Louie4's YJ - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Reply
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #781
trailrider787
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Buford, Georgia
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

I hasn't caused a problem as of yet but when I noticed I pushed on the shaft at the slip joint and it had some play plus I saw the tension spring peeping out of the outer part.

So while I haven't had any problems, it's best to address it when I can.
Ok, I had to take the end loose off the box in order to get it forward enough to bolt everything up. I'm thinking the slip part of the shaft is maxed out, I'm going to play with it more later this week. Not in the mood for spending more money especially after having to replace the springs.

trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #782
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Ok, I had to take the end loose off the box in order to get it forward enough to bolt everything up. I'm thinking the slip part of the shaft is maxed out, I'm going to play with it more later this week. Not in the mood for spending more money especially after having to replace the springs.
Do what NHfireYJ did. See post #89.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...35/index6.html

You could snag a spare steering shaft from a cherokee and hack it up.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #783
trailrider787
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Buford, Georgia
Posts: 460
Might have to so that.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #784
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,924
The jeep in it's new home.
jeep.jpg  
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #785
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 3,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The jeep in it's new home.
Congrats on the garage purchase.....

Oh and the house too
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #786
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
 
'92 vegas YJ's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 2,384
Very nice. Congrats
__________________
~'92 YJ with many upgrades and many more calling my name..... it never ends
~'07.5 Dodge Ram Megacab 2500, 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #787
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,924
Well we're pretty much settled in at the house. I've taken care of a few things so now I think I can tinker in the garage.

I have a (2) 4' fluorescent hanging lights I need to install. One I bought and the other I found in the basement. They have a standard 3 prong plug on them but I found a wire at the back of the garage I can make work.

Another thing I am going to get is a floor jack. Not the dinky small ones, a bigger one. I was thinking Big Red but if anyone has other suggestions for getting one at a local store let me know.

I cranked the jeep up yesterday and cleaned some stuff out of the way in the garage. I noticed a good pool or gear oil from the front pass. side and a drip from the diff. I went ahead and ordered (2) pass. side axle seals, the intermediate shaft bushing, and a pinion seal (it seems to be leaking too). I may clean the axle up a bit and throw some paint on it. The next step is to repair the body mounts. I plan on taking the bolts out of one side, loosening the others and jacking up the body. Put a jackstand to hold it up and then jack up the sunk in mounts and weld the tops to the frame.

I need to change the transmission fluid and repair my torque arm stud and bushings yet again. I keep deforming the cross member/skid which keeps pushing the stud up and crushing the bushings. I plan on getting a UCF high clearance skid in the next several months.

I also need to replace my cross pin in my D30 and put a proper roll pin in. Years ago I think I installed the wrong cross pin and the roll pin was too big. It went in but not all we way and when I tried to get it out I broke several drill bits. I plan on doing it right this time.

Once all that is done I can at least drive it around town.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #788
trailrider787
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Buford, Georgia
Posts: 460
I got a 3 ton jack from auto zone. Along with a pair of 3 ton jack stands. I've been very pleased with it and they are pretty stout. Can't remember how much I paid though.

Don't forget I have the D30 carrier and the xj shafts.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #789
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
I got a 3 ton jack from auto zone. Along with a pair of 3 ton jack stands. I've been very pleased with it and they are pretty stout. Can't remember how much I paid though.

Don't forget I have the D30 carrier and the xj shafts.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I still have a spare for the pass. side I believe. Once I break that one the XJ shafts are going in.

Do you remember how much the Autozone jack was?
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #790
trailrider787
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Buford, Georgia
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I still have a spare for the pass. side I believe. Once I break that one the XJ shafts are going in.

Do you remember how much the Autozone jack was?
I think it was around 150 for the jack and stands. I can't remember. I went to autozone online but didn't see my jack. Sears may have good deals, but they haven't impressed me. My dad has gone through a few.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #791
jeepnrover
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Harrisonburg, Virginia
Posts: 144
I think this is my favorite build thread on the whole forum. Congrats on the garage; makes things a heck of a lot easier. Garage use is basically the main reason why I come home from college every weekend.
__________________
[]lllllll[] 1995 Sahara edition
Previous Jeep: 1991 Islander edition
ARB bull bar, Ground Pounder Fab rear bumper, OME kit with MORE 3/8" booms, 31" BFG A/T's, etc.
jeepnrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #792
DW8520
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 18
If your a Costco member, I remember seeing a nice jack there for sale. They have a pretty good return policy too. If you're able to break it, they'll exchange for a new one.
DW8520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #793
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,668
Very happy with my Big Red jack...
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #794
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Well we're pretty much settled in at the house. I've taken care of a few things so now I think I can tinker in the garage.

I have a (2) 4' fluorescent hanging lights I need to install. One I bought and the other I found in the basement. They have a standard 3 prong plug on them but I found a wire at the back of the garage I can make work.

Another thing I am going to get is a floor jack. Not the dinky small ones, a bigger one. I was thinking Big Red but if anyone has other suggestions for getting one at a local store let me know.

I cranked the jeep up yesterday and cleaned some stuff out of the way in the garage. I noticed a good pool or gear oil from the front pass. side and a drip from the diff. I went ahead and ordered (2) pass. side axle seals, the intermediate shaft bushing, and a pinion seal (it seems to be leaking too). I may clean the axle up a bit and throw some paint on it. The next step is to repair the body mounts. I plan on taking the bolts out of one side, loosening the others and jacking up the body. Put a jackstand to hold it up and then jack up the sunk in mounts and weld the tops to the frame.

I need to change the transmission fluid and repair my torque arm stud and bushings yet again. I keep deforming the cross member/skid which keeps pushing the stud up and crushing the bushings. I plan on getting a UCF high clearance skid in the next several months.

I also need to replace my cross pin in my D30 and put a proper roll pin in. Years ago I think I installed the wrong cross pin and the roll pin was too big. It went in but not all we way and when I tried to get it out I broke several drill bits. I plan on doing it right this time.

Once all that is done I can at least drive it around town.
Congrats on the garage!
I got my Sears (craftsman) 3-ton HD with the pair of jack stands on sale for $100 about 20 yrs ago. Still going strong. Very heavy long-frame jack, you try not to pick it up very oftem because it weighs a large fraction of my own weight I have to get help to put it in a truck bed... I've serviced everything with it including fully assembled concrete forms and semi trucks at work. In addition to my own junk.
__________________
***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #795
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 3,005
Can't beat $10 at a garage sale. It came with stands too that are currently holding up my Dana 30. Old Penske car care.

forumrunner_20130209_113450.jpg
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.