Louie4's YJ - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 05-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #331
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
One good thing about my work is we have top notch welders who have welded about any kind of material you can weld. I'll have them tack it or put a small bead on it. So the expertise is there. Plus I'll have to drill the knuckle through anyway.

My buddy used those inserts you have linked to and he didn't use any kind of epoxy or welding. He installed them with an R121 reamer. He reamed his CJ knuckles out and put those in there till there was a 1/64" lip sticking out the top. Then he stuck the TRE's in an torqued it down. The only problem I have with that is I don't have enough meat to put a taper down the length of the hole because it's already made for 1 tons for under the knuckle.
My hand was getting tired or reaming so I ended up leaving a lip like that and just torqued the crap out of it. My laziness made it stronger too

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #332
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
My hand was getting tired or reaming so I ended up leaving a lip like that and just torqued the crap out of it. My laziness made it stronger too
My buddy who did that is a sheetmetal worker and he said his hands hurt for a day or two. Plus he's a big guy so I imagine it's pretty tough.

It sounds like it would be easier to drill both knuckles through and tack the inserts in but more expensive. I'll probably go that route. I'm also thinking I should have waited to paint the knuckle.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #333
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
1. I can drill the knuckle out and buy a 1 ton TRE insert... I think. Then weld it in there.
2. I can drill straight through and buy some heim joints.
3. I just leave it with the tie rod under the knuckle.
I'd just slap it togther with the tie rod below the knuckle and see how it steers. Check to make sure there's clearances with the draglink/framerail at full stuff and that you get full steering. If everything works fine just drill it straight through and run heims or the welded inserts if your set on tre's. I had one of those tera knuckles in my toolbox for a longtime incase I went soa but ended up selling it. I'm curious how this turns out.
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #334
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
I'd just slap it togther with the tie rod below the knuckle and see how it steers. Check to make sure there's clearances with the draglink/framerail at full stuff and that you get full steering. If everything works fine just drill it straight through and run heims or the welded inserts if your set on tre's. I had one of those tera knuckles in my toolbox for a longtime incase I went soa but ended up selling it. I'm curious how this turns out.
Well I just pulled the trigger and bought (2) goferit inserts for 1 ton TRE's. I think it's my best option right now.

I had considered just slapping it on there and going but I still have to modify my driver's side knuckle either way. Plus I have a diff guard that nearly rubs the stock tie rod at it's current position. It would definitely hit with the 1.5" O.D. tie rod.

If I decided to go to heims I can always grind the top of the insert off the knuckle and knock it through.

I'm interested to see how this will go too. I hope it's not a bust because I'm SUA right now.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #335
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

Well I just pulled the trigger and bought (2) goferit inserts for 1 ton TRE's. I think it's my best option right now.

I had considered just slapping it on there and going but I still have to modify my driver's side knuckle either way. Plus I have a diff guard that nearly rubs the stock tie rod at it's current position. It would definitely hit with the 1.5" O.D. tie rod.

If I decided to go to heims I can always grind the top of the insert off the knuckle and knock it through.

I'm interested to see how this will go too. I hope it's not a bust because I'm SUA right now.
You will be happy with the goferits. I'm running about 3" of lift with waggy springs and 1" shackles and I have plenty of clearance. Did you check and see if your draglink will come in contact with your frame rail? I never thought of that before with sua and the tera knuckle?
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #336
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
My hand was getting tired or reaming
Imma quote that...
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #337
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
You will be happy with the goferits. I'm running about 3" of lift with waggy springs and 1" shackles and I have plenty of clearance. Did you check and see if your draglink will come in contact with your frame rail? I never thought of that before with sua and the tera knuckle?
That's one thing I've been thinking about. Depending what kind of clearances I have I wouldn't be opposed to extending my bumpstops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Imma quote that...
Got to throw some lube on it. Makes it go faster.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #338
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

And on a serious note.... for ferrous metals, go to the grocery store and get a jug of Murphy's Oil Soap, A thing of cod liver oil from the pharmacy, and about 1 gallon water. Mix it all together. This will give you a machine shop oil "milk" similar to what has been used for the last 200 years in machine shops to bore steam engine cylinders, canons, and make screws in lathes. It wasn't until the 1980's that they started inventing synthetic chlorinated-sulphurized stuff. For the hi-speed CNC machines.

For non-ferrous especially with light cuts at high speed, nothing beats plain ol kerosene.
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #339
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's one thing I've been thinking about. Depending what kind of clearances I have I wouldn't be opposed to extending my bumpstops.
Frame clearance was one of the reasons I ditched the idea and just ran a stacked heim setup instead. There's alot that could be done before extending bumpstops. Probably just notch the frame or mount the draglink below the knuckle. You'll figure it all out during mockup
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #340
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94

Frame clearance was one of the reasons I ditched the idea and just ran a stacked heim setup instead. There's alot that could be done before extending bumpstops. Probably just notch the frame or mount the draglink below the knuckle. You'll figure it all out during mockup
Yeah I went outside and just stared at it and kind of threw the knuckle up there. I'm pretty sure I'll need to put the drag link under the top arm, cut the sway bar mount on the frame off and possibly notch it.

This is one of those times when I wish I didn't live in an apartment complex. I'll figure it out though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #341
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'll figure it out though.
I like that attitude.
Unread 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #342
exige05
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Many a times I've went out and laid under the jeep and wondered different things to do/ best way to attack a problem..... And a few times I've been caught napping under the jeep too......
exige05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #343
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exige05 View Post
Many a times I've went out and laid under the jeep and wondered different things to do/ best way to attack a problem..... And a few times I've been caught napping under the jeep too......
I get some funny looks from my neighbors at the apartment. I'll just be sprawled out under the jeep looking at stuff. I do catch myself nodding from time to time.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #344
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got my u-bolt plates done today. I started after work. Here's my work space.

Check out the difference between what I had on there (the Ford Explorer plates and u-bolts) and the new plates and u-bolts.

If anyone is into beer I had the last two of the Oak Barrel Stouts I got from Fredericksburg, VA while visiting friends. It's delicious.

Here's the plates on with the untrimmed u-bolts.

Here is them trimmed.

I also stopped by Lowe's and found an XJ next to me. Looked pretty good.

I'm hoping to do some work on the steering this weekend. I may need to order another insert to flip the drag link under the top arm.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #345
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I like it. I may do it if you don't share some story of it failing.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.