Locked Up's Jeep build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Locked Up's Jeep build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
swampthing06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

oh gotcha! looking forward to the rest of the built. and i remember your black xj, i built my 98 xj in highschool off yours!

swampthing06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthing06 View Post
oh gotcha! looking forward to the rest of the built. and i remember your black xj, i built my 98 xj in highschool off yours!
Thanks.
I miss that XJ actually.

I still get tons of questions about it. I think because it's the first thing listed in the lift setups thread I started in the XJ section.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
WtrHamer97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep, and nice build so far. Be interested in seeing some wheeling pictures!
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Love it. Just don't like Yellow. Sorry.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
jtpaintball70

Nice looking Jeep! Is that a ZX-7R in the background of the first pic?

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Thanks guys.

I actually wanted a darker color but I got such a good deal on it I had to take it.

Not sure on the bike, wasn't mine.

98 XJ
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

Oh heyy! I remember being at krawltex and your jeep was on the lift with the rear end issue. This is for sure a sweet vehicle. Maybe we'll meet up at hidden falls or k-rocks in the future.
Ptr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

For sure man.

Back to the "build"!

After running the TJ that way for a while, and being sick of the crappy braking and poo mileage I started to consider a few things. A v8 to get some power back, a narrowed HP d44 to get 1/2 ton brakes / hubs ... and then, as luck would have it, one of the guys working on my rear end commented on how dam heavy the wheels & tires were. Which got me thinking about how that would impact braking, performance and mileage.

So we pulled one off and found out each one weighed in at 112lbs. that's a good chunk of rolling mass for a 4.0l to push through the auto and it made me start hunting for some lighter tires & wheels.

In the midst of that hunt, my wife had applied for a residency and got it. Congrats for her but it meant she'd be taking a massive pay cut to go back to school so to speak. We figured out our finances and decided it would be best to go ahead and buy a house (first time home buyer credit ... woohoo!) and sell one of my vehicles. I opted to sell the VW and keep the TJ ... which meant it was about to start serving DD duty. that pretty much pushed me over the edge and I decided to go back down to some 33s.

I'm not sure how much difference it woudl have been to just stick with 35s and find some lighter ones, but I can tell you my braking feels a lot better and I picked up 2 mpg since the switch. So there I was, back down on 33s (Pro Comp Extreme MTs).

Shortly after making the switch, I got an email from Tommy letting me know that some spaces had opened up for the spring jamboree in Llano, TX. I signed up without hesitation. With about a month to go I had to squeeze in an alignment, front brake job, tire balance, CB install, tool box install, header and bikini install, trail mirrors and all the other odds and ends that go with a wheeling trip in.

In retrospect, I'm glad I was under the gun because I think I would have sat on my butt getting things done if I had not been in emergency tinker mode.

For the CB, I couldn't figure out where to mount a fullsize one, so I went with a Cobra 75wxst just like I had in the XJ. Installing one of these is a snap and there isn't much to tell but ... here is where I put my control box:

The hand held is mounted to the bottom of the dash.

And the antenna mount is nothing special.

The only thing I did that may be different from what most people do is that I put in an accessory fuse block under the driverside dash. that way I only have to run through the firewall one time, even if I add a few other goodies.

98 XJ

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 04-07-2010 at 11:02 PM..
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #24
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

The next thing I went after was the tool box.
I had a decent setup in my YJ that I was happy with...

So I decided to copy it:

The large change I decided on was that rather than mounting the toolbox through the bottom of it, I opted to use the existing TJ seat mounts and add some brackets to it. I did this because it makes it a lot easier to put in and take out the toolbox and/or seat.

After running the balance/alignment errands and doing a front brake job I ordered up a Bestop no drill header & safari bikini. they arrived the day before I was to leave for the jamboree so I got to work on the install as soon as they arrived.

Suffice to say I was VERY disappointed with the way the header went on. I tried getting it on several times before coming on here to vent and finding that I wasn't alone with my problem:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/be...-sucks-998527/

After getting the cold shoulder from Bestop ... I returned it and decided to run the stock top (minus windows & doors) for the Jamboree.

98 XJ

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 04-07-2010 at 11:06 PM..
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #25
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

So that brings us to the JJ.

