LJ Build-Up - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 Old 12-26-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
fsts2k
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Build-Up

All,

It looks like I will be picking up a new to me 2005 LJ on Saturday. It has about 90K miles (4.0, manual, bla bla bla)and is totally stock. I am looking to change that last part as I attempt to recreate parts of my old TJ; see here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f323/.../#post14052084

Sadly that one seems to be gone forever but like the bionic man, this one can be build as well if not better. That said, and it always seems to come down to this, I am struggling with the foundational components. Here is what I "think" I am going to add:
- WARN Rockcrawler front and rear bumper with tire carrier
- 33x12.5 BFG KM2 (note next bullet)
- Thinking of going with the 15" steel Cragar rims like before but I do like the AEV 17" Pintler rims. My concern is that I am not sure I want to bash in a $200 rim when I can destroy a three $60 rims for the same price.
- Silly KC lights just like before
- Winch... type and model is TBD, might pick up a used one or that new Warn looks pretty sweet
- Hardtop... probably pick up a fastback since the price of used LJ tops are the same as a new Razorback top
- Lift... ugh

I always get caught on the lift and have been looking for a while. Basically I think I like the option of a 2.5" suspension with a 1" body since that is what appears to be suggested often. That said, I have found these options which appears OK but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I want one or the other:
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/
http://www.rocky-road.com/tj-lift.html

In addition, none of the options above seem to fit with the 2.5" lift with 1" BL that I thought I wanted... ugh

I will also get a high steer kit and it would appear I need to get the SYE and a new drive shaft... that said, I am less interested in buying all kinds of pieces, would rather get an inclusive kit and/or call a vendor, give them my list of parts, and wait for the big brown truck before buying three cases of beer and locking the garage door until the new version comes out.

Regarding the question I know I will get, here is my usage pattern. 75% highway and city driving... yes it will be a poser mobile part of the time. 25% trail driving at places like "The Cliffs" in IL, "Badlands" in IN, and probably a trip a year to MOAB or somewhere down south for a week of camping and trail driving. It will be my winter car and a periodic summer car. The old TJ road rough... I was ok with it. Will probably consider gears and lockers next, the old TJ didn't have them and 5th was not great but was tolerable.... will probably suffer for a bit.

Money is not going to be the sole decision factor but I don't want to spend stupidly. I am decent with cars, have air tools, a friend that actually knows what he is doing, and have put on lifts before so I am comfortable most of the work myself.

What I am looking for are a few thoughts if I am going the right direction and/or if I am making the wrong decision. I struggle with vendors saying OME is the best or this or that is better... Have read a ton on this forum over past few months and feel like I know enough to be dangerous. That said, it is always better to know the entire system before making decision, hoping the above helps with the guidance on that.

Any thoughts or flames are welcomed, appreciate your thoughts

Kevin

Last edited by fsts2k; 12-26-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: pressed enter too fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 PM
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsts2k View Post
- WARN Rockcrawler front and rear bumper with tire carrier
Nice solid bumpers .
Quote:
- 33x12.5 BFG KM2 (note next bullet)
Great tires , I am leaning towards a set of them myself .
Quote:
- Thinking of going with the 15" steel Cragar rims like before but I do like the AEV 17" Pintler rims. My concern is that I am not sure I want to bash in a $200 rim when I can destroy a three $60 rims for the same price.
The pintlers are awesome , but for that price what about bead locks?
Quote:
- Silly KC lights just like before
To each their own , I am leaning towards the LEDs as they draw so little amperage .
Quote:
- Winch... type and model is TBD, might pick up a used one or that new Warn looks pretty sweet
The new Warns do look pretty trick . Maybe you could do a combo purchase with the bumpers ?
Quote:
- Hardtop... probably pick up a fastback since the price of used LJ tops are the same as a new Razorback top
I keep searching Search Tempest hoping to find one , but my soft top keeps me warm and dry .
Quote:
- Lift

