Louie4's YJ - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #781
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

I hasn't caused a problem as of yet but when I noticed I pushed on the shaft at the slip joint and it had some play plus I saw the tension spring peeping out of the outer part.

So while I haven't had any problems, it's best to address it when I can.
Ok, I had to take the end loose off the box in order to get it forward enough to bolt everything up. I'm thinking the slip part of the shaft is maxed out, I'm going to play with it more later this week. Not in the mood for spending more money especially after having to replace the springs.

trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #782
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Ok, I had to take the end loose off the box in order to get it forward enough to bolt everything up. I'm thinking the slip part of the shaft is maxed out, I'm going to play with it more later this week. Not in the mood for spending more money especially after having to replace the springs.
Do what NHfireYJ did. See post #89.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...35/index6.html

You could snag a spare steering shaft from a cherokee and hack it up.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #783
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Might have to so that.
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #784
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep in it's new home.
jeep.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #785
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The jeep in it's new home.
Congrats on the garage purchase.....

Oh and the house too
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #786
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. Congrats

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #787
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well we're pretty much settled in at the house. I've taken care of a few things so now I think I can tinker in the garage.

I have a (2) 4' fluorescent hanging lights I need to install. One I bought and the other I found in the basement. They have a standard 3 prong plug on them but I found a wire at the back of the garage I can make work.

Another thing I am going to get is a floor jack. Not the dinky small ones, a bigger one. I was thinking Big Red but if anyone has other suggestions for getting one at a local store let me know.

I cranked the jeep up yesterday and cleaned some stuff out of the way in the garage. I noticed a good pool or gear oil from the front pass. side and a drip from the diff. I went ahead and ordered (2) pass. side axle seals, the intermediate shaft bushing, and a pinion seal (it seems to be leaking too). I may clean the axle up a bit and throw some paint on it. The next step is to repair the body mounts. I plan on taking the bolts out of one side, loosening the others and jacking up the body. Put a jackstand to hold it up and then jack up the sunk in mounts and weld the tops to the frame.

I need to change the transmission fluid and repair my torque arm stud and bushings yet again. I keep deforming the cross member/skid which keeps pushing the stud up and crushing the bushings. I plan on getting a UCF high clearance skid in the next several months.

I also need to replace my cross pin in my D30 and put a proper roll pin in. Years ago I think I installed the wrong cross pin and the roll pin was too big. It went in but not all we way and when I tried to get it out I broke several drill bits. I plan on doing it right this time.

Once all that is done I can at least drive it around town.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #788
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got a 3 ton jack from auto zone. Along with a pair of 3 ton jack stands. I've been very pleased with it and they are pretty stout. Can't remember how much I paid though.

Don't forget I have the D30 carrier and the xj shafts.
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #789
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
I got a 3 ton jack from auto zone. Along with a pair of 3 ton jack stands. I've been very pleased with it and they are pretty stout. Can't remember how much I paid though.

Don't forget I have the D30 carrier and the xj shafts.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I still have a spare for the pass. side I believe. Once I break that one the XJ shafts are going in.

Do you remember how much the Autozone jack was?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #790
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I still have a spare for the pass. side I believe. Once I break that one the XJ shafts are going in.

Do you remember how much the Autozone jack was?
I think it was around 150 for the jack and stands. I can't remember. I went to autozone online but didn't see my jack. Sears may have good deals, but they haven't impressed me. My dad has gone through a few.
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #791
jeepnrover
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think this is my favorite build thread on the whole forum. Congrats on the garage; makes things a heck of a lot easier. Garage use is basically the main reason why I come home from college every weekend.
jeepnrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #792
DW8520
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If your a Costco member, I remember seeing a nice jack there for sale. They have a pretty good return policy too. If you're able to break it, they'll exchange for a new one.
DW8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #793
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Very happy with my Big Red jack...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #794
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Well we're pretty much settled in at the house. I've taken care of a few things so now I think I can tinker in the garage.

I have a (2) 4' fluorescent hanging lights I need to install. One I bought and the other I found in the basement. They have a standard 3 prong plug on them but I found a wire at the back of the garage I can make work.

Another thing I am going to get is a floor jack. Not the dinky small ones, a bigger one. I was thinking Big Red but if anyone has other suggestions for getting one at a local store let me know.

I cranked the jeep up yesterday and cleaned some stuff out of the way in the garage. I noticed a good pool or gear oil from the front pass. side and a drip from the diff. I went ahead and ordered (2) pass. side axle seals, the intermediate shaft bushing, and a pinion seal (it seems to be leaking too). I may clean the axle up a bit and throw some paint on it. The next step is to repair the body mounts. I plan on taking the bolts out of one side, loosening the others and jacking up the body. Put a jackstand to hold it up and then jack up the sunk in mounts and weld the tops to the frame.

I need to change the transmission fluid and repair my torque arm stud and bushings yet again. I keep deforming the cross member/skid which keeps pushing the stud up and crushing the bushings. I plan on getting a UCF high clearance skid in the next several months.

I also need to replace my cross pin in my D30 and put a proper roll pin in. Years ago I think I installed the wrong cross pin and the roll pin was too big. It went in but not all we way and when I tried to get it out I broke several drill bits. I plan on doing it right this time.

Once all that is done I can at least drive it around town.
Congrats on the garage!
I got my Sears (craftsman) 3-ton HD with the pair of jack stands on sale for $100 about 20 yrs ago. Still going strong. Very heavy long-frame jack, you try not to pick it up very oftem because it weighs a large fraction of my own weight I have to get help to put it in a truck bed... I've serviced everything with it including fully assembled concrete forms and semi trucks at work. In addition to my own junk.
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #795
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can't beat $10 at a garage sale. It came with stands too that are currently holding up my Dana 30. Old Penske car care.

forumrunner_20130209_113450.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.