Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Louie4's YJ

352K views 3K replies 156 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I figured I would make a "build" thread. I have had my YJ for nearly 10 years and have been doing mods here and there so I won't have a lot of pics of the entire process.

I got my '93 YJ when I turned 16. I paid $1500 at the time which was a steal. I can't find any stock pictures but I have some of the earlier versions.

Some specs as of today:

-3.5" Black Diamond lift springs
-Stock TJ alloy wheels
-Worn out Aurora 31" x 10.5" M/T's (cheap)
-Detroit EZ locker in the rear
-Lock-Right in the front
-Yukon 4.10's front and rear (Yes I still have the D35 and I regeared it:thumbdown:)
-Some kind of hack 'n' tap SYE and a Tom Woods rear driveshaft from a wrecked '95 YJ
-Currie boomerang shackles front and rear
-Herculined Tub

Here's some pics from Tellico when I had 2" double military wrapped springs (complete crap), Liberty all-terrain 30" x 9.5" cheapo tires. I can't remember if I had my rear locker in or not.

I got my SYE from a buddy that worked at the old shop I used to work for.
I had to get the driveshaft shortened because the '95 YJ it came off of was a SOA. Took about 2" out of the center section.

I'm sure a lot of you have had this problem with the rear shock mounts on your Dana 35. I backed into a rock and after a year of on road driving it finally gave out. I replaced them this past April with some generic ones I got from a 4WD shop I rode past. I'll post the new ones up later.
Also, this was the first break. I got my neighbor to weld the piece back on one time and it broke again another year later.

This doesn't show the entire process but it shows some of the gear pattern pics of when I was re-gearing my front and rear axle. I rebuilt both axles replacing all the bearings. I set everything up myself. It was my first gear install and they haven't torn up yet so that's a good sign. I don't know if I would do it again just because of the hassle factor. I don't have all the tools a machine shop has but I have more than the average backyard mechanic. The most important tool I bought was an in-lb torque wrench. I got it from Amazon from a bike shop.

Some of the D30. I had to take the ring gear off to put the locker in. I wasn't thinking and forgot to put it in.

After I re-geared my rpm's went up and vibrations from my front driveshaft were becoming very noticeable on the road. I had originally got a ZJ front driveshaft planning on putting that on the front. I took it to the driveshaft shop and the guy there wouldn't warranty the ZJ one because going to a length of 43" with an O.D. of 1.75" he said it would fail at 3000 rpm's. I was surprised because my stock front driveshaft was that length and I have been running it for a long time. He said he would have to go to a 3" O.D. to warranty it. Well, I ended up spending $50 to have my stock one straightened and balanced. I still have a few vibes but not as bad. Here's some pics of the ZJ front driveshaft and the one I put in.

Attachments

See less See more
#556 ·
Ask and you shall receive. :D

Hey louie was that your broken shaft? if so was that inner shaft a stocker? doesn't look like it.
Indeed it was. That was what it came with in '93 and over 304,000+ miles ago.:thumbsup:

Hey I have a couple piles of those shafts, unit bearings and knuckles if you need a temp. I'd mail them to you for cost of shipping if there's anything specific you need. (USPS flat rate is $16)

I can see if I have what you need.
Thanks Matt. I now need another spare pass. side shaft. I still use the disconnect. If you have one let me know.

#561 ·
PM sent.

How much do they charge? It does look like a fun place to go.. Might have to add that to the group of summer trip suggestions for this years big 4x4 trip lol
For a day ride it's $17 a day for a permit. If you get two days it's $33. You'll also need to buy a map for $5.49. This is assuming you don't stay at the park. I stayed in primitive cabins for $100 a night. It has (2) bunk beds so (4) places to sleep, sink, microwave, small refrigerator, bathroom, and shower. I'm not sure how much the primitive camping is which is what I usually do. We decided to get the cabins because it was a double bachelor party for my buddy and me.

Here's another problem I need to address.

Anyone have good recommendations for body mounts? I need cut these off and reweld them all around. These bent because only the sides were welded. What sucks is I don't know when I can fix them. I don't have access to place to work on my jeep nor a welder.:thumbdown:

#560 ·
I love the pictures of your jeep with the Uhaul trailer lol. How dose the jeep handle on road with the lunch box locker in the 8.8? Awesome wheeling pics too.

#562 ·
Thanks man. The lunchbox locker acts like any other. I've been running a lunchbox locker in my jeep rear axles for years so I know how it handles and how to adjust my driving style. You just have to know when to lay off the gas and how to accelerate.

#568 ·
I think these are what I will replace the stock mounts with. They are pure beef.

All of my mounts look like that too. Its a YJ thing.
This is good. I will be riding on these for a time.

The bright side about those body mounts is that when you fix them, you'll actually be giving yourself about 1/2" of lift. :p
I am looking forward to this.

Got these prepped for shipping. Will get them out tomorrow. You can deal with the ujoint ;)
You the man Matt! Thanks again!

Looks like you'll get to use that new vice with the shaft from soonermatt
Indeed I will. Thanks again Steven.

#569 ·
Thanks Matt!

I also got my nut riveter in from H.F. I think this will work perfectly. I think I'm going to put some RTV on the inserts when I set them in the windshield. Now I just need to get rid of the hardtop.