I always get caught on the lift and have been looking for a while. Basically I think I like the option of a 2.5" suspension with a 1" body since that is what appears to be suggested often. That said, I have found these options which appears OK but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I want one or the other:
The super ultimate comes with all new control arms . I run this lift and I have no complaints with it after two years and 20k miles .
This is the same lift as above but without new control arms .
Quote:
Good luck getting this lift in any reasonable amount of time .
Quote:
In addition, none of the options above seem to fit with the 2.5" lift with 1" BL that I thought I wanted... ugh
What options do you want ? If you want to run 33s , the 2.5" lift with 1.25" body lift will clear 33s great .
Quote:
I will also get a high steer kit and it would appear I need to get the SYE and a new drive shaft... that said, I am less interested in buying all kinds of pieces, would rather get an inclusive kit and/or call a vendor, give them my list of parts, and wait for the big brown truck before buying three cases of beer and locking the garage door until the new version comes out.
Call Dirk at DPG . He will take the time to get what you need . All you have to do is tell him what you want to build and what you want to do with it . He will then get the parts you need out to you . As to high steer I went with the Currie Ultimate Savvy and it works great . Very nice tight steering, that is incredibly strong . If your not going to tummy tuck you probably wont need an SYE .
Quote:
Regarding the question I know I will get, here is my usage pattern. 75% highway and city driving... yes it will be a poser mobile part of the time. 25% trail driving at places like "The Cliffs" in IL, "Badlands" in IN, and probably a trip a year to MOAB or somewhere down south for a week of camping and trail driving. It will be my winter car and a periodic summer car. The old TJ road rough... I was ok with it. Will probably consider gears and lockers next, the old TJ didn't have them and 5th was not great but was tolerable.... will probably suffer for a bit.
You are going to use your rig in a very similar manner to me . Other than going with Savvy Arms (which werent available when I lifted mine) theres not much else I would change . It rides great , and performs equally as well off road .
Quote:
Money is not going to be the sole decision factor but I don't want to spend stupidly. I am decent with cars, have air tools, a friend that actually knows what he is doing, and have put on lifts before so I am comfortable most of the work myself.
The lift isnt that bad to install , start soaking all the bolts with pb blaster now . This will make it much easier when you start tearing it down . I will say buy the lift you want now , it sucks to buy something twice .

Quote:
What I am looking for are a few thoughts if I am going the right direction and/or if I am making the wrong decision. I struggle with vendors saying OME is the best or this or that is better... Have read a ton on this forum over past few months and feel like I know enough to be dangerous. That said, it is always better to know the entire system before making decision, hoping the above helps with the guidance on that.

Any thoughts or flames are welcomed, appreciate your thoughts

Kevin
I tried to answer your questions as best I could , if you have any other questions about the OME lift feel free to ask or pm me if you want

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
post #3 of 116 Old 12-27-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
fsts2k
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, thanks for the help

- LEDs: Will look into those
- Beadlocks: Any suggestions?
- Good call on combo with Warn, going to call a few dealers to see what they will do
- Savy Arms: Would those replace the control arms on that DPG lift?

Will call Dirk tomorrow. I jump on a flight Saturday morning to VA to pick it up, have a nice 10 hour drive to get use to it.

Kevin

post #4 of 116 Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

post #5 of 116 Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the help

- LEDs: Will look into those
- Beadlocks: Any suggestions?
- Good call on combo with Warn, going to call a few dealers to see what they will do
- Savy Arms: Would those replace the control arms on that DPG lift?

Will call Dirk tomorrow. I jump on a flight Saturday morning to VA to pick it up, have a nice 10 hour drive to get use to it.

Kevin
Yes the Savvy Arms would replace the JKS arms . As to beadlocks I run Allieds and they have served me well . No balancing issues and I only have to snug them up once a year .

