lolitsdaelan's "I have no idea what I'm doing" build thread ('99 TJ) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > lolitsdaelan's "I have no idea what I'm doing" build thread ('99 TJ)

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #46
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Like I said, I'm willing to give you a hand with a new clutch. That's what I think it is and it's really a pretty easy job.
Just name I time and I'll come on over

I've got work travel all this week, so I'll order a kit sometime today and hopefully that will be sitting at my door when I get back.

And then those cloaks should be coming in

Unread 07-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Woohoo, Luk clutch kit is in!

Buuuuttt, looks like at least 2 more weeks on the fenders

To bide my time, I'll be looking to drill the front grill for some new turn signals and take care of my leaky rear diff.
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #48
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

the waiting game is the worst. I ordered a new track bar from MC almost a month ago and still waiting

I too have their arched fenders, bumper, and duroflex control arms. good stuff. Build is coming along nicely, one thing I spotted: you're looking into tires for a 15" wheel, aren't those JK wheels 16 or 17"?
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #49
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's always worth it though. I stopped over at Imped's a while back right as he finished installing his MC track bar, it's a solid component no doubt!

They are JK wheels, but I picked up some 15" Alloy ProComp 7069s a while back when they had a nice special them. So they're just collecting dust until I find something to put on them
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #50
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bit of a delay on the update, but Imped and I got that clutch kit installed, and my clutch chatter is no more!

Overall my clutch looked to be in OK condition, however, the throwout bearing had one of the metal clips completely broken off...

Which makes sense as to why I had such terrible chatter. As the throwout begins to engage, it's not held tightly in place, and bounced/bucked until it was fully engaged.

New throwout bearing...

Now my only issue on takeoff is a little lateral movement from my shifter, which from what I've heard is due to worn engine mounts. I've got a set coming in either today or tomorrow. I'm figuring motor mounts will be easy to do once I have my fenders removed in preparation of my METALCLOAK ARCHED TUBE FENDERS!

YYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Current plan is to have these primed and painted this week, and ready to go for installation on Sunday. Pretty optimistic given my usual rate of work, but we'll see...
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #51
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

3 month fast forward!

Painting the fenders...

The before shot...

One side off...

Both sides off...

New fenders installed!

From the front!

Trying them out...

And since the fender were off, figured I'd replace the motor mounts. Old vs. new...

All mounted up!

I don't have any pictures of it, but I also put Metalcloak front uppers in, and did my own alignment for the first time! Huzzah!
Despite the new control arms, I'm still battling DW, and with the holidays, the budget is tight. I may look into the ZJ tie rod upgrade...
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #52
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a few days since my first go at an alignment, and I'm blown away at how big of a difference correct toe-in can make! Before the alignment I appeared to be sitting at the exact same spacing between the front and back tires, so not toe-in nor toe-out. Now I don't feel the Jeep wandering nearly as badly, and the shimmy from up front seems to have resided for now. I'm starting to suspect the steering box for the remaining "loosesness" that I'm feeling up front, but that will have to wait until after the holiday season, unless Santa brings me a steering box...
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #53
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got the crap kicked out of me during the massive winter storm that swept through Indiana last week. I know have a 'lurching' feeling when I get up around 30+, the ac compressor makes a whole ton of noise, and my front right ujoint is bad. I need some warm weather to come around so I can get back underneath this mess!
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #54
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Old Jeep, old parts man. It'll take a while to play catch-up but once all the old stuff is finally gone the Jeep will be much more reliable and much less of a PITA. You know who to call if you need a hand.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #55
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Old Jeep, old parts man. It'll take a while to play catch-up but once all the old stuff is finally gone the Jeep will be much more reliable and much less of a PITA. You know who to call if you need a hand.
Appreciate it man! Just wishing it was at least above freezing out so I could tinker around without freezing my *** off. We'll see how nicely the tax man treats me this season and go from there
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #56
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just needed to say that cotter pins are the bane of my existence...
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #57
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the u-joints on the front axles and hooolllyyyy ccrraaapppp were they bad. Of the 8 caps, 3 had any semblance of grease, and 1 had ground the pins to dust (or they fell out?). Jeep is much more stable on the road, but I can still feel that pre-DW shimmy on the highway. I inspected the track bar again, and I'm starting to suspect that the axle side hole is a bit on the wallowed side. I thread it through each side and was able to wiggle it a decent amount. I'll likely just deal with it until I can afford a nice track bar (likely Metalcloak).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.