LJ Rubicon Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > LJ Rubicon Build

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Rubicon Build

Picked up this '06 LJ with 98k about 2 months ago when I traded in my '01 TJ.

I didn't want to give up my TJ but it had some very nasty frame rot and when I came across the LJ rubicon with one owner in bone stock condition with no signs of off road use I knew I had to jump on it.

Since this is a budget build I've been very focused on buying parts when I can get a good deal. I have a pretty good running total of parts I've bought and sold for this LJ to try and keep me in line without going over board. I want to prove that you can run quality items on a Jeep with a little bit of patience and hard work without breaking the bank

LJ budget and project list

Photo albums of our trail runs:
North Shore Jeeps

05-2013 North Shore Jeeps - MaBell
06-2013 North Shore Jeeps - Warner, NH
08-2013 North Shore Jeeps - Monadnock
10-2013 North Shore Jeeps - Old Florida Road
05-2014 North Shore Jeeps - MaBell
06-2014 North Shore Jeeps - Warner, NH

As it sits now October 2013

Drivetrain
- I6
- NV241
- 4.10 gears
- Savvy shifter
- 42RLE

Suspension
- BDS 3" suspension lift
- JKS 1.25" body lift
- Brown Dog 1" motor mount lift
- JKS quick disconnects
- V8 ZJ tie rod
- YJ brake lines
- Currie front control arms
- Currie rear upper control arms (waiting to install)
- Currie double adjustable lower rear control arms (waiting to install)
- Currie currectlync (waiting to install)
- Metalcloak front track bar
- JKS rear track bar

Armor
- Smittybilt xrc stinger
- Body Armor rear bumper
- MCE Gen II fenders
- Smittybilt rear fenders
- Warn front diff skid
- Rokmen steering skid
- UCF engine/trans skid
- UCF ultra high clearance t-case skid (currently dropped 1.25" inch)
- Currie D44 control arm skids (waiting to install)

Misc
- Hella 500 windshield lights
- Gemini Doctor LED flood lights
- Firestik CB antenna
- Bestop bikini top

Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been slowly picking up parts over the winter and hording them in my basement. The first thing I did was buy a 1" seat riser kit from Buchanan Precision. Going from a TJ to an LJ I was shocked at how low the seat was...the kit from Randy fixed everything and makes it a much better driver

I found a guy parting out his lightly used BDS 3" lift with all the components for a good price

Also snagged a JKS rear trackbar, rokmen steering skid, some hella 500's w/ windshield brackets

Found this smittybilt src stinger w/ d-rings for $100 - I know smittybilt doesn't get a great rep around this forum but this bumper is beefy and the powder coating seems alright

I picked up a pair of MCE Gen II's when I had my TJ because the fenders were rusted through, never had a chance to put them on and not sure if I want to cut up the LJ yet - so I might keep them in the basement until I get serious about running 35's

Everything should be going on next weekend
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Since the previous owner was an older guy and never beat on the jeep I figured it would be maintained wel. I picked it up and it ran great for the first month or so but ever since I've had a ton of small issues.

I had to replace the stock plugs when cyl 2 wasn't firing and there were misfires in other cylinders. The throttle body was disgusting, so I gave it a thorough cleaning and also ordered a new TPS to help with a rough idle. Shortly after that I got another CEL for an o2 sensor so that was replaced as well.
The battery was also on its last legs so I gave it a new Diehard Platinum P4 which was a good hit to the wallet for a battery, but I plan on running a winch soon so I figure it was a smart investment.

Anyone have an idea on what the front receiver was used for? Dealership said it wasn't towed..so does that mean it's a winch or small plow receiver?
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know about the front hitch but you have a nice pile of parts there! When do you plan on installing them?
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! I'll be installing everything this weekend as well as changing diff fluids, t-case and flushing tranny. The 42rle has been slipping all winter and I'm positive the other fluids have all been neglected since the factory warranty ended. Have you had any issues with your 42rle? How does yours perform with 33's 2"/1" lift?

