Louie4's YJ - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Louie4's YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #136
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just an idea... A rifle cleaning brush would be perfect for that kinda thing. 30 cal or 45 cal along with some gun cleaning solvent. Such as hoppes no. 9 solvent, because after all that's what gun solvent is for, is to eat the soot and carbon out of gun barrels. Just a thought, its how I used to clean carbs way back in the day. And you could have ate breakfast off those carbs when I got done with them.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #137
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Just an idea... A rifle cleaning brush would be perfect for that kinda thing. 30 cal or 45 cal along with some gun cleaning solvent. Such as hoppes no. 9 solvent, because after all that's what gun solvent is for, is to eat the soot and carbon out of gun barrels. Just a thought, its how I used to clean carbs way back in the day. And you could have ate breakfast off those carbs when I got done with them.
Dang Pete! I wish I would have read this earlier. I went straight home after work yesterday, went on a quick jog then started on the jeep. I used the parts cleaner at work and a wire brush and it got all the slimy goo out but I think a rifle brush could have got more of the carbon out. Oh well. I got it pretty clean.

I didn't take any pics yet because it was dark and my pictures suck in the day time so night would be worse. After I got it back together I let it run and burn off all the junk on the new exhaust manifold. The engine seem to have a little more pep and responsiveness to it. I drove it for maybe 45 minutes in town on the interstate. When I'm rolling at 70 mph and I stomp on the gas it goes. So I'm pleased with the results of a new exhaust manifold and cleaning the intake. This morning I'm going to have a buddy from work follow me to the exhaust shop so I can get the new pipes put on.

I'll post pics Monday!

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #138
yjdude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks man. Yeah there is something there for everyone and how far you want to go depends on you. Skip is a real good guy and when we got in a jam he helped us big time. Being that you're open front and rear you'll just have to finesse the skinny pedal a little more and pick your lines carefully. The guy in the tan YJ in my pics was open with 31's and he was able to do quite a bit.
Thanks for the info. Cant wait to get my jeep off the pavement a little.
yjdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #139
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to post more pics of the engine and new exhaust when I get it back next week. I did put the intake back together after cleaning it, the fuel rail, and the throttle body thoroughly. I replaced the o-rings and throttle body gasket of course. It runs great now and has a lot more spunk.
image-956922477.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #140
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finally picked up my jeep up after work today. Apparently it was ready Monday but they did not type my phone number in correctly so they left a message to someone else. I finally called today and found out what was going on.

I was pleased with the work. They ran it the way I asked and it's actually quieter now which I don't mind. The price wasn't too bad either. Here's a break down of cost for my new exhaust.

Manifold = $73.81
Magnaflow Catalytic Converter = $72.26
Exhaust shop who put it all in = $227.11

Total = $373.18

Not too bad. Now for pics.

Here's the engine back together.

Finally, as she sits today.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #141
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a little side topic to my build. Which is actually another build of a 1953 M38 Willys Jeep. It's coming along very nicely and their is a good story behind it. The guy restoring it is wanting another jeep to replace the first one he had when he was still in school years ago. He said it was a lot of fun, none of the gauges worked, the ride was rough but he really enjoyed it. He ended up selling it because him and his wife had just married and needed some money to start out. He doesn't regret the decision but always wanted another. Well decades later after being in the military and retiring from Delta he's got his project. He works on it at a shop about a mile from my work. He goes to church with the mechanic that runs the shop and is good friends with my co-worker and friend (how I found out about it). We stopped by today after lunch to see the progress. He has allotted Tuesdays and Thursdays to just his jeep and that works well with his wife.

So far he's had almost all the parts powder coated, replaced all the hardware, having engine rebuilt by the mechanic, put new brake lines, seals and basically has a very complete chassis. He's going for a complete restore and has been going around the Eastern part of the country getting parts. He does have a gas can that his dad owned that he will mounting in the back. I'll be honest, his build is a lot cooler than mine. Now for pics.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #142
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm finally getting around to uploading my videos to Youtube. Here's me going up Cherry Bomb at Choccolocco Mountain. I have some more videos of my buddies I'll post later.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #143
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I went to help my buddy with his 8.8 and Eaton E-locker last night. I didn't really do much. He wanted me to give my blessing over his gear setup. He reused the 4.10's but just put the E-locker in. He copied the pattern and backlash from the factory setup so I had no qualms with it. Well I didn't like the gear patterns but he showed me the factory ones and they matched up almost identical.

