Louie4's YJ - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 03-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #826
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

Thanks. I was wondering what it could be. I even had Tom Woods himself say it was one of his but I was doubtful his company would sell that setup.
Yeah it's defiantly a RE setup. It's not a bad setup if you have the actual seal flange they sell, I run this setup and I like it...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 03-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #827
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe someone can answer this. Can I buy the ball centering kit from Napa based on the link below:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm

Or do I need to get a new setup from Tom Woods since that is who makes my driveshaft? I'm thinking I have to get it from TW but it would be nice to have that instant gratification.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #828
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe someone can answer this. Can I buy the ball centering kit from Napa based on the link below:

Or do I need to get a new setup from Tom Woods since that is who makes my driveshaft? I'm thinking I have to get it from TW but it would be nice to have that instant gratification.
From what I understand you have to send the drive shaft out to TW. I have the same shaft as you and it looks like the only way you would get regular yoke on there would to have the flange cut off and the yoke/ball welded on. I would call TW though.

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #829
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post

I don't know about a kit, but I have that section of a driveshaft on my workbench right now. It came from a $30 junkyard driveshaft. I would actually wager that Tom Woods uses the same Spicer joint as found in junkyard shafts. I bet you could find a good one off a clean XJ too.

Edit: If it were me, I would gamble on an XJ driveshaft. I think the joints are standard and you would end up with a good yoke to match you tcase. My reasoning is that if you can't get the CV (wrong word I know) internal parts, you could just use the XJ section and pair it at the ujoint.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #830
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt

I don't know about a kit, but I have that section of a driveshaft on my workbench right now. It came from a $30 junkyard driveshaft. I would actually wager that Tom Woods uses the same Spicer joint as found in junkyard shafts. I bet you could find a good one off a clean XJ too.

Edit: If it were me, I would gamble on an XJ driveshaft. I think the joints are standard and you would end up with a good yoke to match you tcase.
When I got my RE h&t I was going to try to use a cut down front Xj driveshaft with a spicer flange adapter but I decided to just use a TW one. Idk if you can simply remove the flange on your drive shaft and put a yoke style on it, I always thought it had to be cut off and a new piece welded on.

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #831
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post

Edit: If it were me, I would gamble on an XJ driveshaft. I think the joints are standard and you would end up with a good yoke to match you tcase. My reasoning is that if you can't get the CV (wrong word I know) internal parts, you could just use the XJ section and pair it at the ujoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
When I got my RE h&t I was going to try to use a cut down front Xj driveshaft with a spicer flange adapter but I decided to just use a TW one. Idk if you can simply remove the flange on your drive shaft and put a yoke style on it, I always thought it had to be cut off and a new piece welded on.

I think what I'll do is take off the flange and see how that looks and compare it to Stu's Offroad link. I've replaced the flange once years ago so we'll see.

I also emailed TW to get their input. They are good guys over there and Tom Woods himself has even called me up to discuss technical issues.

If it looks like I can use parts from an XJ I will head to the Pull-a-part.

Thanks guys.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #832
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think what I'll do is take off the flange and see how that looks and compare it to Stu's Offroad link. I've replaced the flange once years ago so we'll see.

I also emailed TW to get their input. They are good guys over there and Tom Woods himself has even called me up to discuss technical issues.

If it looks like I can use parts from an XJ I will head to the Pull-a-part.

Thanks guys.
Another option would to just use a Xj front shaft and have it cut down, could probably have the whole setup for like $75. It wouldn't be a strong as the TW but it would be fine I would think. I can't imagine that TW would charge you all that much to make your current shaft work with the new sye either.

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #833
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Lou, take off the flange on the drive shaft and you can probably use some u bolt style straps with the yoke that comes with the advanced adapters slip yoke eliminator. The yoke is already drilled out to slide bolts through to screw into the piece that your talking about getting. So the straps should work. That's what I would do, cause all it would cost would be the straps. I could check on mine when I get home from savannah and check to see if it would work. Looks like you adapter flange on the driveshaft is held on by two circle clips right? It would be easy to remove?
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #834
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Lou, take off the flange on the drive shaft and you can probably use some u bolt style straps with the yoke that comes with the advanced adapters slip yoke eliminator. The yoke is already drilled out to slide bolts through to screw into the piece that your talking about getting. So the straps should work. That's what I would do, cause all it would cost would be the straps. I could check on mine when I get home from savannah and check to see if it would work. Looks like you adapter flange on the driveshaft is held on by two circle clips right? It would be easy to remove?
If I do that then the centering ball will not have anything to stick into. I will take it off and provide pics.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #835
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The centering ball butts up against the u joint. You would leave the u joint. So the centering ball shouldn't be affected.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #836
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
The centering ball butts up against the u joint. You would leave the u joint. So the centering ball shouldn't be affected.
Here is what I found. One of my u-joints is toast and pitted. There were needle fragments but mainly just dust. I do think the XJ ball centering kit would work.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #837
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gross!

I'll be curious what you figure out. I still *bet* you can take the entire double cardon joint off an XJ shaft and tie it into your Tom Wood's shaft with the ujoint on the shaft side of the cardon joint. Of course I'm going off of the shaft I have in my jeep and the one I have on my work bench. I might be visualizing your situation incorrectly.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #838
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Now is a good time to install a shaft brake if you have any interest in that set up... I love mine, but still haven't gotten to use it on the trails yet...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #839
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ
Now is a good time to install a shaft brake if you have any interest in that set up... I love mine, but still haven't gotten to use it on the trails yet...
Do you have a link for it? Is it a disk or drum setup?

Unread 03-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #840
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Here is what I found. One of my u-joints is toast and pitted. There were needle fragments but mainly just dust. I do think the XJ ball centering kit would work.
Post up a pic of the shaft now if you can. You might be able to use an Xj cv joint on there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.