LJ "Wolfy" Build! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > LJ "Wolfy" Build!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

LJ "Wolfy" Build!

Hey guys! Lets start with a little background about my Jeep. Its a 2006 LJ thats been in the family since brand new. My parents bought it off the lot after trading in a PT Cruiser (yeah I know). Dad drove it for about 5 years than sold it to me. My dad never took it wheelin due to the fact it was his DD so if something broke, there was no way he'd be able to get to work. Now its mine so I wheel it whenever I can! I found myself amazed what it could do stock with balding 30" factory tires. The name wolfy actually came about with CB radio lingo. My buddy named his Blazer "Hank", I named my buddy's Ram "The Beast" and mine was "Black Wolf". My girlfriend started calling the Jeep Wolfy and its just stuck. Since I bought it in February 2011 I've done the following:
regular maintenace (spark plugs, trans fluid, diffs, oil)
Skid Row engine skid
Spidertrax wheel spacers
2" Teraflex BB
33" KM2's
Spintech muffler (same muffler in full traction kit)
ripped out front carpets
painted fenders/front bumper/head light bezels
trimmed front bumper
tinted side markers and windows (15% I dont recommend going this dark)
KC 130w Daylighters mounted up on Windshield

What I have planned for the next few months:
-Painting:
-re-paint fenders (messed up during wax/polish)
-behind rear bumper (address rust)
-rear bumper
-side steps
-door handles (address rust)
-Lights:
-flush LED circular tail lights
-mount a set of reverse lights to a switch and another one/pair to fac. harness
-Rust:
-touch up rust from wheelin (scrapes and such)
-address rust between belly pan and frame (pretty bad)
-Monstaline interior
-Hook up tranny cooler
-Trim fenders
-Save up for 4.56 regear

On the Christmas/Bday list:
-Old Man Emu steering stabilizer
-Power steering box skid from MOPAR
-Tail gate reinforcement (I think its Exogate)
-STINGER
-MONEY
-possible mods:
-CB radio kit
-use money to take care of "To-Do" list and save up for re-gear

PICS to follow

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Work begins on the dreaded skid plate. What we thought to be an hour job turned into 3 hours of running house to house to find the right tools. Lesson learned: plan out what you do before hand and make sure your tools are at the ready

Skid Plate installed!

First wheelin trip!
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Moose340
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice!
Moose340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Installing SpiderTrax wheel spacers (thinkin ahead for those 33's on stock rims

First time out with spacers! Jeep on right is my buddy Lou's. 04 LJ D60's, ARB lockers, Atlast t-case, 35's, 6"s of lift (long arm system with body lift), bumpers, winch, I'm sur im forgetting something! This thing went over anything and everything! I'd like to thank Lou for wheelin with us for as much as he did before he moved. He's a great guy and really taught us a lot!

Me and Lou from the rear

Aftermath!
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Special Delivery!!! 33x12.5x15 KM2's

Lets compare to stock hides

Starting on BB.. another one of those "oh yeah should take 2 hours tops" jobs

Finished rear.....3 hours in
I dont have completely finished pics with stock tires. Maybe my buddy does. The whole job took around 6.5 hours because of lack of tools. If i had a coil spring compressor it would've taken the 2-3 hours we planned. We ended up taking both sway bars off and hopping on the hubs to get the springs out. Putting them back in was another story.

Finally looking decent!
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Recent wheelin pics:

I think thats ready for a Jeep catalog or something. Just get a catchy slogan!

Poser, baby rock

Log lodged under tire....idk haha

Out in the Brush

Discoed on these two! I was amazed with the flex!

Thats me...yikes!
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
04GC
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome, I hope to get my 3 inch lift and 33s on in a few months. Hows it drive now? I can decide if I want to go with a 33.12.5 or 33.10.5 km2.. do they rub or anything?
04GC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My lil project last night:

painted my KC Light covers with Krylon Fusion...I think they turned out pretty good.

tommorrow my buddy will hit me up with some new pics so I'll post them up. Hopefully within the next few weeks I can knock some stuff off that To-Do list.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tires/lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GC View Post
Awesome, I hope to get my 3 inch lift and 33s on in a few months. Hows it drive now? I can decide if I want to go with a 33.12.5 or 33.10.5 km2.. do they rub or anything?
Hey man, I too planned on doing a 3" lift but on a High Schoolers salary I decided to do the BB after seeing a JK with a BB on 35's. It was motivational lol. Now I'm really into the LCOG Jeeps and keeping my COG low. I like that idea. At full flex the tires DO rub on the fenders. IMO nothing to worry about. I plan on trimming about an 1" off the fenders within the next couple weeks to help with this problem, though I don't think its needed. I'm doing it more for appearance. As for the Tires, I love them. The road noise isn't too bad at all! The 12.5 will eat your gas mileage a bit but thats to be expected. Right now I'm not too happy with my gearing. Auto trans (42rle) and 3.73 gears are not as bad as people on here say they are but definately are a hinderance. 4.56 are in the future
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
04GC
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I hear that, I'm doing 3 inches and anything else needed for Clarence will be with flat fenders or something ..yeah I'm auto too and once the lift and tires are on the saving for the gears is next.. how are the km2s on wet roads? I ran mudders on my XJ for years so I'm no stranger to that. Seeing yours makes me excited to get going on mine :-) so what kind of mileage are you getting now?
04GC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice LJ!

Building on a highschool budget is difficult, but it can be done. Ask me how I know.

If you are going to be regearing your axles you should go ahead and start looking for a XJ HP Dana 30. Don't waste the money regearing your stock LP dana 30 when you can have a much better axle for a small investment (most HP30s can be found for around $125). They are a direct bolt on replacement for your stock front axle, they just need to be regeared to match the rear axle, which you plan on doing anyways.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Off to a great start! Love the name, too (give you 3 guesses why).
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
mynameislarry
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice to see you have a build thread going now! I agree with jankoid about the hp d30. Everything from a lp d30 will swap over other than the ring and pinion. From what i hear they are only 10% weaker than a rubi d44. If you go this route make sure its a non disconnect housing. Im planning on swapping one in after a 8.8 swap. There are people that run 37's on hp d30's!!
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tires/Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GC View Post
I hear that, I'm doing 3 inches and anything else needed for Clarence will be with flat fenders or something ..yeah I'm auto too and once the lift and tires are on the saving for the gears is next.. how are the km2s on wet roads? I ran mudders on my XJ for years so I'm no stranger to that. Seeing yours makes me excited to get going on mine :-) so what kind of mileage are you getting now?
KM2's on wet roads hook up better than my stock GSA's. This is definately due to the gearing though. Stock I could literally powerslide around turns. Now they dont spin. I find myself hyrdoplaning a bit more though. Mileage isn't that bad. Like everyone else says "It's a Jeep". It doesn't really bother me I just go to school and back usually with trips to the rink (20-30mins away) about 3 times a week.
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Nice LJ!

Building on a highschool budget is difficult, but it can be done. Ask me how I know.

If you are going to be regearing your axles you should go ahead and start looking for a XJ HP Dana 30. Don't waste the money regearing your stock LP dana 30 when you can have a much better axle for a small investment (most HP30s can be found for around $125). They are a direct bolt on replacement for your stock front axle, they just need to be regeared to match the rear axle, which you plan on doing anyways.
This caught my attention! What exactly is so great about the axle? I was thinking about just keeping my D30 until my final stage (D60's on 37's) or swap axle shafts if i get 35's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.