Louie4's YJ - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #301
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

this is the kit that I basically used as the basis for my links. But doing some shopping around I saved myself over 100 bucks. I did buy the weld in threaded ends from this guy though!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIE-ROD-DRAG...item4ce63050a9

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #302
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I chose TRE's over heim joints because I wanted something I could replace at any parts store in the event I tear it up. Then again if I tear it up it will probably be catastrophic.
i never understood this. what do you think the chances of you breaking a TRE are? are you going to be running 1ton TREs? heims are less than $10 a piece and TREs are about $30.i could buy 12 heims for the price of 4 TREs

i also carry spare heims so i dont have to try to "run out to the store" if i ever do break a heim on the trail.

just my

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #303
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Those be some nice components.

My youngest son Jerry is in Pensacola, FL attending school. He has about another month there.
Thanks. I have a friend and co-worker whose daughter attends Pensacola Christian College. His other daughter teaches there and graduated from there. Where does your son go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
My two steering links cost me, $148.00 including shipping.

DOM = $50.00
TRE's = $35.00
inserts= $30.00
locking jam nuts = $33.00
Nice. Where did you get those from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
i never understood this. what do you think the chances of you breaking a TRE are? are you going to be running 1ton TREs? heims are less than $10 a piece and TREs are about $30.i could buy 12 heims for the price of 4 TREs

i also carry spare heims so i dont have to try to "run out to the store" if i ever do break a heim on the trail.

just my
I have no problem with either in terms of strength and I know availability depends on how prepared you are and buying spares. At the moment I have the 1-ton TRE's on the used drag link and tie rod. If they are in good condition I may re-use them and ream my knuckles from the top to flip the tie rod. However, the Teraflex knuckle is tapered for the 1-ton TRE on the bottom. I'm unsure how that would work if I tried to taper it from the top. I may be better off drilling it through and putting the heims on. If the TRE's are bad and I have to replace them I might as well get heims for the cost difference and just drill the knuckles through and be done with it.

What do you think Vegas? What would you do in my situation?

Your is much appreciated BTW.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #304
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered all my parts individually. and bought the DOM locally from a steel supplier. I can post up the individual links if you'd like. I found the tre's from one vendor for 35 bucks or so for all four shipped to my door. The brand was parts master plus. two of the actually had Moog stamped on them though. they are 1 ton tre's so I don't expect too much trouble from them!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #305
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have no problem with either in terms of strength and I know availability depends on how prepared you are and buying spares. At the moment I have the 1-ton TRE's on the used drag link and tie rod. If they are in good condition I may re-use them and ream my knuckles from the top to flip the tie rod. However, the Teraflex knuckle is tapered for the 1-ton TRE on the bottom. I'm unsure how that would work if I tried to taper it from the top. I may be better off drilling it through and putting the heims on. If the TRE's are bad and I have to replace them I might as well get heims for the cost difference and just drill the knuckles through and be done with it.

What do you think Vegas? What would you do in my situation?

Your is much appreciated BTW.

i run Ruffstuff heims myself. i know everyone will debate til the end of the world about which is better for a DD or trail rig ect. i just dont see the point of spending $30 a piece on TREs.

if the TREs you have on there now are good then go ahead and run them. after they wear out i'd run heims.

again this is just my persective. im sure others will chime in telling you that you will die if you run heims on the rd and that 1ton TREs are the only way to go

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #306
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Where does your son go?
He followed in his Dads footsteps & went on active duty in the Navy in January, then went to Pensacola for Aviation Structual Mechanic "A" school. Basically, he'll be working on aircraft hydraulics and some other fancy stuff.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs2/blamh.htm
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #307
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
I ordered all my parts individually. and bought the DOM locally from a steel supplier. I can post up the individual links if you'd like. I found the tre's from one vendor for 35 bucks or so for all four shipped to my door. The brand was parts master plus. two of the actually had Moog stamped on them though. they are 1 ton tre's so I don't expect too much trouble from them!
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Once I get it all out and start cleaning stuff up I'll see where I stand.

Quote:
i run Ruffstuff heims myself. i know everyone will debate til the end of the world about which is better for a DD or trail rig ect. i just dont see the point of spending $30 a piece on TREs.

if the TREs you have on there now are good then go ahead and run them. after they wear out i'd run heims.

again this is just my persective. im sure others will chime in telling you that you will die if you run heims on the rd and that 1ton TREs are the only way to go
I've heard a few debates on it but I think either is fine. I'll stay with the TRE's if they're in good shape. If not I'll look at the heims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
He followed in his Dads footsteps & went on active duty in the Navy in January, then went to Pensacola for Aviation Structual Mechanic "A" school. Basically, he'll be working on aircraft hydraulics and some other fancy stuff.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs2/blamh.htm
That's awesome! I'm sure you're very proud. I'm following in my grandfather's footsteps myself. He went to UGA and got his Ag. Engineering degree as did I. Coincidentally my other grandfather went to GA Tech and was an electrical engineer. My dad started in the Ag. Engineering program at Georgia but dropped out due to the "taste of money" as he put it. He went back later in life and got his business degree but always regretted not going through with engineering.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #308
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't been doing anything to the jeep lately. Been busy with work, seeing friends, and my nephews 6th birthday party was this weekend. However I do plan on getting the knuckle sand blasted and have the linkages painted this week. I also got a set of stock tail lights from a buddy (thanks Nacho) since mine are shot it works out good.

Some pics of the tail lights and the ones I busted on a tree a while back.
img_2145.jpg   img_2146.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #309
ndiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
I haven't been doing anything to the jeep lately. Been busy with work, seeing friends, and my nephews 6th birthday party was this weekend. However I do plan on getting the knuckle sand blasted and have the linkages painted this week. I also got a set of stock tail lights from a buddy (thanks Nacho) since mine are shot it works out good.

Some pics of the tail lights and the ones I busted on a tree a while back.
Ha! No problem!
ndiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #310
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndiego View Post
Ha! No problem!

What's the ETA on that Atlas II BTW?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #311
ndiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

What's the ETA on that Atlas II BTW?
They are driving me crazy... They say they are still researching the whole clock thing. He says he has had multiple conversations with Atlas. Just a waiting game I guess.
ndiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #312
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndiego View Post
They are driving me crazy... They say they are still researching the whole clock thing. He says he has had multiple conversations with Atlas. Just a waiting game I guess.
Since it's a custom built to order t-case I would think there would be no problem. I guess we'll see.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #313
DW8520
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Aren't Heims illegal to drive on the road in all 50 states? I thought I saw something along those lines on the RuffStuff website.
DW8520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #314
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I finally stopped being lazy. I primed my knuckle and I may paint it tonight. I also drilled all the holes for my spring plates. I still need to cap the ends with some gussets but it's coming along.
img_2154.jpg   img_2155.jpg   img_2156.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #315
Tamatacan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Man I miss my garage.
Tamatacan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.