Lo2aY's Chinook TJ - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Lo2aY's Chinook TJ

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 12-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #226
NJLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It won't necessarily be a hole, it just that there needs to be some space between the ends of the pressed in axle tubes and the carrier (inside, not draining out). Most Dana 30's I've done are fine without it. Do you want me to see if I can get a picture of mine? If I can see it without pulling the carrier or bearing caps

NJLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #227
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLJ View Post
It won't necessarily be a hole, it just that there needs to be some space between the ends of the pressed in axle tubes and the carrier (inside, not draining out). Most Dana 30's I've done are fine without it. Do you want me to see if I can get a picture of mine? If I can see it without pulling the carrier or bearing caps
I think i get what you're saying. I would definitely appreciate some pics.

Thanks budd

LJ Build thread - Spider

TJ Build thread - Chinook

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Brute Build thread (soon)
Quote:
This hobby is not about who can shop the best, it's about creating things that did not exist before. It's about giving a machine a soul and making it an extention of your persona.

There is always someone who can spend more than you can. Don't measure your self worth against others. You can create, you can be fast and you can fail. It's all part of life.
Lo2aY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #228
NJLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool. I won't be able to open the axle up until after Christmas. Wanna shoot me a PM in a few days? I don't want to ruin your build thread.
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #229
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool. I won't be able to open the axle up until after Christmas. Wanna shoot me a PM in a few days? I don't want to ruin your build thread.
No worries, I think someone could benefit from this info, as I came back with no search results.

I kinda guessed where it needs to be and what would make sense. I gambled and here is where I drilled the holes.

passenger side

Driver side

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:
This hobby is not about who can shop the best, it's about creating things that did not exist before. It's about giving a machine a soul and making it an extention of your persona.

There is always someone who can spend more than you can. Don't measure your self worth against others. You can create, you can be fast and you can fail. It's all part of life.
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #230
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So, I'm in the middle of reassembling the front axle with new gears. This dana 30 uses a crush sleeve on the pinion. Anyone know whats the best way to crush the sleeve. Is there a specific tool to hold the Yoke in place? I broke a bracket that held the Yoke just to try get the damn crush sleeve to compress. still need to go a little further.

Tried google. we both started scratching our heads

The axle is getting setup on Jack stands, I now understand why it's better to leave it under the vehicle. I just don't have enough space

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Unread 01-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #231
NJLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry I haven't gotten you the picture of a drain hole in a Dana 30 yet. Crush sleeve isn't needed, that's more for race cars. You can shim the pinion and torque to spec.
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #232
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No worries,

check out the pics I posted. is that what you were referring to?

also, I can't shim the pinion. it doesn't have a seat for the shims. I think the factory Jeep Sleeve would probably be easier to crush. I'm hitting the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get one. I tried to crush the Yukon one, and reached 400ft/lb I stripped the nut and probably will need to fix the teeth on the pinion. So much for straight forward installation

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Unread 01-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #233
NJLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your picture looks like what I was talking about. What brand of gears are you putting in? Can you post a picture of the pinion? What about master install kit, brand?
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #234
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your picture looks like what I was talking about. What brand of gears are you putting in? Can you post a picture of the pinion? What about master install kit, brand?
I'm using Yukon gears and their master kit. I'll try to get a picture up of the new pinion. If the teeth on the pinion got a little damaged, is it ok to fix them? worried after putting that much torque on the mock-up nut

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Unread 01-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #235
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo2aY View Post
I'm using Yukon gears and their master kit. I'll try to get a picture up of the new pinion. If the teeth on the pinion got a little damaged, is it ok to fix them? worried after putting that much torque on the mock-up nut
Lo2aY ... if the crush sleeve did not crush I doubt the pinion teeth got damaged. Or you mean probably the threads on the pinion? repairable, see last link

here some interesting read:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ew-ds-1453242/

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...orque-spec-D30

and although 400 footpound seem high here is another read re D30 crush sleeve crush:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cr...mpact-1154054/
this is interesting too:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-...tml#post316234
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #236
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
Lo2aY ... if the crush sleeve did not crush I doubt the pinion teeth got damaged. Or you mean probably the threads on the pinion? repairable, see last link

here some interesting read:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ew-ds-1453242/

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...orque-spec-D30

and although 400 footpound seem high here is another read re D30 crush sleeve crush:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cr...mpact-1154054/
this is interesting too:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-...tml#post316234

Thanks for the links. I think I'm going to try and get a factory crush sleeve from Jeep or Spicer and try to crush it. Very difficultly job on jack stands.

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Unread 01-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #237
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard of people start to crush the sleeve in a vice to get the process started so the big initial crush isn't as much pressure, then install it and finish it in the axle.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #238
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's an interesting thought. I'm actually going to try that since i have an extra spare. Thanks budd

Now the hunt starts for a new pinion nut. Not easy to find one in my neck of the woods.

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Unread 01-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #239
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

J8

The J8 has been seeing some attention.

I'm taking care of some small issues. and upgraded to the following:

Gobi stealth rack double ladder system
Rigid 50" E-combo
ARB Tent (moved from Spider LJ)
ARB awning (not installed yet)
Race radio
CB radio

LJ Build thread - Spider

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Quote:

Unread 01-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #240
theCREECH
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that's awesome! love the expedition feel of that thing. Really cool.

Were you stuck in the sand or pushing through? I'm getting ready to buy a Gobi Rack, can't decide if I want a stealth rack or the other one.
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.