Louie4's YJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #31
qwicklt1ws6

hell ya

qwicklt1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #32
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

As promised, videos. I have some more but I haven't uploaded all of them yet.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #33
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another one.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #34
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since I need to slow down on spending money, I think my next mods will be a hand throttle on the shifter and a tie rod flip kit. I'm thinking about using the go-fer-it inserts.

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

I'll post pics of the install once I get the material together. I already have a stock pitman arm that can replace my dropped one.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #35
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I've done a little to the jeep but not a whole lot. Right now it's just little stuff here and there until I rebound from recent purchases (ring) and an upcoming vacation (to give the ring). Anyway a month ago I found a hose sticking out of the gas tank skid. I looked at it and I remember putting it on the vent lines about 6 years ago. Well it fell off and cracked. It might be because it was a washer hose from an '89 Volvo.

Anyway I got bored and decided to drop the tank. I also planned it pretty well because I was about to run out of gas and didn't want to get more (when it was pushing $4 a gal.) and I was almost home plus I knew I wanted to drop the tank. When I started taking the filler hose and vent hose off I found the vent hose was cracked and hard as a rock. So I got a new one from Q-tec since no dealership in my area had one.

Here is the assortment of hoses I took off and the new 1/4" fuel hose for the vent line.

Here's the tank in the back of the jeep. I had to open up the back to vent the fumes out a little. The gas tank skid was also in rough shape. I scrapped about 3/8" thick build up of dirt and dust from the inside and found a little rust. I'm having the sandblasting guy we use at work clean it up then I'll prime it and put some decent paint on there.

Once I get it back I'll take some more pics and show the finished product and the gas tank install. On a side note I acquired a 5L military jerry can for $5 from a retired welder at work. He was also a marine but he found it at a yard sale and sold it to me for the same price. Pretty sweet deal. I just need to find a filler neck and make a gasket for it. Here it is when I first got it and then after I had it sandblasted and primed. I think I'm going to paint it OD green like it was.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #36
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got my gas skid back and blasted. I also made a stop by Lowe's after my jog.

Here's the blasted skid.

I wiped it down with a wet rag and after a couple minutes it started oxidizing.

Primed:

I also painted my jerry can with camo green. It was close enough to OD green to me:

All painted off the back porch of my apartment. Yes I'm the guy with auto parts hanging off the hooks on the deck.

Tomorrow I'm going to smooth out the gas skid with some steel wool and wipe it down. Then I'm going to put some black gloss paint on it. I was torn between flat black and gloss. I figure it won't matter after a couple months plus I had some extra gloss black in case my one can wasn't enough.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #37
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just got back from my vacation with my new fiance. Went to San Francisco and drove up the coast, saw the Redwoods and swung by U of O and OSU. Finished up in Portland. It was awesome. Since I'm broke now I can continue doing cheap fixes to my jeep.

I painted my gas skid finally and put some pipe insulation tape as a cushion. I had some leftover from refurbishing the A/C.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #38
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I figured I'd make my standard 3 month update.

I've only done a few things to the jeep. They were relatively inexpensive also.

First I finally got around to installing an electric Taurus fan. I didn't do it for power gains, I did it because my motor was overheating on the trails. The new fan clutch was garbage and after the 5th one I'm tired of putting new ones in and having a moderate cooling system. So I went this route.

I went to Pull-a-part in South Atlanta and snagged a fan for $16. I also found a 50 amp relay from a Volvo but ended up not using it. The Taurus fan I found doesn't seem like the most ideal from others I've seen but it's working good so far. I had to do a little trimming on the shroud just to get it to fit.

I installed it with a few hiccups but that was to be expected. The major concern was the clearance between the waterpump pulley and the fan motor. It's REALLY close but I was at my folks house Sunday and found a pulley from a '92 XJ. They have waterpump that doesn't stick out like my YJ's.

Here's the clearance.

I used a Hayden's adjustable thermostat I got from O'Reilly's for $17.62. I also bought a 40 amp relay for $5 or so since I didn't used the Volvo one. I'll probably upgrade to a better one depending on how this one works. As of now I'm only using the low speed. If I use the high speed I'll need to get a heftier relay. I also already had a switch in the dash for some lights I had years ago that I no longer have. I am using it as a cutout switch in case I go in deep water.

Pics of some wiring.

Another thing I realized when I was doing this swap was my lower radiator hose. I replaced it at some point in the last 10 years. When I did I never swapped the coil out inside of it. This explained the overheating at high speeds. I believe the lower hose was collapsing from the high rpms. Anyway I took a stainless steel welding rod from work and bent it around my high-lift handle and worked it into the hose.

Today I finished up the latest mod. Well add-on I guess. I don't have any kind of rear bumper or recover except a tow hook through the frame. I also can't tow anything. A buddy gave me his old Curt trailer hitch. Since I don't have the dough to spend on a bumper/tire carrier (saving and there are other more important things I need for the jeep)this was the best option and it was free.

I put (10) Grade 8 bolts through the rear cross member and one in the tapped hole under each end of the frame. I also made some backing plates for the (8) bolts going through the rear cross member out of 3/8" steel plate.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is not really related to my jeep but while I was at my folks house my dad told me to come look at my sisters old Honda. I walked over and looked and I was dumbfounded. My sister never complained about the brakes though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #40
chiefbrady
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dude,
Looks like you are having way too much fun...
You inspire me... I wanna get out there and break some stuff... Keep rockin in the free world!!!
chiefbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #41
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbrady View Post
Dude,
Looks like you are having way too much fun...
You inspire me... I wanna get out there and break some stuff... Keep rockin in the free world!!!
Indeed I will. My buddies and I are going to hit up Morris Mountain in East Alabama in a month so I'll be ready to break stuff. I might try to squeeze in a run to Beasley Knob in Blairsville before then though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #42
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Tell me how you like Morris Mountain. I've heard its pretty good but never been out there.

I'm liking the wheeling videos.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #43
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Tell me how you like Morris Mountain. I've heard its pretty good but never been out there.

I'm liking the wheeling videos.
Thanks. I'll definitely be taking some pics and videos. I'm surprised you haven't been there since you're in Huntsville. I checked out your build thread as well and it's looking good. Can't wait to see the 37's on it.

I'm curious though why you went all the way to Purdue when you have Auburn or even Alabama close. I know Purdue is an excellent engineering school though so that probably explains it. I went to Georgia and got my engineering degree there. I had a conditional acceptance to Tech but I opted for Georgia. It's always been me and my families school plus I grew up in Athens.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #44
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was looking through some of my photo albums on my computer and found some pics from Durhamtown on page 1 that I finally got from my buddy. I figured I'd post them just for kicks and giggles.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #45
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Thanks. I'll definitely be taking some pics and videos. I'm surprised you haven't been there since you're in Huntsville. I checked out your build thread as well and it's looking good. Can't wait to see the 37's on it.

I'm curious though why you went all the way to Purdue when you have Auburn or even Alabama close. I know Purdue is an excellent engineering school though so that probably explains it. I went to Georgia and got my engineering degree there. I had a conditional acceptance to Tech but I opted for Georgia. It's always been me and my families school plus I grew up in Athens.
Well, I haven't been home but for like 6 months. I graduated in December and the Jeep has been in the project phase for about half of that. So, not much time to take it out. But thanks though, I can't wait for the tons and 37s either!

Yea, I got a electrical engineering tech degree from Purdue. I didn't want a straight up EE degree or else I probably would have went to UAHuntsville. Plus, Purdue has also been like a family school for me, as well. I ended up being the third generation grad from Purdue.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.