LJ Rubicon AKA "The Wombat" - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
JeepingNet
2005 TJ Wrangler 

LJ Rubicon AKA "The Wombat"

Introduction: Owning and maintaining Jeeps has been a long term hobby/lifestyle of mine since I was 16 (1996). My past projects:
1984 CJ
1988 YJ - http://www.jeeping.net/wp-content/up...016/01/8-1.jpg
1998 TJ - http://www.jeeping.net/wp-content/up...2016/01/j2.jpg
2005 TJ Rubicon - http://jeeping.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/j7.jpg
2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited - http://jeeping.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/j1-1.jpg
2012 WK Overland - http://www.jeeping.net/photo/var/alb...G?m=1498090567
2007 WK Limited - http://www.jeeping.net/photo/var/alb...g?m=1498090818

New project: Iíve wanted an LJ Rubicon since they were announced back in 2003 but the cost of them have always kept me away. But at the end of 2016 I decided it was my goal in 2017 to find one. After a few failed attempts at finding a Jeep (rusted, too damaged, too slow) I was contacted by someone I knew in the Jeep Community who bought a project LJ Rubicon the year before and it has been sitting since then. I asked a price and it sounded reasonable so I pulled the trigger.

Project Goal:
I like building projects in phases (Iím a Project Manager by trade) since it makes sure I focus on the important stuff first and donít just throw on big coils and tires and call it done. (Yes I have a Kanbana board for my jeep build..)

Phase 1 Goals:
Get the Jeep back on the road and onto the trail (Tail type easy to medium)
Slow down the aging process - rust repair
Keep it as low as possible
Keep a budget below 3k
Have it done by September

Long term I want this Jeep on 36 Iroks, lower COG, tough but light and some comforts for overnight trips but I know realistically that isnít happening tomorrow.

Stock:
Jeep LJ Rubicon - 6 Speed. 100% stock nothing has been touched including a ton of maintenance.

Intro to LJ Project: https://youtu.be/x44j1yrQv-Y

Latest Status:
Reserved for updating currently status and photo (coming soon)

Colin Jennings
Trail - 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
Daily - 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Aardemae
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good clean slate to start with! I like where your heads at for your end goals. Excited to watch your progress!
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hi neighbour, small world! Where in NB? Not an LJR, but a 05 LJ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
JeepingNet
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Hi neighbour, small world! Where in NB? Not an LJR, but a 05 LJ.

I'm just down in Saint John! Are a member of any of the clubs? I mostly hang out with the Area 62 crew. I used to work on National4wd years and years ago in Freddy.

FYI if you ever see an LJ soft top let me know!

Colin Jennings
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
JeepingNet
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We got her running! It took almost 2 months and around 50 hours.

The symptoms:
  • When you turn the key nothing happens, no fuel pump, no spark and no starter
  • 3 different OBD2 readers wouldnít connect
  • Engine Gauge is on
  • SKIS Light is on
  • When I perform the self-diagnostics on the dash I get the following errors: Bus B0 (MIL Light), Bus B1 (SKIS) and Open Dash.

I thought it could be related to the SKIM key but according to the FSM if the SKIM key is bad the starter should still spin. Next thought was bad a PCM but I decided to troubleshoot rather than throwing parts at it.

Problem solving steps
  • All fuses tested correctly
  • Starter is getting power when ignition is turned on so not a bad ignition switch
  • Starter is NOT getting ground from PCM -- Problem
  • Clutch Safety tested ok
  • Starter will crank engine if I jump the relay
  • Battery tested correct and shows correct voltage
  • Fuel pump gets power but no ground from PCM -- Problem
  • PCM is getting power to pin 1 and all grounds looking correct when testing the wiring harness
  • CPS, CKS, TPS are only showing 1-2 volts but sensors themselves test correctly -- Problem

Then it happened I tried jumping the ASD relay and the Jeep magically comes to life. This made no sense at all. CPS, CKS and TPS are now showing 5v. The only thing that makes sense is a bad PCM and somehow jumping the ASD is back-powering a short in the PCM. So I went searching for a PCM which took 3 weeks. However, after installing the new PCM I still had all the same issues.

I went back to basics and started tracing power again. Suddenly I have 11.4 volts at pin 1 on the PCM. I previously had 12.1v and figured the .3 voltage drop couldnít be the problem. Jump the ASD and I have 12.4. Disconnect ASD and Iím back to 11.9 volts. Wiggle the wiring harness with a voltage meter connected and I see the voltage jumping all over the place.

Another hour of tracing wires and I found it... A corroded wire where it looks like someone pierced the wire to test voltage. So 50 hours of work, $300 for a PCM (at least I have a spare now) and all it was a $2 5 minute fix.

Feels great but also frustrated because checking the power at pin 1 was something I did on day 2 and made the stupid mistake of assuming it was ok at 12.1v.

Next steps undoing years of lack of maintenance.

Colin Jennings
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM
kvesi122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good luck on your journey and thank you for saving another LJ!
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 AM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingNet View Post
I'm just down in Saint John! Are a member of any of the clubs? I mostly hang out with the Area 62 crew. I used to work on National4wd years and years ago in Freddy.

FYI if you ever see an LJ soft top let me know!
Nah was way back when but not anymore. I'm actually in Moncton, frequent Quispamsis have a buddy down there also a Jeep guy.

Yah if I see anything I'll let ya know, however LJ specific parts are scarce around here. Might have some luck in NS but even then!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.