Louie4's YJ - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #841
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Do you have a link for it? Is it a disk or drum setup?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Disk.

Tom Woods

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

rotor-kit.jpg   rotor-kit-install.jpg  
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #842
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Now is a good time to install a shaft brake if you have any interest in that set up... I love mine, but still haven't gotten to use it on the trails yet...
I'd love to have that setup but it's not in the budget at this time. Maybe in a year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Post up a pic of the shaft now if you can. You might be able to use an Xj cv joint on there.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Gross!

I'll be curious what you figure out. I still *bet* you can take the entire double cardon joint off an XJ shaft and tie it into your Tom Wood's shaft with the ujoint on the shaft side of the cardon joint. Of course I'm going off of the shaft I have in my jeep and the one I have on my work bench. I might be visualizing your situation incorrectly.
There is no doubt I can use the XJ CV joints after taking it apart. I will wait to see what TW says or I may look around some more for a new ball centering kit. I don't want to put a used one in if I'm going through the hassle of disassembling the entire shaft. I took all the other u-joint out and it was fine. I'll most likely replace them all though.

Here is a shot of the front axle under the jeep. It's not very good though. I got the tires on and all I need to do now is fill the D30 up with fluid.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #843
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got to go to the junkyard today and get a few things. I started to find different color speedometer gears while looking for a front driveshaft out of a cherokee or a grand and kept them hoping one would be the right tooth count. It looks like I got a 34 tooth which is what google says I need for 4.10's and 33's. My stock one is 30 tooth so it looks like I may have gotten lucky.

I also found one front driveshaft out a grand cherokee. It is in good shape too. I took the double cardan apart and merged it with my Tom Woods. I also put the Spicer u-joints from the cherokee shaft in because they were in good shape.

Here is the finished product. I also found out there was suppose to be a spring in the small post which my TW didn't have. I may have lost it years ago.

I also received my speedometer pinion o-ring and isolator bushings today.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #844
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet. I wanted to bet that would work; glad it did. I had never considered raiding Speedo gears. Did you take then from transfer cases or transmissions?
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #845
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Sweet. I wanted to bet that would work; glad it did. I had never considered raiding Speedo gears. Did you take then from transfer cases or transmissions?
Thanks for the ideas. I took the speedo gears from t-cases out of Grand Cherokees and Cherokees. Everyone I raided had a different tooth count except for the last one. Another thing to consider is the gears I snagged have a larger diameter than my stock 30 tooth so I am interested to see if the gear will actually work. It fit in the t-case and when I turned the output yoke I removed it and saw that it moved. So I'm hopeful.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #846
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got the jeep driveable again and it rides pretty good. I put a 36 tooth speedo gear in and I think that's the proper one. Everything feels pretty tight and definitely not as much slop as it use to have. I went ahead and changed the pinion seal on the D30. It started to leak even after I put a new yoke and seal in about a year ago. I also think I found the reason. It seems that the pinion yoke had just a slight amount of play in it. So I took the yoke on and off about 15 times changing preload bearings till I got the right feel. I am pretty happy with how it rides.

Here is the front axle all said and done.

The next few things on the list are:

-Straighten and weld body mounts
-Take the bumper off and cap that one end
-Wash it
-Adjust the top once it gets warm
-New seats from a junkyard

I actually toyed with the welder and adjusted the wire speed and it seems to be laying down a better weld so I have more confidence in it. I think I just need to practice with the rest of the wire on the spool and get the feel.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #847
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear its back on the road. I wonder if you could find some seats from a camaro or something that has more side bolster to hold you in place. Maybe modify them to fit? A lot of hot rod guys do that trick.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #848
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Glad to hear its back on the road. I wonder if you could find some seats from a camaro or something that has more side bolster to hold you in place. Maybe modify them to fit? A lot of hot rod guys do that trick.
I've heard acura's have good side bolsters.
Lookin good Lou glad you got it back on the road.
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #849
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
I've heard acura's have good side bolsters.
Lookin good Lou glad you got it back on the road.
Thanks guys. Well after I got it back from the test drive it went right back in the garage. I took out the drivers side body mount bolts and loosened the pass. side ones. I still need to remove the ones near the gas tank. Then I'm going to weld the body mounts to the frame after I straighten them. At least i can move the jeep around if needed.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #850
exige05
1988 YJ Wrangler 

image-801219962.jpg

Seats out of an 03 Subaru wrx. Insanely comfy and great bolsters. It's gonna take some modding to work though
exige05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #851
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

VW Golf seats are similar to the Subaru's especially the GTI models. Probably a bit smaller overall tho, you can drive from coast to coast in them no problemo. I've done it before and didn't even get itchy.
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #852
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'll keep my eye out at the junkyard. Here is my body mount on the drivers side near the rear tire. I have since bent it back and welded it but the pic sucks due to poor lighting. I'll post the fix later this week.
photo-2.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #853
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got the jeep out today after fixing the body mounts.

Here's a before and after:

This was the worst one:

Here's the other:

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #854
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow thats clean work - you would never know. In case yu ever get real rich, check these out... I need to start playing lotto or something http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=BMT2001
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #855
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I never could figure out why jeep didn't weld those mounts on the top. Since water is bound to collect there and rot them out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.