Louie4's YJ - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #241
DW8520
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am interested to see how you set up your tereflex steering knuckle as I am looking to do the same thing. Are you planning to run 1 ton joints? If so, do you know if the knuckle is tapered for them or are you going to have to modify it? Also, are you planning to run the joints over or under the knuckle? Just curious.

Patiently watching

DW8520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #242
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW8520 View Post
I am interested to see how you set up your tereflex steering knuckle as I am looking to do the same thing. Are you planning to run 1 ton joints? If so, do you know if the knuckle is tapered for them or are you going to have to modify it? Also, are you planning to run the joints over or under the knuckle? Just curious.

Patiently watching
I am expecting to get the 1 ton TRE's. I have a Snap-On 7* reamer my buddy let me borrow so putting a taper in it shouldn't be too bad. The Teraflex knuckle from what I understand is tapered for the stock TRE's and it's under the knuckle on the tie rod but I'm unsure on the drag link mount. My plan is to mount the tie rod over the knuckle and see how the drag link mounts to it. Depending on any interference I will flip the drag link on the knuckle and run it that way to keep it out of the tie rod on full compression. If the pitman arm is interfering I may look for a Ranger one or maybe try to flip it and taper it accordingly. From what I've read (and hopefully I'm not wrong) the 1 ton TRE's are large enough so the taper I put in will be the thickness of the knuckle arm.

It's a bit of a gamble I think but I'll make it work somehow. I'm still waiting on the guy to make my new tie rod then he's going to ship it all. It might not be for another couple weeks but I'm not in a huge hurry so I'm working on the spring plates.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #243
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like my 1 ton TRE's!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #244
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice good sir. I will try to use a drill press for the Teraflex knuckle and may take my driver's side one off depending.

Did you know when to stop?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #245
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just went a little at a time until the tie rod end fit good. Very scientific!

Unread 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #246
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
Just went a little at a time until the tie rod end fit good. Very scientific!
That's what I was planning on doing

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #247
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

woops doubled up posts!

Unread 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #248
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good info there Nib's!
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #249
DW8520
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody have experience using these? Tapered Steering Knuckle Insert from Ruff Stuff? It says all you need is a 7/8" drill bit. Seems like it might work for this application.
tapered-insert.jpg  
DW8520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #250
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW8520 View Post
Anybody have experience using these? Tapered Steering Knuckle Insert from Ruff Stuff? It says all you need is a 7/8" drill bit. Seems like it might work for this application.
If I didn't have a reamer at my disposal I was probably going to use those.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #251
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Thanks for the compliments. As far as cooling goes with the XJ pump there was no difference. The only difference is the flange on the shaft. It gave me more clearance for the fan and since I had the radiator and fan out there was no reason not to swap it. With the Taurus e-fan my engine ran almost too cool at times but on the highway it overheats.

Coincidentally I spoke to a guy named Doug at Morris Mountain who was wheeling a built Jeepster. He worked for Built Tough Radiators who custom make their radiators for your application out of Texas. I told him my problem and he said my radiator was plugged.

For aesthetics I'm more function over fashion. Rust was starting to develop on the body where I smashed into a tree and I can't have that. It's not very classy but it serves a purpose. I hear you on the Florida wheeling. Luckily I have access to the Appalachian Mountains and the hill country in East Alabama.
Thanks for the info.

And I know what you mean. I just found it amusing. I still think it looks great.

And I'm moving up to central NC or Colorado in about 2-1/2-3 yrs once I graduate / my Mom retires. We're gonna move to the same area. And those two places look like they'll have awesome wheeling spots. I'll miss the ocean, but not as much as I'll enjoy nature.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #252
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
Thanks for the info.

And I know what you mean. I just found it amusing. I still think it looks great.

And I'm moving up to central NC or Colorado in about 2-1/2-3 yrs once I graduate / my Mom retires. We're gonna move to the same area. And those two places look like they'll have awesome wheeling spots. I'll miss the ocean, but not as much as I'll enjoy nature.
I think it adds some ruggedness to it but that's just me. The area is great. I'd love to settle down in NC somewhere. Preferably in the western part but who knows. My fiance lives in Knoxville, TN right now which is only 30 minutes East of Windrock OHV. I'm looking forward to riding over there.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #253
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think it adds some ruggedness to it but that's just me. The area is great. I'd love to settle down in NC somewhere. Preferably in the western part but who knows. My fiance lives in Knoxville, TN right now which is only 30 minutes East of Windrock OHV. I'm looking forward to riding over there.
I saw that you got engaged in the thread! I forgot to congratulate you!

