Louie4's YJ - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #151
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How does the Taurus fas work for you. Do you have it on a thermostat or just switched on

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #152
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin82 View Post
How does the Taurus fas work for you. Do you have it on a thermostat or just switched on
I have a Hayden adjustable thermostat I got from O'Reilly's for $19, a 40 amp relay and a cutoff switch. It's been working fine but gets a little hot on the highway. As you can see I have it out of the jeep now. I needed to properly secure it to the radiator. I'm also going to pick up an XJ water pump to get more clearance. I have the pulley and since I have it all out I might as well bite the bullet.

I will say that I don't believe I have the proper Taurus fan. It fits up pretty good but I had to trim and do some test fitment. I've seen others that are slimmer that I might try to find.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #153
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well the weather was amazing yesterday so I went ahead and took my water pump off and put the XJ one on. I picked up the new brand new pump (not reman'ed) and stopped for the day. It got dark and I went to sell my back seat and make a few bucks for future upgrades.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the bolt size is for the XJ water pump pulley. I found a metric bolt that screws in so I just need to identify it.

Here's a pic with the old water pump.

Here's the two pumps side by side with the pulleys.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #154
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just read through your whole thread and i love the direction you went. im interested in how you lifted yours using longer truck shocks and those new springs. altogether how much did that run you? and besides the shackles, what else did you buy to complete the lift. im looking to lift it for as cheap as possible.
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #155
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Thanks man!

I found a deal from another forum member on new 3.5" Black Diamond springs. Rusty's Off-Road was selling them for $35 a spring. I have been running them for over 6 years and they have been abused heavily. I couldn't pass this deal up because they springs were cheap and they were all the rear springs with 5 leafs. The shipping was $83 but the total for all the springs was $224. I ordered them yesterday and guess what arrived today.

Good deal on the springs man! I am expecting that at some point I will be replacing mine.

You're doing a great job on the ole YJ. It's amazing how much time, work, and money you can put into one of these things, just to keep it running and maintained. If we only had to buy mods we would have monster rigs by now

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #156
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93 View Post
I just read through your whole thread and i love the direction you went. im interested in how you lifted yours using longer truck shocks and those new springs. altogether how much did that run you? and besides the shackles, what else did you buy to complete the lift. im looking to lift it for as cheap as possible.
Well the springs were 3.5" Black Diamonds. I was replacing my original 3.5" Black Diamonds because the deal was that good and I got (4) HD rear springs all around. The shocks I sized up from this pdf I found online for Monroe shocks. They have the mounting type on each end, extended and compressed lengths.

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloa...engthSheet.pdf

I measured my mounting points after I flexed out the suspension and chose the appropriate shocks, went to Autozone and gave them the part numbers to order them. I think I spent maybe $100 for all four. They also have a lifetime warranty.

As for the rest of the lift I put a 1" Daystar body lift, TJ flares and a dropped pitman arm. I don't consider it cheap. The only way to get away with it as cheap as possible is to do it right the first time. Otherwise you'll be replacing stuff later down the line. I went through that once and low and behold I'm still replacing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Good deal on the springs man! I am expecting that at some point I will be replacing mine.

You're doing a great job on the ole YJ. It's amazing how much time, work, and money you can put into one of these things, just to keep it running and maintained. If we only had to buy mods we would have monster rigs by now
Thanks man I appreciate it. If I had a place to work on it and I knew what lies ahead for my future I would be doing a lot but I'm just trying to keep it maintained and mod accordingly to stay on the trails.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #157
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm getting a RC 4" lift with all new springs and shocks but I was curious about the truck ones because I thought the top and bottom would be different.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #158
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93
I'm getting a RC 4" lift with all new springs and shocks but I was curious about the truck ones because I thought the top and bottom would be different.
I just had to make sure there was an eye on the bottom and stud on the top with the proper lengths. You can get the conversion kit so you can use eyes in both ends. If you do you get a wider range of options. I'm think about using Ford front shock towers to get the eye mounting and extend it to use a longer shock.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #159
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

I just had to make sure there was an eye on the bottom and stud on the top with the proper lengths. You can get the conversion kit so you can use eyes in both ends. If you do you get a wider range of options. I'm think about using Ford front shock towers to get the eye mounting and extend it to use a longer shock.
Well for the time being until I get my lift for my birthday I'm picking up a hard top tomorrow for 100 bucks so I'm pretty excited about that. Even though my uppers will overlap

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #160
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I swung by and picked up a tailgate after work today. Not bad for $50. I initially spoke with the guy and he said he had a green one that actually matched my jeep very well, exact pretty much. The only thing was it had half the tail gate hinge, the arm to be exact. Well when I was there I saw a red one also that had hinges, the late YJ and TJ style that were beefy. I asked if I could see it and it matched up perfect to the YJ tailgate so I got it.

I went to Lowe's and picked up some semi flat black paint and found M8x1.25x12MM bolts for the XJ water pump. Any recommendations on how to prep this tailgate? I was thinking a scotch brite pad or just plain sand paper. What do y'all think?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #161
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Scotchbrite should be fine. I would grab a can of primer to spray first then top coat with the semi flat. It should keep that paint sticking longer.
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #162
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin82 View Post
Scotchbrite should be fine. I would grab a can of primer to spray first then top coat with the semi flat. It should keep that paint sticking longer.
Good call. I'll get some primer and scotchbrite pads. I need to get the waterpump, radiator and fan back in first so I'll focus on that this afternoon.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #163
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got the XJ waterpump on and everything is working great. I took pics and was about to upload them when I accidentally deleted them. I'll have to post some pics tomorrow for the motor. I did get the hinges off the tailgate. I had to trade in my T40 Duralast torx bit at Autozone (lifetime) and I bought a bolt extractor bit to get the stripped bolts out. It took a little bit but I got them loose. Now I just need to find replacement bolts that aren't torx.

Any ideas?
img_1818.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #164
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You got a fastener/hardware store around. We have a few bolt stores nearby and they could easily match that up. Do you care if its tapered like that?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #165
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools
You got a fastener/hardware store around. We have a few bolt stores nearby and they could easily match that up. Do you care if its tapered like that?
I can go to Ace Hardware and get some socket head countersunk ones. I had thought about just a bolt and washer but figured it would look better with the countersunk. We also have a Fastenal. I might ask them if there are any other options.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.