lolitsdaelan's "I have no idea what I'm doing" build thread ('99 TJ) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > lolitsdaelan's "I have no idea what I'm doing" build thread ('99 TJ)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #31
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No ****?

God knows you needed them......

Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #32
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just got a courtesy call from them, should be here in about 2 weeks!
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #33
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice man. Subbed for more

Also jealous that you're by imped...

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #34
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Nice man. Subbed for more

Also jealous that you're by imped...
Thanks! Hopefully I can continue to deliver some quality content (wallet pending)
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've started to pit Tire Barn and Discount Tire against each other for the best price on some 33x10.5r15 BFG A/T KOs, but I can't help but hear all these great reviews about Duratracs... Should be another week or two before I'm ready to pull the trigger. Decisions decisions...
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #36
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I like AT's better than Duratracs. I've wheeled with guys with both and driven rigs with both. If it was my money, I'd go AT. Just damn good tires for a little bit of everything but not great at anything.
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #37
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have been more than happy with my Duratracs so far.

Unread 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #38
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Honestly, I like AT's better than Duratracs. I've wheeled with guys with both and driven rigs with both. If it was my money, I'd go AT. Just damn good tires for a little bit of everything but not great at anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
I have been more than happy with my Duratracs so far.
Hah, each tire has nothing but good things said about them!

I will likely get the BFG since my preference currently lies in a 10.5 tire vs a 12.5... Seeing as it's really a DD with maybe an off road trip every 2-3 months, I think the thinner tire with slightly less aggressive tread will ultimately serve me better. It's just hard to stick to my guns with so many good looking tires out there!
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #39
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got the CB installed (somewhat) yesterday. It's been sitting in a box in my garage for about a month now, and I figured that if I can at least get it mounted, I'll then feel the pressure to get the antenna hooked up and tuned.

Originally I wanted an overhead setup, but I found that it fit quite nicely right up against my center console on the driver side.

I tried putting the mic right on the side of the CB itself, but found that I would be smacking my leg into while driving. No good.

To the right of the steering wheel was a nice clean section of dashboard that
ended up working quite well. The only issue I found was that if I pull the mic off too aggressively, I smack the wind shield wipers on.

My buddy has an SWR meter, so hopefully I can snag some of his time and get my Firestik tuned up!
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New issue to resolve...

Jeep shakes pretty violently when taking off in first. Seems to be one of two things...
1) Clutch plate is shot
2) Motor mounts are shot

I was originally convinced it was the clutch, however, I came across another thread recently where a guy had the same issue, and the indication to check the mounts was that his shifter would rock side to side, which is exactly what mine does. I'm not sure if I want to go with some real heavy duty mount (BombProof mounts have some highly recommended from a friend, but are a bit pricey), or just put one some OEM mounts on ($12 a piece). Time to do more research!

Edit:
Actually, I bet it's a combination of both. The Jeep does just fine when it's cold, but gets worse as it heats up, which some have indicated that this is a clutch issue. I could imagine that bad motor mounts would only amplify the effect of the slipping clutch...
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitsdaelan

Hah, each tire has nothing but good things said about them!

I will likely get the BFG since my preference currently lies in a 10.5 tire vs a 12.5... Seeing as it's really a DD with maybe an off road trip every 2-3 months, I think the thinner tire with slightly less aggressive tread will ultimately serve me better. It's just hard to stick to my guns with so many good looking tires out there!
Yeah see I had gotten a really good deal on a set of 15x10 wheels, so BFG couldn't possibly work.

Unread 07-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #42
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitsdaelan View Post
New issue to resolve...

Jeep shakes pretty violently when taking off in first. Seems to be one of two things...
1) Clutch plate is shot
2) Motor mounts are shot

I was originally convinced it was the clutch, however, I came across another thread recently where a guy had the same issue, and the indication to check the mounts was that his shifter would rock side to side, which is exactly what mine does. I'm not sure if I want to go with some real heavy duty mount (BombProof mounts have some highly recommended from a friend, but are a bit pricey), or just put one some OEM mounts on ($12 a piece). Time to do more research!

Edit:
Actually, I bet it's a combination of both. The Jeep does just fine when it's cold, but gets worse as it heats up, which some have indicated that this is a clutch issue. I could imagine that bad motor mounts would only amplify the effect of the slipping clutch...
Is it the clutch slipping? or is it clutch chatter. ..look up clutch chatter...which is different than it just straight slipping...

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #43
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Is it the clutch slipping? or is it clutch chatter. ..look up clutch chatter...which is different than it just straight slipping...

Sent by a messenger bird
I believe it's chatter. It only occurs as I'm engaging in either first or reverse, and once fully engaged, I don't have any issues.
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #44
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitsdaelan View Post

I believe it's chatter. It only occurs as I'm engaging in either first or reverse, and once fully engaged, I don't have any issues.
I'm hardly an expert...but mine does the same thing too. ..but only sometimes.

If you search there are a few different causes ,like the TO bearing, I believe & fluid getting onto the flywheel... along with scorched flywheel. ..

Haha wish I could help more but have just been researching it myself

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #45
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Like I said, I'm willing to give you a hand with a new clutch. That's what I think it is and it's really a pretty easy job.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.