I was also visiting my home town. My fiancé's bachelorette party was there this weekend so I visited the folks and my grandparents. While in town I picked up a pack of Terrapin Pumpkinfest. It's a seasonal from our local brewery in Athens, GA. I can't wait to taste it. October is my favorite season for beer.

#574 ·
Not too bad. This is actually my second set. I found a deal on Rusty's Off Road for (4) rear 3.5" B.D. springs for $35 each. I couldn't pass it up so I got them and replaced my tired set.

The only thing I don't like is the leaves tend to shift around the spring pins. I think that could be resolved if they had another clamp on the pack that was closer to the center. Other than that I've had pretty good luck with them.

You have lockers Lou? by the way nice videos!! love your Jeep! :D
Indeed Fernando. I've had lockers for 6-7 years. I ran a few months without one in the 8.8 a couple years ago but after a wheeling trip without it I had to put the Aussie in.

I have some more pics I need to post.

#575 ·
I've been out messing with the jeep some and got a few small things done and found a few things I need to fix.

I need new front u-bolts. My leaves on the front pass. side spring pack were shifting. They never have before. Here's why:

That there was a nut on there but it just spun.

I got around to taking the old u-joint out of the spare shaft soonermatt gave me. I also got to use my new vise my buddy Steven got me as a going away present. It works pretty well. I had to figure out a few tricks for it to get the u-joints out. Once I had the vise tight I hit the top backside with a hammer and it would just pop the u-joint caps through.

I put new rubber hangers on my exhaust. I still need to cut the end of the pipe off though.

I unspooled my winch line and respooled it proper.

I finally put a sheet metal screw in my high-lift jack handle. The handle walked out on me while I was riding the trails and it was only held in by the Daystar isolator.

As of now I need to get a new u-joint since Autozone gave me the bigger one for the axles, buy a set of front u-bolts, and clean the jeep up. I have a guy coming to look at the top this weekend so it may be gone. That means it's time for the Softopper to go on.

#576 ·
Sorry for the breakage Lou! Been a bad month for front shafts. My last trail ride here in Ohio a guy with a front Aussie broke the shafts in his YJ.

Glad you had fun at Windrock though. I have planned a trip for Oct 29 weekend, wanna go?

PM Sorohanbrowns on JF, he is my buddy in Knoxville. He loves Jeeps and has a garage, I bet he would definitely let you bring your YJ over.

Also if you are going to keep the CAD, I have the CAD shafts from mine that you can have. I could bring them when I come down.

#577 ·
My shafts have lasted pretty long being the stock ones that came with it. First one I've actually broke believe it or not.

I'd love to go and if I can get away I can make a little day trip since I'm 35 minutes away. If you don't mind throwing the shafts in your jeep I'll try to make it over. I'm unsure what's happening besides school (and hopefully work). I'm getting married Oct. 6th but we don't have any honeymoon plans until the Summer at the earliest.

I may PM your buddy. I need a wrenching buddy but until I settle into school and find a job it may be a bit until I contact him.

Thanks for offering the shafts!:cheers2:

#578 ·
Lou the awesomeness level on that vise is off the charts! I loved it...

I want to get lockers too... but that is such an expensive mod, I thought about those lunchbox lockers... they might work for me since I don't do any real heavy offroading

Hope you get all your things figured out soon and for the best!

#579 ·
Thanks Fernando! I appreciate the compliments.

Well I sold the hardtop this morning. Pretty excited to get rid of it. I took a lot less than what I think it was worth but it's Summer time and I don't want to put the Softopper on in the Winter.

I had some foam tape on the sides of the tub where the side rails use to be. It was very dumb to do that and I didn't realize there was foam on the underside of the hardtop so I put this dumb tape on there. It was a PITA to get it off. I used up a majority of my Goof Off to get it clean. I also put some on the top of the windshield frame...ugh. I spent several hours cleaning that off.

After that I pulled out the nut riveter out of the package and decided I wanted to use the #10-24 inserts. When I went to put the stud in the tool I found one end was not threaded. I emailed the pics below to Harbor Freight. I'm debating whether or not I should thread it myself or just wait for HF.

What would you guys do?

Attachments

#580 ·
Well hardtop is gone.

Did some cleaning on the side rails and the top of the windshield.

I put the nut rivet inserts in the top of the windshield. I used the #8-32 inserts and HF is sending me the #10-24 tool that was messed up in my package. However the #8-32 is holding well. I put blue loctite on the threads with small washers and I put electrical tape over the other holes I drilled in the top.

I finally cut off my roll bar padding. It's been on there since '93 and though I liked the look it was very old.

#587 ·
Thank you good sir. I'm excited about having it over the soft top. My jeep feels like it use to when I had the Supertop on.

The soft top looks good. I like it a lot. Also like the lights, I have a jigsaw as well as the hole saw you need for those lights. Nacho bought it and left at my place. Worked perfectly.
Thanks Steven. I will have to take you up on the hole saw and jig saw.

#589 ·
That does sound daunting.

I also have another problem. Whenever I wipe the hood the paint is coming off. Not good. I hope it can survive a couple years till I get a more permanent residence.

Anybody have any quick fixes? I guess I could just rattle can the hood.