Louie4's YJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #76
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well once again I have ran into trouble but you get what pay for and I have no room to complain. I drilled and tapped my bumper to hold a 7/16-14 bolt. I did this because I didn't want to use the cheap metric bolts and I had a lot of 7/16 grade 8's at my disposal. I took the gas tank off and used my 3/8" thick backing plates (didn't use the ones supplied) and finally put the tire carrier on to find out its not lining up. I plan on extending the latch parts on the bumper. If any one else has an idea let me know.

image-3628380433.jpg  

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #77
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Well once again I have ran into trouble but you get what pay for and I have no room to complain. I drilled and tapped my bumper to hold a 7/16-14 bolt. I did this because I didn't want to use the cheap metric bolts and I had a lot of 7/16 grade 8's at my disposal. I took the gas tank off and used my 3/8" thick backing plates (didn't use the ones supplied) and finally put the tire carrier on to find out its not lining up. I plan on extending the latch parts on the bumper. If any one else has an idea let me know.
Have you tried putting the spare on it to see if the weight will pull it down closer. Personallly I dont think that latch system works really well. I bought a used one of those bumpers from a guy running it with a 33" spare and it pulled the spindle right out of the weld and he said the latch system was the poorest design. It rattled so bad he said it drove him nutts! I bought it mainly for my front bumper build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/y...umper-1286302/The tire carrier portion Im going to use and get a Spindle from A To Z fab an build a better bumper. I would try and use a latch like BESRK uses on his bumpers.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-along-101332/
I think this bumper is a great base for a Awesome bumper it just needs some slight improvements to make it better. Im am in no way knocking your choice in bumper please dont take this a insult
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #78
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Have you tried putting the spare on it to see if the weight will pull it down closer. Personallly I dont think that latch system works really well. I bought a used one of those bumpers from a guy running it with a 33" spare and it pulled the spindle right out of the weld and he said the latch system was the poorest design. It rattled so bad he said it drove him nutts! I bought it mainly for my front bumper build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/y...umper-1286302/The tire carrier portion Im going to use and get a Spindle from A To Z fab an build a better bumper. I would try and use a latch like BESRK uses on his bumpers.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-along-101332/
I think this bumper is a great base for a Awesome bumper it just needs some slight improvements to make it better. Im am in no way knocking your choice in bumper please dont take this a insult
Thanks for help man. No offense taken whatsoever. The bumper was a good price and I told myself that if I needed to tweak it, I would. I'm thinking a whole new latch system would be a good idea. I really like Eddie's bumpers and I wish I would have saved my nickels but I have a wedding coming up and other major financial decisions. Plus it was better than what I had which was nothing. I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought this and took the risk.

Actually I tried bending the arm down and I even stood on it to try and see if it would give but it didn't. I tried this a couple times and even bounced on the arm while it was swung out.

I'm going to look into a new latch system before I get the angle grinder out.

Thanks again!

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #79
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I plan on tackling the bumper Sunday and working on through the week at work where the welder is. I have an idea on how to do the latch it and I've already placed the order.

http://www.amazon.com/STA-CO-341-R-Action-Threaded-U-Bolt/dp/B0006NC6AI/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1
I also took my Solid cover off the 8.8 because it was leaking after my last rock bashing wheeling trip. So I need to fill it up and take the bumper off Sunday. The gas tank is sitting in the back of the jeep for now. Also my buddy brought me the Daystar extended bumpstops he got me for my birthday a month ago. Good thing too, I pushed on the front driver's side bumpstop and it fell off. Another thing I'm going to do is put the stock pitman arm on because the drag link is still close to the tie rod. I'll take some measurements of the pitman arm/drag link to the tie rod and extended bumpstops to the axle tube.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #80
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a little update.

I got the 8.8 filled up, the bumper and tire carrier off, the new Daystar extended bumpstops on and the stock pitman arm back on. Here's a pic of my steering before and after. The angle on the drag link is a little steeper but I believe this will keep my drag link TRE at the pitman arm from acting as a bumpstop on the tie rod when I'm at full stuff on the driver's side.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #81
jeepin82

1994 YJ Wrangler 

looking good
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #82
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin82 View Post
looking good
Thanks. I should have my Destaco latch in today. If so, I'm going to take the bumper to work and do a little grinding and welding.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #83
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well last night I took my bumper to work and did a little fabbing. All I used was a piece of 2 x 2 angle iron and my Destaco latch 341R. The latch is beefy. Now for some pics.

Here's the Destaco latch:

This is the standard Smittybilt tire carrier end. All that stuff was in the way to I cut it flush and put a plate over it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #84
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had to clean off the bumper as well to make room for the new metal.

Then I made a backing plate for the tire carrier so it wouldn't go into the tailgate. I think I'm going to put some kind of rubber on it as well.

Next I welded the Destaco Latch onto the tire carrier. I didn't want to fool with drilling it and having to put bolts through it. Water might get in there and cause issues later down the line. I know my welds aren't the best but the last time I put a hood on was over a year ago.

The progress thus far.

I also found out my shirt wasn't fireproof...huh.

For the final part I cut a piece of angle to size to weld the hook on for the latch. None of this is very pretty but I'm going for function over fashion.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #85
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Finally the nearly completed product. I need to get some paint for it. I had to flap disc quite a bit of powdercoat off. I think I'm just going to slap some textured black on there. I don't want to strip the entire thing down. It's not pretty but its 100 times better than the stock setup and a lot stronger.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #86
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Finally done with the tire carrier.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #87
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Finally done with the tire carrier.

looks good
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #88
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
looks good
Thanks man. I appreciate it. Now I just need to find a permanent spot for my tag. As of now it's ziptied to the spare tire.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #89
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good Louie!
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-1st-jeep-build-1993yj-938195/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1971-cj5-dorothy-1122276/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build[/SIZE][/B]:[SIZE="3"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1953-cj-b3-ray-1268717/#post12217917[/url][/SIZE]]

[B][I]Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior[/I][/B]
1993BlackYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #90
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993BlackYJ View Post
Looks good Louie!
Thanks!

Well I am going to put my dropped pitman arm back on as the extended bumpstops might not be of much help plus I have a little bit of room. I also put some eyelets on the side of the back fenderwells to hold down my tool boxes. My buddy picked them up for me and let me use his rivet gun.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.