Louie4's YJ - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Reply
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #871
CDW_327
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Commerce MI/Traverse city MI, Michigan
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787
I'm thinking of trying it Lou, not sure how it will do to be honest. So it has the 3.21's but I wanted atleast the 3.73's for towing purpose alone. Couldn't get them so stuck with the smaller ratio. But it's all interstate and not to hilly from my place to knoxvegas so I think it would be fine.
Get a big trans cooler and a trans temp gauge and keep the temp under 260!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

__________________
Getting Redemption: 93 YJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yj-redemption-93-wrangler-build-1368262/
CDW_327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #872
trailrider787
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Buford, Georgia
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327

Get a big trans cooler and a trans temp gauge and keep the temp under 260!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Point taken. I plan to do that at some point, I've heard it's a big problem with them.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #873
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,907
Sounds like a plan to me.

I also have a question that is kind of random. Where does the front mounting bolt for your parking brake pedal bolt to?

Mine bolts to a piece of metal that appears to have broken off from whatever it was attached to. So the front mounting bolt near the dash is just floating which causes the pedal to move towards the corner of the floor pan. I will probably take it out tomorrow and look at it.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #874
trailrider787
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Buford, Georgia
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Sounds like a plan to me.

I also have a question that is kind of random. Where does the front mounting bolt for your parking brake pedal bolt to?

Mine bolts to a piece of metal that appears to have broken off from whatever it was attached to. So the front mounting bolt near the dash is just floating which causes the pedal to move towards the corner of the floor pan. I will probably take it out tomorrow and look at it.
The metal piece attaches to the side wall or quarter panel. But mine is broken to, so it floats there. Doesn't cause to many issues right now. My parking brake doesn't work right now anyways because one of my studs on the super 88 axle shaft driver side found a way to unscrew itself and it destroyed my parking brake pads and rest of the hardware. So I just removed everything. I will eventually do a parking brake mounted on the transfer case.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #875
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
The metal piece attaches to the side wall or quarter panel. But mine is broken to, so it floats there. Doesn't cause to many issues right now. My parking brake doesn't work right now anyways because one of my studs on the super 88 axle shaft driver side found a way to unscrew itself and it destroyed my parking brake pads and rest of the hardware. So I just removed everything. I will eventually do a parking brake mounted on the transfer case.
I made a bracket out of a bent piece of 1/4" plate. I am bolting it to the metal dash. I think it will help a lot. I also welded the arm on my side view mirror. It cracked from all the moving around.

Pics to follow tomorrow.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #876
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
 
'92 vegas YJ's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 2,381
What are you doing Memorial weekend? Thinking about hitting up Windrock.
__________________
~'92 YJ with many upgrades and many more calling my name..... it never ends
~'07.5 Dodge Ram Megacab 2500, 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #877
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
What are you doing Memorial weekend? Thinking about hitting up Windrock.
My wife's Birthday is the following Wednesday. I need to see if she wants to celebrate Memorial Day Weekend or the following. Let's hope for the latter.

You going to be there Friday through Sunday?
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #878
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
 
'92 vegas YJ's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
What are you doing Memorial weekend? Thinking about hitting up Windrock.
My wife's Birthday is the following Wednesday. I need to see if she wants to celebrate Memorial Day Weekend or the following. Let's hope for the latter.

You going to be there Friday through Sunday?
That's what im aiming for. Just depends when i get off work that Fri.
__________________
~'92 YJ with many upgrades and many more calling my name..... it never ends
~'07.5 Dodge Ram Megacab 2500, 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #879
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
That's what im aiming for. Just depends when i get off work that Fri.
Sweet. I am sure I can at least do a day ride.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #880
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,907
Well I was looking around YJ Tech and saw this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...ushing-522060/

Then I went to check my AX-15 tower and put my order in. I also cut the Z gate out of the t-case shifter.



I also snapped a shot of the jeep from the front. I don't know if I showed my new stubby front bumper.