I can't wait to get my BL/MML and tummy tuck, I'd imagine you're in the same boat.
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

No real problems with the tranny. Last month, just after start-up, it started slipping a little then after it warmed I couldn't notice it anymore. This happened for about a week so I did a complete flush on it and it hasn't happened since. I guess I'm lucky because I haven't had any issues like some on the board have had.

Yep, the boat is getting real crowded! I've had the 33" MTR's for almost a year now. I am really liking them! I've had TSL's on my other jeep for about 12yrs and thought nothing could be better. I was wrong . These suckers work great in the rocks and are awesome on the street. I air down to about 8lbs and haven't busted a bead yet (knock on wood) and they just bite, bite like crazy! I put 500 interstate miles a week on them and they are just real comfortable, not too loud and handle really nice. We had 14" of snow Christmas day, in Arkansas that's a heck of a lot of snow, and for three days I made it to work and then would spend the day driving all over Little Rock picking associates up and bring them into the office and taking them home. I had a blast!

I really like the BL / MML. It really raises the rockers and since I presently don't have any rocker guards, every 1 1/4"'s counts. Just ask my wife
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It would be tough for me not to install the MCE flares as I love how they look on a LJ/TJ . You have a heck of a parts collection , it should make for a huge change after its all installed .
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
It would be tough for me not to install the MCE flares as I love how they look on a LJ/TJ . You have a heck of a parts collection , it should make for a huge change after its all installed .
Thanks man I just went through almost all of your build, love the savvy armor I can't wait to get rid of my shovel

You might be the inspiration for me to pull the trigger on the install of the MCE's. I also bought blemished ones, although like you I couldn't see any issue with them except they were a little lighter on the wallet. They look awesome with your sliders.
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lift installation has been put on hold...not going to drive 200+ miles round trip with this..

Unread 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Thanks man I just went through almost all of your build, love the savvy armor I can't wait to get rid of my shovel

You might be the inspiration for me to pull the trigger on the install of the MCE's. I also bought blemished ones, although like you I couldn't see any issue with them except they were a little lighter on the wallet. They look awesome with your sliders.
The Savvy underarmor is worth every penny I spent on it . I hardly ever hit the center section anymore . What swayed me to the UA was the cross member . I like being able to pull off the wings and I can get to the driveshaft , t case or exhaust . If I pull the center I can get to everything and still drive it .
The blem MCEs were a great deal , and thanks for the kind words I am happy with how they came out .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Lift installation has been put on hold...not going to drive 200+ miles round trip with this..
Attachment 569923
Attachment 569924

Now I have to figure out how to proceed with Chrysler...
Are you still under warranty ? If not it looks like Stripperguy has a nice solution to the OPDA .
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Are you still under warranty ? If not it looks like Stripperguy has a nice solution to the OPDA .
Not under warranty, close to 100k and being the second owner.

I have a friend at the service department of the local jeep dealer, hoping I can get some answers from him about possible refunding...but I'm not holding my breath. I would be interested to know if the PO had replaced it before or if the factory OPDA lasted this long

I'm really just hoping the cam gear isn't worn down like the OPDA gear is, I couldn't get a good look when I pulled it yesterday because there wasn't much light.

Rock auto has Dorman OPDA's for $180 so I snagged one of those units and had it sent overnight. I plan on keeping the worn OPDA, replacing the gear and then doing the SG mod so I can keep the second one as a backup in case the Dorman fails or I need to replace the cam
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Finally made some progress this weekend and finished the lift

Rear in progress

Rear done

Working on the front

Front done

All done..needs tires though

Rokmen steering skid...next thing up is replacing that toothpick thin OEM tie rod
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Installed the tires today, looks much better

Think it needs an alignment after the lift??
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I know its probably an optical delusion , but the toe looks odd on the front ?

The lift looks great , what did you decide on for steering ?
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It is toedddddd out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.