Where in VA are you going ?

post #6 of 116 Old 12-28-2012, 03:43 PM
aparke4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest the 33x10.50 km2's- litle cheaper and lighter- combine that with a good alloy wheel and staun inner beadlocks= lightweight awesome tire/rim combo!
post #7 of 116 Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
fsts2k
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks, will check out the Allieds and the Monster wheels. Still have a few decisions to make

I fly into Roanoke VA where the seller is picking me up. We will stop by the bank to complete the transaction and then I start the trip home. Actually looking forward to 10 hours of quiet time.

Kevin
post #8 of 116 Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Funny stuff , I am working an hour from Roanoke and I have to drive to Southern IL next week . Have fun with the drive .

post #9 of 116 Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
fsts2k
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Made it last night.. I have forgotten how tiring a soft-top is at 75mph for 11 hours... could have been that I was fighting the flu but I was sure glad to have made it home.

One thing, every time I filled up it would spit fuel back out, as if the auto shut off was not working. This happened at three different stations so it must be the jeep. My 2002 TJ never did this, any thoughts?

Beyond that the Jeep ran fine the entire way (and there is no reason it shouldn't have). It is really dirty on the inside so I will be going over it with a bunch of cleaning stuff but otherwise it is in the condition I expected. Plan to order parts this week as it is not tall enough off the ground and get rid of the steps and bug shield. I expect it to look a lot different in a few weeks...

On another note... I called on a new hardtop; they want 6-8 weeks to send it. Seems like a long time, anyone have a similar experience? This was with Wildboar products

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
post #10 of 116 Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
There's a thread on the gas filler problem; you can either replace the filler hose or the flapper inside it.

Nice looking LJ; but I would second the recommendation for 33x10.50s instead of the wider 12.50s. You save a lot of weight that way, and they really seem to fit (and air down) better.
post #11 of 116 Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 AM
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes I really want to cut my TJ in half and make it an LJ. Sounds like you have a great plan. Not a huge fan of the warn front bumper, but that's just personal preference.

I don't think anyone in my club has managed to kill a Warn winch, however a few others have killed other brands. Love my superwinch also, but I would have gone Warn if I knew it was made in Taiwan.

'99 SE: The "It could be worse..." jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 116 Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I should have an LJ this coming Saturday. I'm stoked. I love my TJ, but i need the wheelbase and interior room.
post #13 of 116 Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 PM
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a TJ on an Nth degree lift. Its not made anymore but the park I really like is the rear stinger. The body seems to always stay level(ish) when I get the suspension all twisted up. I keps my stock wheels but because I am cheap but I'd get cheap steelies that are a little but narrower then the tire to make sure it keeps a bead at low pressure. I have a Warn 9.5 TI and I gotta say its fast and does the work. Im very happy with it. The LJs wheelbase and added interior make it the perfect jeep for what I wanted. I run an ARB front bumper and i forgot what the rear bumper was. The ARB is sturdy has lights and has a great approach angle but its also overprised heavy and huge in my opinion. I'm getting a guy to build me a new front in the next few weeks so the ARB will be coming off soon. When you choose a lift kit spend the money. Do not skimp there. There are less expensive options that will get to the height but they wont have the articulation will be weak and will not have correct geometry which will make for a terrible ride alignment issues and worst of all lateral stability issues. Save your pennys and get the good stuff now.

Friends don't let friends chrome out their rig...
post #14 of 116 Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

PS a tummy tuck and good rock sliders will be your friend.

Friends don't let friends chrome out their rig...
post #15 of 116 Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
fsts2k
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Seriously considering Hutchinson Rock Monster wheels right now but cannot figure out the beadlock part number compared to the specs. They offer three part numbers:
BL0080
BL0082
BL0086

but only have specs for 82 and 86 with tires... cannot figure out what tires run the 80.

Scratch that... found they are different for the size of the bead.. that said. If my goal is 33" tires it might appear these are a bit aggressive and may not be needed. Some reports of a 33" tire may not be large enough to impact the air down. I am also starting to get concerned with the 44lbs weight they seem to come with

Kevin

Last edited by fsts2k; 01-01-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.