Luckily, the trip out to Llano was uneventful but I did take a beating from the wind. I was surprised that the brutal crosswind that day wasn't the worst part. It was actually the wind whipping around and hitting me from the back and on the right side of my head/face. It really made me consider getting a windjammer for the door-less trips. So that has been added to my list. i also felt like I was hearing the rear end make more noise than it should have. I wrote it off as my just having the doors off but it got louder over time and by the time I got back, well that's another story for another post.

Once we got out there, we got registered and settled into camp. Tommy, Doug & I had planned on camping but thanks to Todd, Gordon, & Keith for opening up their RVs and letting us crash indoors. The mornings were cold enough to freeze the dew on the ground (and my topless jeep) so a trail cover has also been added to my shopping list.

I couldn't begin to tell you what trails we hit each day but I did learn a few things as it was my first time in the rocks. I was aired down to 10PSI and given that I think the procomps did pretty well compared to the other tires I saw in use. My lockers performed perfectly and the suspension was OK but I did experience a little hopping on climbs now and then. So .. add long arms to the list.

Another thing I found was that my RE drop trackbar and the extended swaybar link mounts I have .... they make friends under articulation. Well, actually, the stud that the quick disconnect slides onto hits the drop trackbar mount. So, for wheeling, I removed the stud as well and all was good.

OK Ok .... here are the pics:
http://www.noeither.com/TJ/pictures/...3-26/3-261.htm

Some highlights included this crack.

Not because of the crack itself, but because I started dumping diff fluid out the top of the rear axle. Apparently the rear hard line bracket bolts did not make their way back into the axle after I had the rear shock tabs moved. Oops.

This little dump and bump was fun. Don't fall backwards.

Well ... they certainly flex ...

Fun little double dump and bump...

On day 2, we had a little accident. one of the AWOL guys did a little 270 roll with a twist. i was amazed at how little damage he had after the roll ... and it put getting a cage at the top of my list of things to do.

Anyway,
The scenery and weather were awesome for both days. if you have never been out to Llano for this event, I highly recommend it.

I also added a few videos to my website if you want to check them out....
My Videos

Here is a sample... (yes, I am a slow and steady driver)

98 XJ

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 04-08-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

As stated in my previous post, my rear end started making noise again on the trip out to Llano. So, as soon as I got back, I had it flushed and check out by the guys that did the initial install.

The fluid looked good and everything was in spec but they agreed that the noise was not normal. They ran a pattern and the coast side of the gears looked ... not terrible but not perfect. We also saw an odd wear mark on the face of the ring gear in a spot where nothing should be contacting it, unless there is something jammed in the pinion.

So, I have an appointment to bring it back and they are going to tear it apart and check everything when they do my cage in early May.

In the interim ... I scored some half doors off of craigslist. They need locks, paint and I wish the panels were black ... but they were dirt cheap.

I also ordered some steel Under Cover Fab skids on Monday. I decided to go with the no body lift transfer case skid (1/4"), the engine skid and the lopro trans mount. With the automatic I know I may have some issues with the pan hitting the front of the skid but with some liberal grinding and moving of some holes I am hoping it all works fine. It should only raise the t-case output 1/2" but I'll take measurements to see exactly what happens. IF I do get any vibes I'll just slap in some washers to shim the skid down until I get around to doing the rear stretch and long arms ... which is my next big project after the cage.

98 XJ

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 04-07-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #27
Hurley91

It looks like it is coming along really nice. And I am the same way when I am wheeling, I prefer to go slow rather than peddle to the metal... unless I am in doubt, then you must throttle out
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #28
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Nice build! Subscribed and crawled.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #29
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
Nice build! Subscribed and crawled.
Thanks.

Since you mentioned it ...
What is the deal with thread crawling? What does that do? I clicked the link to crawl this thread as an experiment but I didn't see anything happen. Not sure if I am supposed to though.

98 XJ
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #30
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

A I mentioned earlier,
I ordered some skids from Under Cover fab.
They look like quality pieces and the prices are silly low.

I decided to go with the "no body lift" skid and engine skid with the Lopro mount.
Since mine is an auto, I may have to do some tweaking of it to get the skid under the trans but we'll see what happens. Should just be some grinding and drilling new holes. Matt said he'd pop the holes for me so it may be just some grinding.

Overall, it should only raise the TC 1/2" per the chart Matt posted so I am hoping to get away with no BL, no MML ... and no vibes.

However, I do think I may be adding a very small BL when I do my stretch.

98 XJ

Last edited by LOCKED UP; 04-08-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Tags
4.0 , auto , brakes , lift , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.