LJ named Dixie - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > LJ named Dixie

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150
You could get some Toyo AT in 255/85R16 they are some great tires. Nice LJ I never go to Bella Vista but if I do I will be sure to wave.
Appreciate the advice. I love the Toyos on my truck and I have looked at the ATs. I actually ordered the Nittos last night. Should be in sometime tomorrow

Unread 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So I'm thinking ahead to February when I'm going to get bumpers and a little side protection. Are the body mounted rails (Poison Spider or Rokmen) strong enough to use as steps? Will they warp the tub after using as a step?
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have Rokmen sliders and I can lift my rig from them and theres no deflection . The way they mount makes for a very solid connection .
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rokmen sliders can handle some weight. When we installed mine my buddy and I stood on the tube and jumped up and down. We weigh about 515 pounds total.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I appreciate it. I was looking at the Drop Kick Sliders because they are frame mounted, but if Rokmen has a solid mount then that may be the way to go. I like the looks of them a lot more just wasn't sure how rigid they were.

In other news, we had a fight tonite. About an hour long argument over wether or not she wants her passenger-side control arm back on. Like most fights with women, she pretty much won. Gonna gather a little evidence (and a pneumatic ram to push the axel forward) and go for round 2 tomorrow night. This is how's she sleeps til then.

image-3612009719.jpg

image-2836291447.jpg
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #21
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got back at it tonite. Finally convinced her to put that lower control arm back on. She wasn't going for it last night, but after I showed her the 4ft "persuasion bar" the rest of the install went like a charm.

image-2626261650.jpg

image-2939826436.jpg

Got to drive her for the first time since Sunday... up the driveway and backed into the garage. Started on the tail end, but called it after a hopeless search for my die grinder to cut the new swaybar links to the correct size. Got a couple friends coming over tomorrow to finish up the rear and hopefully install the BL. Then it's alignment, minor painting, tires, and add-ons for Sunday. Here's how she sits tonight.

image-3641542588.jpg

image-1464891849.jpg

Y'all be careful out there!
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good man! I remember trying to get links to line up, pain in the butt! I've used my winch more than once to pull on the axle, haha.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #23
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm
Looking good man! I remember trying to get links to line up, pain in the butt! I've used my winch more than once to pull on the axle, haha.
Thanks bud. Yeah, the wife felt good about it cause she got to hold the arm up and slide the bolt in. Now she's telling people that she installed the lift (as a joke).

Anyway, this is the first day I have felt good as I woke up so maybe this cold is passing and I can get back to my normal life (hunting, fishing, Jeep, and gym)
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got quite a bit done today. My help didn't make it out to the house today so the body lift won't go on til tomorrow night. I'm honestly dreading it more than the suspension. It just seems like lining up the bolts and doing the motor mount is gonna be a pain.

Luckily the boys aren't coming over until later in the day tomorrow, so I'll get to run a few errands in the Jeep. Here's how she sits tonight after finishing up the tail-end and an alignment.

image-1425984000.jpg

image-507438796.jpg

And finally, here she is with the new tires. 285/75-16.

image-530226166.jpg

image-729249612.jpg

image-3178840413.jpg
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats a good looking stance with the 285s . Dont worry so much about the body lift . I installed mine by myself and it only took a couple of hours . Watch the Rokmen video on youtube and take your time . The worst part of the body lift is getting the grill snubbers in , the rest is pretty easy if your rig isnt too nasty underneath .
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #26
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Thats a good looking stance with the 285s . Dont worry so much about the body lift . I installed mine by myself and it only took a couple of hours . Watch the Rokmen video on youtube and take your time . The worst part of the body lift is getting the grill snubbers in , the rest is pretty easy if your rig isnt too nasty underneath .
I appreciate it. Funny, I actually watched the Rokmen videos a couple hours ago! The Internet is awesome when it comes to that stuff. It also helps when you buy products from quality vendors cause they are usually the companies with the videos available.

BTW, I meant to tell you "A big THANK YOU" for your detailed build thread. The step by step on your suspension lift is one thing that eased my mind while waiting on my parts to come in.

As for my rig's hygiene, its dang near perfect. I don't think this thing's ever seen a dirtroad, much less mud. The previous owner had a row bar on the front of it. I'm pretty sure it was hauled around behind an RV for it's whole life. The only problem with that is the paint. There are a lot of places were the tow vehicle threw pebbles back and chipped the paint. Some have surface rust already. I even had to use needle nose to remove pebbles from the vent up by the windshield!
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
WhistlinDixie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got a some better pics in the light. Took her for a drive this morning. Put about 70 miles on. Her so that I can go ahead and re-torque everything for the first time. Enjoy the day!

image-2005394819.jpg

image-746378018.jpg

image-2548732655.jpg
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlinDixie View Post
I appreciate it. Funny, I actually watched the Rokmen videos a couple hours ago! The Internet is awesome when it comes to that stuff. It also helps when you buy products from quality vendors cause they are usually the companies with the videos available.
I agree the info that is out there is almost overwhelming . If you take your time you can almost learn to do anything .
Quote:
BTW, I meant to tell you "A big THANK YOU" for your detailed build thread. The step by step on your suspension lift is one thing that eased my mind while waiting on my parts to come in.
No worries , I am glad it helped . In retrospect I wish I had put in more info like torque specs and things of that sort .
Quote:
As for my rig's hygiene, its dang near perfect. I don't think this thing's ever seen a dirtroad, much less mud. The previous owner had a row bar on the front of it. I'm pretty sure it was hauled around behind an RV for it's whole life. The only problem with that is the paint. There are a lot of places were the tow vehicle threw pebbles back and chipped the paint. Some have surface rust already. I even had to use needle nose to remove pebbles from the vent up by the windshield!
Get some touch up paint on your chips sooner than later . Rust never sleeps !
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #29
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The LJ is looking good. One thing I will throw out there for you to think about...

I have the PSC rockers on my LJ. They are not made for use with a body lift. I knew this going into it. I had to trim the body pucks for the rockers to sit on the tub where they are supposed to. In the end everything is lined up and secure, no worries with the tub bending from use. Again I knew this going in and was prepared.

If you decide on body mounted rockers, be sure to ask whomever you decide to go with if they make a version for body lifts to save you the trouble.
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My Rokmen sliders fit with the body lift , no modifications required .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.