Louie4's YJ - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #196
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Painted. I just need to clean up the diff cover and the mating surfaces.

img_1868.jpg  

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #197
BigJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like the diff guard! But, do you think you lost any structural strength by removing that top post?

1991 YJ, 400m, C6, NP205, 14b, Dana 44, 39.5 Iroks
BigJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #198
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeepyj91
I like the diff guard! But, do you think you lost any structural strength by removing that top post?
Yeah it will reduce the strength but I'm going to have to hit something pretty hard to deform it. I got the guard for free in a raffle so worse comes to worse I replace it with a SOLID or Riddler cover. I just hate not having access to the full plug to check or add fluid without having to potentially change the seal every time. All the scars on it were on the bottom where most of the forces was transferred through the bolts and main brace. I think it will take a few good licks before I need to get a new one.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #199
jeepnrover
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just read this thread from start to finish. Love your YJ! You seem to have struck that perfect balance between capable and streetable, and on a budget no less. Eventually that's where I'd like to get with mine. So is the YJ your only vehicle?
jeepnrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #200
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnrover View Post
Just read this thread from start to finish. Love your YJ! You seem to have struck that perfect balance between capable and streetable, and on a budget no less. Eventually that's where I'd like to get with mine. So is the YJ your only vehicle?
Thanks man. It was my daily driver for about 6 or 7 years. i drove it through high school and most of college. While I was in college it was starting to modify it and gas was hovering around $4/gal so I contacted one of my co-workers at a mechanic shop I worked at after high school. I got this '86 Civic from him for $200. I put about $100 into it and got it running.

It was a fun little car especially when you know it's a beater. I drove it for about two years when I finished out college and started a real job. Four months into my real job I decided to get a brand spanking new 2009 Civic because I was putting a lot of miles going to see my now fiance about 2 hours away every weekend. It started to give me more trouble than I wanted and I figured a professional job warranted a professional ride.

I like not having to worry about how I'm going to get to work now.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #201
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I went by my buddies house to check out his D30 yokes from his CJ's. They were not much better than mine. So I just bought a new one off Quadratec. It's the u-bolt conversion kit. It comes with the yoke, u-bolts, seal and pinion nut. It was $55.00 shipped to my door. Hopefully I'll get it before my wheeling trip at the end of the month.
43119-lg.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #202
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I bought an 85 amp continuous duty relay for my Ford Taurus fan. I'm going to wire it up to the high speed side of the fan because I don't have it hooked up now. The current draw is about 50-60 amps (per Que) for the high speed. Right now my engine is getting a little hot at cruising speeds and I need the high speed to help it cool.
relay.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #203
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I also got around to putting my diff cover and guard on. Then I found out how big of a doofus I was. I tried to move my jeep close to my deck so I could throw a drop cord down and use my angle grinder to clean up the RTV. Well I backed up and pulled forward then stopped. I got out and kicked myself. There was no yoke on the pinion gear so it shifted and bound up. I got out and checked everything out and found a gouge in the carrier. Luckily that was it and the gears looked good so I put the old yoke on to get it out of the middle of the parking lot.

I put a small strong magnet in the little sump in the bottom of the diff. It's been on my fridge for forever and I figured it could collect all the small metal particles.
img_1885.jpg   img_1886.jpg   img_1887.jpg   img_1889.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #204
BigJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does the tie rod come close to hitting the diff guard

1991 YJ, 400m, C6, NP205, 14b, Dana 44, 39.5 Iroks
BigJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #205
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeepyj91
Does the tie rod come close to hitting the diff guard
I don't think it would really matter but I'm curious how close you get at full turn. I like that you flipped it BTW.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #206
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

try turning the fan off altogether at highway speeds. That's probably why its over heating.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #207
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can stick a piece of construction paper in there. It's got slight rubbing on the tie rod but I believe that's from hitting large objects on the trail. I wish I had that tie rod flipped. I have a reamer my buddy let me borrow I just haven't ordered the sleeves. I've also thought about the goferits but once again I'm being lazy. Shoot I even have a stock pitman arm ready. Should have my HD yoke tomorrow. Then I'll be back in business.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #208
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDnBLUES
try turning the fan off altogether at highway speeds. That's probably why its over heating.
I'll give it a shot I guess. I just hate having to remember to turn it back on. The last time I flipped the switch to off I got the motor pretty toasty going up a steep climb in the N. GA mountains.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #209
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
You can stick a piece of construction paper in there. It's got slight rubbing on the tie rod but I believe that's from hitting large objects on the trail. I wish I had that tie rod flipped. I have a reamer my buddy let me borrow I just haven't ordered the sleeves. I've also thought about the goferits but once again I'm being lazy. Shoot I even have a stock pitman arm ready. Should have my HD yoke tomorrow. Then I'll be back in business.
Don't worry about the reamer; you can use a drill bit and a drill if you're careful. You just have to hold it at an angle and rotate it. I've done six of them now.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #210
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Don't worry about the reamer; you can use a drill bit and a drill if you're careful. You just have to hold it at an angle and rotate it. I've done six of them now.
If I go for the goferits I'll just use the 3/4" bit. If I go for the sleeves I'll use the reamer. I don't have any spare knuckles around in case I screw up which I think I would. We'll see. I have a wheeling trip coming up in two weeks so I may not get around to it for a few months. Generally after a trip I let the jeep sit for a month and then start to work on it again but I know I will busy all through the month of April. May will most likely be the earliest I get back on the trail.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.