Louie4's YJ - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #316
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatacan View Post
Man I miss my garage.
I was able to use my shop at work. Works out pretty good.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #317
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well today was a crummy day. I had to have my cat Phil put down this afternoon because his kidneys failed. He was a good friend. I'll miss ya buddy.
my-friend.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #318
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhh that Suxx0rz. Cats can be the best buddies even when yer all messed up. Maybe after you get all hitched and re-settled the two of you can pick out a fresh kitten.

Yeah I'm a cat guy myself. 3 of em at the moment. I'll be thinking of you guys.
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #319
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had to bury Phil at work because I think my apartment complex would frown on me doing that there. After I got done burying him I grabbed a bite to eat and started doing some work for the jeep. I didn't want to sit around at home and mope all night. Tonight I got the gussets welded onto the end of my u-bolt plates. I think I'm going to have them sandblasted them I'll paint them. I also painted my Teraflex knuckle. It's kind of bright but that's the paint I had laying around.
img_2175.jpg   img_2172.jpg   img_2173.jpg   img_2174.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #320
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Ahhh that Suxx0rz. Cats can be the best buddies even when yer all messed up. Maybe after you get all hitched and re-settled the two of you can pick out a fresh kitten.

Yeah I'm a cat guy myself. 3 of em at the moment. I'll be thinking of you guys.
Thanks Pete. I'm either but I lean a little more towards cats. My fiance has our 11 month old Boxer at the moment and she's sweet. I don't think I'll be getting another cat for a while.

Some folks think he's just a cat but he was my buddy and I'll miss him giving the jeep part inspection when I lay them on the couch next to him.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #321
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, here's the knuckle I painted.
img_2176.jpg   img_2178.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #322
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Oh yeah, here's the knuckle I painted.
Wow! That's bright. Looks good, I can't wait to see that thing on your jeep. I think your gonna need a flat pitman arm for that.
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #323
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The painted knuckle looks sharp IMO. I painted mine aluminum gray. It looks good. On most YJ's that area is either rusted or coated in dusty grease. Good paint will keep it cleaner and make it easier to examine your ball joints, etc.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #324
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Wow! That's bright. Looks good, I can't wait to see that thing on your jeep. I think your gonna need a flat pitman arm for that.
Me neither. I'm going to do some more painting tonight or tomorrow evening. My plan is to ream that knuckle for the TRE's, install it, put the drag link on, then do the other knuckle. I may very well need a flat pitman arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
The painted knuckle looks sharp IMO. I painted mine aluminum gray. It looks good. On most YJ's that area is either rusted or coated in dusty grease. Good paint will keep it cleaner and make it easier to examine your ball joints, etc.
Thanks. I like the color and it will keep away rust and junk like you said.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #325
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I started messing with the knuckle yesterday. I now know it's reamed for 1 ton TRE's on the upper arm for the drag link and the lower arm for the tie rod. However the arm for the tie rod is tapered so the TRE is under the knuckle. I didn't really want to run the tie rod under the knuckle. I can't ream the knuckle from the top down because it wouldn't give a lot of meat for the TRE to grab. So I have a few options.

1. I can drill the knuckle out and buy a 1 ton TRE insert... I think. Then weld it in there.
2. I can drill straight through and buy some heim joints.
3. I just leave it with the tie rod under the knuckle.

What do y'all think?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #326
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if youre set on using TREs than you could drill them out and use the goferit inserts or just make the change to heims. i dont think i would go through the work you are doing to leave it under the knuckle
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #327
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
if youre set on using TREs than you could drill them out and use the goferit inserts or just make the change to heims. i dont think i would go through the work you are doing to leave it under the knuckle
I agree. I may just get a goferit 1 ton insert. I have a reamer that I could use on the driver's side knuckle but they wouldn't be exactly even. It probably wouldn't matter that much though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #328
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
1. I can drill the knuckle out and buy a 1 ton TRE insert... I think. Then weld it in there.

What do y'all think?
I vote 1. but I wouldn't worry about welding it; I epoxied mine. My thought on welding is that you're dealing with such a small amount of brittle metal and I wouldn't want to compromise its integrity by kicking it up to 2600F+. *Nothing* is really needed in there as there is so much force pushing them into the knuckle. I went with epoxy because I've seen how well the epoxy holds up in that type of joint in golf clubs between the shaft and head.

And BTW: I wasn't sold on the go-fer-its. I chose these instead. The vendor seemed more reputable. They surprised me by throwing a free hat in with my shipment.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #329
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I vote 1. but I wouldn't worry about welding it; I epoxied mine. My thought on welding is that you're dealing with such a small amount of brittle metal and I wouldn't want to compromise its integrity by kicking it up to 2600F+. *Nothing* is really needed in there as there is so much force pushing them into the knuckle. I went with epoxy because I've seen how well the epoxy holds up in that type of joint in golf clubs between the shaft and head.

And BTW: I wasn't sold on the go-fer-its. I chose these instead. The vendor seemed more reputable. They surprised me by throwing a free hat in with my shipment.
One good thing about my work is we have top notch welders who have welded about any kind of material you can weld. I'll have them tack it or put a small bead on it. So the expertise is there. Plus I'll have to drill the knuckle through anyway.

My buddy used those inserts you have linked to and he didn't use any kind of epoxy or welding. He installed them with an R121 reamer. He reamed his CJ knuckles out and put those in there till there was a 1/64" lip sticking out the top. Then he stuck the TRE's in an torqued it down. The only problem I have with that is I don't have enough meat to put a taper down the length of the hole because it's already made for 1 tons for under the knuckle.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #330
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Well I started messing with the knuckle yesterday. I now know it's reamed for 1 ton TRE's on the upper arm for the drag link and the lower arm for the tie rod. However the arm for the tie rod is tapered so the TRE is under the knuckle. I didn't really want to run the tie rod under the knuckle. I can't ream the knuckle from the top down because it wouldn't give a lot of meat for the TRE to grab. So I have a few options.

What do y'all think?
Goferit makes 1 ton inserts. They are real easy to install and easy. I really liked his customer service and extremely fast shipping. I ordered them on sat at midnight and they were at my door by wed afternoon. They say just to tack weld them in, but I opted to weld them all the way around. I really like having my tie rod above the knuckle. I don't have any experience with heims so I can't give any advice.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.