Anyway my buddy gave me a TJ sound bar. I already have the stock one for my YJ but the TJ one has a dome light and it was free.

My jeep is getting a new windshield put in so it's at the glass shop. I was going to pick it up tomorrow but I have to go home and see my grandmother. She's not doing too well.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #144
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your Jeep is coming along really nicely. I've been impressed with what you can do with it. I prefer to see what can be done with a streetable Jeep. If going wheeling involves putting your Jeep on a trailer, it's just not the same. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just much more impressive (to me anyway) to be able to take a nasty obstacle and then drive it home.

Loved the shots of the old Willy's. My brother has a '41 slat grill that was produced in the first week of production. My dad bought it about 25 years ago and it's always been a fun little ride. It has a whopping 40k miles on it (...I'm jealous of that. The mileage on my YJ is in line with yours, but mine only had 35k on it when I bought it). He's been gathering parts for it for a few years with the intention of a full restoration.

Best wishes for your grandmother and your family. I'm sure that there are several folks here who will keep you guys in their thoughts.
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #145
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Your Jeep is coming along really nicely. I've been impressed with what you can do with it. I prefer to see what can be done with a streetable Jeep. If going wheeling involves putting your Jeep on a trailer, it's just not the same. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just much more impressive (to me anyway) to be able to take a nasty obstacle and then drive it home.

Loved the shots of the old Willy's. My brother has a '41 slat grill that was produced in the first week of production. My dad bought it about 25 years ago and it's always been a fun little ride. It has a whopping 40k miles on it (...I'm jealous of that. The mileage on my YJ is in line with yours, but mine only had 35k on it when I bought it). He's been gathering parts for it for a few years with the intention of a full restoration.

Best wishes for your grandmother and your family. I'm sure that there are several folks here who will keep you guys in their thoughts.
Thanks man I appreciate it. Hopefully things will go well.

Back to jeep stuff. I'd love to have a an old Willys jeep to restore or an old CJ-5. I do pride myself on being able to drive my jeep on the road and tackle the hard stuff but of course I take the risk if I really break but that's why I ride with friends.

I don't mind dinging my YJ up but I want it to be able to get me home without the elements on me and I do want it to look semi decent. So far I've been able to achieve that.

My future plans are to sell my CJ-7 hardtop and get a softopper. I always take the hardtop off and wheel without it so I have no protection beyond my bikini top when the weather gets nasty.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #146
BigJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If your willing to sell your YJ sound bar I would be interested!!

Hope your Grandmother is doing good.

1991 YJ, 400m, C6, NP205, 14b, Dana 44, 39.5 Iroks
BigJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #147
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I really dig that old willys!

The videos you posted is cool too, do you happen to know what camera you guys used?

My YJ build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/abcs-yj-build-1296743/
abc_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #148
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeepyj91 View Post
If your willing to sell your YJ sound bar I would be interested!!

Hope your Grandmother is doing good.
I'll let you know when I take it out. I am going to wait until I sell the hardtop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here View Post
I really dig that old willys!

The videos you posted is cool too, do you happen to know what camera you guys used?
Thanks. That Willys is owned by a co-workers best friend. He's a really nice guy and I'm very interested in his build.

I used an iphone for the latest ones. The Gulches videos I had a Sony digital camera.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #149
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got my jeep back from the glass shop. I had them glue my inner glass seal up because it was hanging down. I remember it doing that last time I had the glass replaced but this was pretty bad.

Well I had intended on fixing my radio but of course I didn't. I ended up pulling the radiator out and bolting my Taurus fan to it. When I first did the swap I zip tied it to test it out and lo and behold I didn't fix it the right way. So a couple weeks ago one side broke and my fan motor was rubbing on the water pump pulley. It was making a knocking sound. When the motor kicked on it pushed back into the motor.

My workspace.

Wear mark.

Installed with bolts I had lying around.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #150
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't found any cables I can use for my radio antenna. I might be able to use the Chrysler adapter but I'm not sure. I sheared my old one clean off on a tree. I'm sure I posted pics a few pages back. I'm going to go to Autozone and see if I can find an adapter to the antenna itself.
img_1744.jpg  

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Tags
cheap , domination , georgia , poison spyder , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.