Louie4's YJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #61
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice build! I want to do half that stuff to mine eventually (being broke sucks...) Might want to find a reputable electric motor shop in your area and have them test the motor for burned or shorted windings. Usually the industrial motor outfits can actually rebuild and rewind electric motors.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #62
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

I'm going to ask around at work about a place that might rewind them. We'll see I guess. More pics.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #63
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's everything bead blasted and degreased. Everything was gross. I'm pretty sure the horrible smell was the burnt varnish from the windings.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #64
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Some pics of the progress. I have 2 threads right now on this winch rebuild but I figure my actual build thread needed them too.

I threaded the aluminum rods but I need to get some shorter bolts. I'm going to ACE to get some 5/16-18 socket head cap screws.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #65
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Winch is lookin good. Wish I had the budget for that LOL hey, if yer into engineering and want to see some interesting winch deals (among other things) I highly recommend you check out www.surpluscenter.com
They deal in industrial and military surplus, including winches. I've got my eyes on a hydraulic setup in case I ever have the $$$ in a year or two. That or one of the rebuild Ramsey's. Not to mention they have all kinds of air compressor stuff, electrics, PTO stuff, etc.
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #66
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Something like this:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...atname=winches

Gonna have to save my nickels...
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #67
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Winch is lookin good. Wish I had the budget for that LOL.
The cost hasn't been too bad but I also took on the project to keep my busy.

Here's a breakdown of cost so far:

$39 for Warn parts (gaskets, thrust washer, sticker, drum bushings)
$5 for a 5/16"-18 tap
$7 for a can of metallic paint
$10 for new bolts
$7.25 for a can of electrical cleaner
$5 for grease

So about $72 versus a new winch. Plus I have to get the motor rebuilt which might set me back a little. However it will be brand new pretty much.

I'm debating on putting the old cable back on. I really want synthetic but that's going to add another couple hundred bucks.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #68
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The cost hasn't been too bad but I also took on the project to keep my busy.

So about $72 versus a new winch. Plus I have to get the motor rebuilt which might set me back a little. However it will be brand new pretty much.

I'm debating on putting the old cable back on. I really want synthetic but that's going to add another couple hundred bucks.
Not as bad as I thought. Yeah the electrics will cost some. Why not just get a new steel cable? I'm pretty sure its cheaper than synthetic.
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #69
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not as bad as I thought. Yeah the electrics will cost some. Why not just get a new steel cable? I'm pretty sure its cheaper than synthetic.
I was thinking it might keep from digging into my bumper (the bottom mounting plate) and aluminum rods, it will reduce weight, less likely to kink, a little safer and easier to handle when I'm dragging it up a steep hill. I'm also hoping it keeps the drum from getting scuffed and rusted again (though it will anyway over time). But it's not a deal breaker.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #70
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

A few more updates.

The weather this week has been amazing and I wanted to get a few things done to my jeep before it gets too cold. I recently acquired a new (to me) cross member from a '95 YJ that was in great shape for free from a buddy who did a tummy tuck. I figured why I was swapping it I might as well put a new transmission mount. I also need a new stabilizer stud and bushings as my home made one has seen better days. I got a poly transmission mount and I'm going to order the stabilizer bushings and stud today.

Can you tell which cross member was mine?

Notice the deformity in my old one.

I was glad I went ahead and got a mount. It looks like I needed it. This is the one from 1993.

My stabilizer bushings.

Mount installed. Pardon the exhaust. It will be getting replaced in the next month or two.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #71
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Few more updates that will be coming soon. Last night I drove from Griffin, across Atlanta in the F'n rain, to Duluth to pickup a brand new never out of the box Smittybilt rear bumper/tire carrier with d-ring mounts. I know they are made in China and definitely not the best out there but the price was right. Thus far I've been toting my 33" spare in the back of the jeep with a ratchet strap. It's getting real old and a nuisance when I pack my tools in for a wheelin' trip. I also have a new winch cable (5/16" x 100') coming in Monday. After that I'll only need a new shear pin for the hook. My other one sheared when I burned my winch up. Now it's back from the dead and ready to be used again.

I'll post pics later this weekend of the new rear bumper/tire carrier and winch cable once it comes in.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #72
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well time to show my stupidity.

I picked up that Smittybilt rear bumper/tire carrier. I got it for $200 from a large distribution warehouse full of Amazon overstock and eBay stuff too. The box was unopened and everything seemed legitimate and it was. I took the box and went home. It was raining and just an overall crappy night. The place was closing and the guy was really nice and loaded everything up. I guess with the time and weather I didn't bother opening the box. Well the next day I opened up the box after I got off work and only found the tire carrier part. Everything was there but it was only the tire carrier part. I looked at the box and it was the part number for the tire carrier only. The advertisement was for the whole assembly. Now I'm thinking, "Uh oh, I'm righteously f*****". So I call the guy and told him the situation and what he advertised. I asked him what are we going to do about the situation and I could tell he really didn't want to take the part back. He asked if I could find the bumper part and he'd give me a $100. I looked it up and found the bottom bumper so I called him back and said that I wanted $125 in cash back and we'll call it even. He agreed and so I'm on my way up this morning.

Lesson learned but it could have been more expensive.

I was pretty pissed but I was glad it was resolved, but still pissed. Then I went to put my winch cable on and found that it didn't have the lug pressed on the other end. That's not a big deal because I can get the lug from O'Reilly's and press it on at work.

I'll post pics later.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #73
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, whatever happened with the winch motor? Wondering which one you got, how did that go?
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #74
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey, whatever happened with the winch motor? Wondering which one you got, how did that go?
I spoke with Warn and a motor repair shop and determined that it wouldn't hurt to just stick the motor back on and run it till it stops. The motor technician said to just keep an eye on it when winching to keep it from over-heating again. I told him what happened and he said if the brushes and armature look good to just clean it up and stick it back on, so I did.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #75
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got my winch cable on. Now it's complete.

I was going to get my Smittybilt bumper on but found out the tapped holes on the backing plates are for M10 x 1.50. I didn't want to use the crappy bolts they gave with the kit so I went to Lowes to find some metric grade 8's but to no avail. The only place that can get them is Fastenal. Since I have the correct length grade 8 bolts in 7/16-20 I'm going to drill and tap the bumper for that size. Especially since my buddy just bought that drill and tap kit for his D44.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.