Louie4's YJ - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #286
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
is that .25" dom?
Yes.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #287
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

*Determined* not to bend you stuff again, eh? (BTW that stuff would be so sweet for custom shotgun barrels...)
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #288
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ohhh wk knuckle. I'm definitely interested how this works for you! I was thinking of doing this isntead of the $500 dollar hi-steer kit when I go SOA.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #289
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
*Determined* not to bend you stuff again, eh? (BTW that stuff would be so sweet for custom shotgun barrels...)
Bound and determined. If I do break or bend it...well I'm doing something right or I fell off a cliff.

I could see that tube being used for shotgun barrels. I wish my roll cage was made out of that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
Ohhh wk knuckle. I'm definitely interested how this works for you! I was thinking of doing this isntead of the $500 dollar hi-steer kit when I go SOA.

Actually it's a Teraflex hi-steer knuckle. I got a sweet deal on all the stuff. I'm thinking about flipping the tie rod and reaming the top of the knuckle. However it's already reamed from the bottom for a 1 ton TRE. I may lay it out in CAD and see how it looks with a taper from the top. If I have enough so the rod end won't pull through I'll do it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #290
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Actually it's a Teraflex hi-steer knuckle. I got a sweet deal on all the stuff. I'm thinking about flipping the tie rod and reaming the top of the knuckle. However it's already reamed from the bottom for a 1 ton TRE. I may lay it out in CAD and see how it looks with a taper from the top. If I have enough so the rod end won't pull through I'll do it.
My mistake! They look similar.

I have a few questions because I'm doing some research and came to some information you might know.

RRO has a "kit" for the high steer, including the bracket, drag link and tie rod for $500, or JB4x4 is selling just the bracket for $150.

My question is: would it be better / cheaper to make my own drag link / tie rod?

And why did you choose TRE over Heim?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, sir.

EDIT:: Sorry, man. I'm stupid and didn't realize the RRO has drag / tie over the springs where the JB4x4 has the tie rod under springs.
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #291
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
My mistake! They look similar.

I have a few questions because I'm doing some research and came to some information you might know.

RRO has a "kit" for the high steer, including the bracket, drag link and tie rod for $500, or JB4x4 is selling just the bracket for $150.

My question is: would it be better / cheaper to make my own drag link / tie rod?

And why did you choose TRE over Heim?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, sir.
I don't have experience with the RRO OTT kit but firefighter315 has it based on this thread you know all too well. A lot of good info in there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...r-kit-1349846/

I'd ask him about that kit. I looked at it but I didn't want to go with a bracket to attached to my knuckle. Just my preference though. I have a friend running the M.O.R.E. bracket and he loves it. There are also a lot of guys using them on the forum and they all seem happy as well. As for making the linkages yourself it may be cheaper. I thought about it and priced some stuff out but I couldn't source the DOM tubing unless I bought 24' of it plus I'd have to order the bungs.

I also looked at JCR Off-Road's 1 Ton OTK kit for about $350 shipped. But I also thought I could get it cheaper from Ruff Stuff with their DIY kit but after shipping it would have been close to the JCR kit but it came with heim joints. I chose TRE's over heim joints because I wanted something I could replace at any parts store in the event I tear it up. Then again if I tear it up it will probably be catastrophic.

To be honest I never thought I would get a "hi-steer" knuckle. My original plan was to just get some beefy linkages and flip the tie rod. Then I got an offer on the knuckle and some linkages for the same cost I was looking at all these kits so I couldn't pass it up.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #292
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you somehow *do* break or bend something with this setup, then you were in over your head. shizz man, you could use that tie rod for olympic weightlifting.
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #293
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you somehow *do* break or bend something with this setup, then you were in over your head. shizz man, you could use that tie rod for olympic weightlifting.
I was thinking it would be a nice place to put a floor jack under when I need to lift the front end of the jeep.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #294
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was thinking it would be a nice place to put a floor jack under when I need to lift the front end of the jeep.
I bet you could store a bunch of tools and emergency supplies inside it. No, seriously. A wrenching buddy of mine from way back tells me how they used to store a few extra gallons of gas inside the rollcage at the speedway till they got caught and changed the rules... yep, the cage was also an extra tank...
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #295
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My steering links are made from .25 wall 1,5" dom and it is beefy!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #296
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I bet you could store a bunch of tools and emergency supplies inside it. No, seriously. A wrenching buddy of mine from way back tells me how they used to store a few extra gallons of gas inside the rollcage at the speedway till they got caught and changed the rules... yep, the cage was also an extra tank...
I could put the usual stuff; matches, rag, pocket knife, extra change of clothes, some snacks, etc.

I've heard of folks using their cages and bumpers for storing compressed air but never fuel.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #297
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have experience with the RRO OTT kit but firefighter315 has it based on this thread you know all too well. A lot of good info in there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...r-kit-1349846/

I'd ask him about that kit. I looked at it but I didn't want to go with a bracket to attached to my knuckle. Just my preference though. I have a friend running the M.O.R.E. bracket and he loves it. There are also a lot of guys using them on the forum and they all seem happy as well. As for making the linkages yourself it may be cheaper. I thought about it and priced some stuff out but I couldn't source the DOM tubing unless I bought 24' of it plus I'd have to order the bungs.

I also looked at JCR Off-Road's 1 Ton OTK kit for about $350 shipped. But I also thought I could get it cheaper from Ruff Stuff with their DIY kit but after shipping it would have been close to the JCR kit but it came with heim joints. I chose TRE's over heim joints because I wanted something I could replace at any parts store in the event I tear it up. Then again if I tear it up it will probably be catastrophic.

To be honest I never thought I would get a "hi-steer" knuckle. My original plan was to just get some beefy linkages and flip the tie rod. Then I got an offer on the knuckle and some linkages for the same cost I was looking at all these kits so I couldn't pass it up.
I forgot about that thread. Thanks for your info. Any idea where I can get the bungs from? I'll have to call some places tomorrow and see if I can get a deal on DOM tubing + bungs and see what I can do. I definitely want a beefy setup like you! And after re-reading that thread and doing a bit more research I think I know what I'm gonna do for my steering correction, as long as I can figure out the drag link / tie rods.
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #298
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those be some nice components.

My youngest son Jerry is in Pensacola, FL attending school. He has about another month there.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #299
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My two steering links cost me, $148.00 including shipping.

DOM = $50.00
TRE's = $35.00
inserts= $30.00
locking jam nuts = $33.00

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #300
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
My two steering links cost me, $148.00 including shipping.

DOM = $50.00
TRE's = $35.00
inserts= $30.00
locking jam nuts = $33.00
Excellent! Sorry to thread jack. Back to your beautiful thread!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.