__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #881
GrantYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neosho, Missouri
Posts: 862
Lou,
I've been putting off getting caught up on your thread for a while (since before you got married, congratulations!). Anyway, while catching up, I saw that you weren't impressed with your welder. I know that you said it was doing better now that you've gotten used to it, but I learned a trick from an old welder that I used to work with that could be of some benefiet to you.

Take a chunk of welding cable (maybe 6"-8") strip off all the insulation, wrap copuious amounts of electrical tape around each end, and twist it as tight as you can. Then fold it in half, twist it up again, and tape the two previously taped ends together. Now take the biggest hammer you have and proceed to smash it as flat as you can.

Anytime you weld, put this wad of twisted smashed fine strand copper in the ground clamp of your welder between one of the jaws and the workpiece. Instead of having (at best) three or four ground points, you now literally have thousands of contact points for the ground.

I've never found a welder (regardless of price) that wasn't noticabley easier to use when using one of these. I have an old Campbell Hausfeld wire feed (flux only, not even mig) that I bought close to 20 years ago that gives very inconsistent results without one of these, but is a great little welder with one.
__________________
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #882
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Lou,
I've been putting off getting caught up on your thread for a while (since before you got married, congratulations!). Anyway, while catching up, I saw that you weren't impressed with your welder. I know that you said it was doing better now that you've gotten used to it, but I learned a trick from an old welder that I used to work with that could be of some benefiet to you.

Take a chunk of welding cable (maybe 6"-8") strip off all the insulation, wrap copuious amounts of electrical tape around each end, and twist it as tight as you can. Then fold it in half, twist it up again, and tape the two previously taped ends together. Now take the biggest hammer you have and proceed to smash it as flat as you can.

Anytime you weld, put this wad of twisted smashed fine strand copper in the ground clamp of your welder between one of the jaws and the workpiece. Instead of having (at best) three or four ground points, you now literally have thousands of contact points for the ground.

I've never found a welder (regardless of price) that wasn't noticabley easier to use when using one of these. I have an old Campbell Hausfeld wire feed (flux only, not even mig) that I bought close to 20 years ago that gives very inconsistent results without one of these, but is a great little welder with one.
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try it as I think the small ground clamp does not provide that great of a connection. I will try to snag some cable from somewhere in town and do what you suggested.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #883
GrantYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neosho, Missouri
Posts: 862
I keep a few of them with the welders all the time. Whenever someone asks what it is and why I'm using it, I let them lay a bead without it and then one with it. After they see why, I give them one.

The old guy that showed me this was a crabby old fart, but was the best welder I've ever met. I was taking a Manufacturing Engineering class in college which consisted of 1/4 class time and the rest of the time we were working with local industries. I kept going and asking the aforementioned grumpy guy if they could weld various parts. Each time, he'd glare at me for a minute and then say "Yes". One day, he didn't say yes, he held out a stick of gum. I told him no thanks and he said "take it". I did, and he took the foil wrapper, and one from a piece that then chewed. After this, he lined up the two wrappers on their jagged edges and proceeded to TIG weld them together and told me that he could weld anything that needed welding. I still have the welded wrappers somewhere (this was in the mid 90s).

Before he started welding them, he put in a sharp tipped electrode and added in some homemade box with a rheostat that he put between the foot pedal and the machine. Beyond that, I still don't have a clue how he did it, but apparently, he was well known for doing this to prove a point.
He ended up being a wealth of knowledge and a pretty cool old guy. Just had to learn how to get past the grumpiness...
__________________
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #884
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 1,629
That reminds me of when I used to work at Skyline. We used to have welding competitions on the lunch break sometimes. I butt welded a couple beer cans together once and won that round. The guy I learned from could weld a couple razor blades edge to edge.
__________________
***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #885
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,907
I replaced the shift tower bushing on my AX-15 and the small bushing on the shift knob. Seems to have taken up some slop and gives a better feel. I didn't take any pics as I was lazy. I did notice I needed to replace my shift tower boot. So I'll get a new one of those and maybe snap some pics.

I recommend repairing this since it's only $12. Here is the thread I referenced.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...ushing-522060/
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.