Louie4's YJ - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #676
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alrighty, the weather was awesome in Knoxville today so I had to take advantage. I got my OR Fab cage in, my smal LED markers wired in, and I started on my steering.

Here's some pics of the cage. I had to modify the frame and brackets for the Softopper. Nothing too serious just took some extra time.

The LED markers only come on when the turn signals are on which I was told earlier in the thread. Though I tested them out and they came on with the lights and blinked before I actually wired them in. Not sure what happened but I may just add another 12V feed to the LED's when the head lights are on.

Well I started on the bracket to move the steering box forward but I ran into a problem. I cannot get the bottom 1/2" bolt out that bolts the bracket to the underside of the frame. It's loose and it spins freely but it will just not come out. I think there is some slag or something on the end of the bolt keeping it from coming out.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I don't want to cut into the frame as I do not have a welder to repair it (but if necessary I will). I considered drilling through the 1/2" bolt and see if it will knock off anything that is on the bolt. I thought about drilling a 1/2" hole on the side of the frame so I could see what the deal was and if I could fix it from the hole.

Anyone have any good ideas? I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. It got dark on me.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #677
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Lou, cage looks sweet. Mine came with Allen head bolts, which I despise. I'll end up replacing mine one day. Blinkers looks good also. As far as the steering box, I'd like to see the pics when you get them. Can you get to the other side of the bolt with a punch and hammer to knock it out?
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #678
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Lou, cage looks sweet. Mine came with Allen head bolts, which I despise. I'll end up replacing mine one day. Blinkers looks good also. As far as the steering box, I'd like to see the pics when you get them. Can you get to the other side of the bolt with a punch and hammer to knock it out?
I'll post a pic later. I could drill a hole in the top of the frame and do that but I'll have to take my bumper off.

I have some other ideas.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #679
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the problem I'm having when the steering box bracket. The bolt on the front near the screw driver will not come out though the bolt is not engaged to the threads. I may fool with it later but I have a math test tomorrow.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #680
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Alrighty, the weather was awesome in Knoxville today so I had to take advantage. I got my OR Fab cage in, my smal LED markers wired in, and I started on my steering.

Here's some pics of the cage. I had to modify the frame and brackets for the Softopper. Nothing too serious just took some extra time.

The LED markers only come on when the turn signals are on which I was told earlier in the thread. Though I tested them out and they came on with the lights and blinked before I actually wired them in. Not sure what happened but I may just add another 12V feed to the LED's when the head lights are on.

Well I started on the bracket to move the steering box forward but I ran into a problem. I cannot get the bottom 1/2" bolt out that bolts the bracket to the underside of the frame. It's loose and it spins freely but it will just not come out. I think there is some slag or something on the end of the bolt keeping it from coming out.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I don't want to cut into the frame as I do not have a welder to repair it (but if necessary I will). I considered drilling through the 1/2" bolt and see if it will knock off anything that is on the bolt. I thought about drilling a 1/2" hole on the side of the frame so I could see what the deal was and if I could fix it from the hole.

Anyone have any good ideas? I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. It got dark on me.
where did you order you cage from? I am looking on o r fabs web site and can't find the cage that has those grab handles......
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #681
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
where did you order you cage from? I am looking on o r fabs web site and can't find the cage that has those grab handles......
I'll have to ask my wife. She actually did the research and found the cage for a good deal. Then got the streamer bars separately for a good price.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #682
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I really should mention this about the OR Fab cage. Even the instructions have a disclaimer about it. It says the cage is just for appearance. I read this after I got the kit out and started installing plus my wife got it for me and she had no idea.

What I will say is this, it's an upgrade over the stock setup I have been running forever. I live in an apartment complex, don't have a welder (yet), and my time is consumed a lot by working and school full-time so it's a weekend job, plus I didn't pay for it.

So for me it's a good addition. Not the ideal addition but it depends on your situation.

Just putting the information out there so no one is mislead if they are thinking about the OR Fab cage addition.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #683
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
I really should mention this about the OR Fab cage. Even the instructions have a disclaimer about it. It says the cage is just for appearance. I read this after I got the kit out and started installing plus my wife got it for me and she had no idea.

What I will say is this, it's an upgrade over the stock setup I have been running forever. I live in an apartment complex, don't have a welder (yet), and my time is consumed a lot by working and school full-time so it's a weekend job, plus I didn't pay for it.

So for me it's a good addition. Not the ideal addition but it depends on your situation.

Just putting the information out there so no one is mislead if they are thinking about the OR Fab cage addition.
I think I told her that at one point, or maybe I just read it. But my rockhard said the same thing...Even with the floor and frame tie in pieces. Probably a liability issue with making a statement that it is ok to roll over, but there is no doubt that it is a stronger set up than the original.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #684
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
I think I told her that at one point, or maybe I just read it. But my rockhard said the same thing...Even with the floor and frame tie in pieces. Probably a liability issue with making a statement that it is ok to roll over, but there is no doubt that it is a stronger set up than the original.
I think she mentioned it but nevertheless, it's a good addition to the jeep.

I'm going to drill a hole through that bolt then cut the head off of it and knock a sheetmetal screw into the hole and thread it in the frame until it goes all the way through. I'll probably go ahead and get all new grade 8 bolts for the bracket.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #685
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Surely there's a jeep club in your area where you could get some help. It wouldn't be too difficult to tack weld in place then remove and gusset it.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #686
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt
Surely there's a jeep club in your area where you could get some help. It wouldn't be too difficult to tack weld in place then remove and gusset it.
There is. Knox Off-road is the club around town. I haven't gone to a meeting as of yet. It's just boiling down to time. Job, school, and a new wife take up most to all of it. The Summer is coming though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #687
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

There is. Knox Off-road is the club around town. I haven't gone to a meeting as of yet. It's just boiling down to time. Job, school, and a new wife take up most to all of it. The Summer is coming though.
You should try to make one. There are parts of my build that would have been impossible without help. Many of these guys have benders, welders and love helping out others. My club has lift/engine swap parties.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #688
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
You should try to make one. There are parts of my build that would have been impossible without help. Many of these guys have benders, welders and love helping out others. My club has lift/engine swap parties.
I will try to make one before the end of the year hopefully. They are great resources if you need help and you can make some good friends.

Well I got the steering box relocation bracket on yesterday. Of course I found out the captive nut in the frame had broke loose.

I don't have a welder so I am going to hit that part with some paint for now. I have a small piece of 1/4" plate I can use as a patch when I get access to a welder. One of my buddies has a small Lincoln waiting on me but it's in Georgia. Of course I still need to tack a new nut in there. For now I have a silicon bronze nut with a couple of flat washers in the frame. I replaced those two bottom bolts with grade 8's as they were quite gross.

I also replaced the bolts in the roll bar that attached the front spreader bar to the windshield with grade 8 bolts.

During the Thanksgiving break I'm going to put the new pitman arm on.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #689
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, pics of the bracket.
image-2657251404.jpg   image-1181119295.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #690
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So where did that bracket come from?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.