I have a lot of friends in Asheville, NC, and I heard Knoxville is great.

We're choosing NC because we both fell in love with the people (being born and raised in Miami, any amount of hospitality is a God send, and courtesy is non-existent), and also the mountains are there! I plan on moving right in between Greensboro / Winston-Salem / Charlotte. Maybe when I go up we can wheel.

But I am thoroughly jealous of the places you have access to.

There are no ORV parks down in South Florida, there's a few government run trails, but they're all mud and door-high water. Which is cool, but I'm not too into mud.
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #254
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
I saw that you got engaged in the thread! I forgot to congratulate you!

I have a lot of friends in Asheville, NC, and I heard Knoxville is great.

We're choosing NC because we both fell in love with the people (being born and raised in Miami, any amount of hospitality is a God send, and courtesy is non-existent), and also the mountains are there! I plan on moving right in between Greensboro / Winston-Salem / Charlotte. Maybe when I go up we can wheel.

But I am thoroughly jealous of the places you have access to.

There are no ORV parks down in South Florida, there's a few government run trails, but they're all mud and door-high water. Which is cool, but I'm not too into mud.
Thanks man. Yeah she is my high school sweetheart. We've been together since I was 16 and her 15. Went to school together but never had a class together. We got engaged last June in San Francisco. I proposed to her in the Golden Gate Park (not the bridge mind you). We came to an open area and miraculously no one was there so I did my thing. I later found out that was the AIDS Memorial Garden I'm laughing but in a good way. From there we rented a car and drove up the Western seaboard and ending in Portland, OR. It was a blast. I actually was on vacation last week and the first part we hiked 7.5 miles in the Smokys on a trail called "The Jump Off". I'll post pics if I can find them.

Asheville is a lot of fun. We went there this past New Years, enjoyed the city and went on the Booze Cruise. We visited (3) breweries and once again had a blast. Knoxville is pretty nice too. I've heard folks say it's an ugly city but I disagree. There are a lot of hidden treasures there. The only thing I don't care for is all the orange. Apparently there is some kind of school there

I've been to Miami once years ago. It was nice but I really need to learn spanglish if I want to go back.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #255
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks man. Yeah she is my high school sweetheart. We've been together since I was 16 and her 15. Went to school together but never had a class together. We got engaged last June in San Francisco. I proposed to her in the Golden Gate Park (not the bridge mind you). We came to an open area and miraculously no one was there so I did my thing. I later found out that was the AIDS Memorial Garden I'm laughing but in a good way. From there we rented a car and drove up the Western seaboard and ending in Portland, OR. It was a blast. I actually was on vacation last week and the first part we hiked 7.5 miles in the Smokys on a trail called "The Jump Off". I'll post pics if I can find them.

Asheville is a lot of fun. We went there this past New Years, enjoyed the city and went on the Booze Cruise. We visited (3) breweries and once again had a blast. Knoxville is pretty nice too. I've heard folks say it's an ugly city but I disagree. There are a lot of hidden treasures there. The only thing I don't care for is all the orange. Apparently there is some kind of school there

I've been to Miami once years ago. It was nice but I really need to learn spanglish if I want to go back.
HAHAHA. Great story for the children if there are any in the future.

That sounds real nice, though. Trips and partners never worked well with me. Not sure why.

But, yeah. There's more breweries per square mile in that town than in any other town in the nation.

I have to visit Knoxville eventually.

And Miami is a bad place, man. I know a bit of Spanish just because I had to. But the people are very rude. If you can get around that, it has awesome outdoor activities. Boating, fishing, diving, airboating, hiking -- the Everglades is beautiful! But if you're in the city, it's kind of a dump. I could recommend a lot of other places that does things Miami does better. Unless you want a beach-side club. But that's not my scene.

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.