full-time engineering job I will be acquiring a better welder and all the parts needed. I can currently make the dual battery tray so that might be the first thing I do.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #943
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will be awaiting updates.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #944
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I will be awaiting updates.
And I will be waiting to update.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #945
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Well I don't have any real updates. However, my buddies and I are wheeling at Adventure Off Road Park in TN July 26-28th. Should be a good ride and hopefully the park is fun.

I have thought about my future plans for the jeep and I figured I'd make a list on here to remember and stay on track.

SOA: I have a need for more articulation out of my jeep. I want to get some 0" lift springs or stock rears, maybe even Waggy springs. I already have the steering in place to make this possible. I would just flip my drag link to the top of the Tera flex arm. I will need a traction bar and a good way to mount it. I've seen many build threads about them so I will just have to do the research.

Dual Batteries: I am finding that I use a lot of juice when wheeling and just driving. I have the Taurus fan and I will wear the battery out with the winch. I also told my wife I would fix the A/C for her at some point. That means the fan will be running as well as the compressor and blower motor. So I think it's a must. I have been reading up on a few write-ups.

High amp alternator: I figure this will get lumped into the dual batteries. My current alternator is from a 1990 Cherokee that I swapped in after mine bit the dust. It's only a matter of time until this one goes.

35" x 12.50 Tires: I'm tired of 33's. They get the job done but I bash too many rocks.

High clearance skid: May get the UCF and get the one for better clearance. I already have a 1" body lift so that's a plus.

These upgrades probably won't happen until I'm finished with my masters this December. But once I'm done and have a full-time engineering job I will be acquiring a better welder and all the parts needed. I can currently make the dual battery tray so that might be the first thing I do.
I'll help you with the spring over and traction bar. I've been thinking about the dual batteries, I'm guessing your going to stay 12 volt but have them in parallel? Dual batteries and HO alternator would be a beast. 35's and a high clearance skid will help tremendously.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.