Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

LJ on a budget

51K views 238 replies 54 participants last post by  LJTim 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll try to keep a current pic at the start of this thread.
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Car

After 3 seasons of great wheeling and mild building on my 99 XJ, I had the chance to score on a deal I could not refuse on a 2004 TJ Unlimited. I bought it with high miles, but it runs great now, and with he price I got it, I could replace the motor and still be WAY ahead. I loved the Cherokee's low center of gravity and great flex. Our family frequents Moab about 4 times a year. Now that my oldest son has an XJ of his own, it's finally practical for me to use a 4-seater rig for my wife, 2 other kids and me. A JK is just too far over my budget. The XJ was very practical and cheap to work on and fix-up, but I kept tweaking the unibody so bad it was starting to get pretty tough to open up the hatch or any of the doors. Plus I have always dreamed of a CJ 6, and ever since the LJ came out - that was my true wish for a reliable wheeler with a great wheelbase. I got a good offer for the XJ so I took it.

Here's the LJ when I bought it. I should take some interior photos. That's where she really shines.

My goal with this is to keep it affordable. I don't have much expendable income to spend on upgrades, but we love wheeling. It will be a slow, affordable build that I can hopefully gradually build up without my wife noticing the bank account. Overall goals will be 37's geared somewhere over 4.88, but I won;t go too crazy, because for now, it is my DD. I won't be running 37's for a couple years, because I have no funds to regear. I feel okay running up to 35's with the stock 3.73, although it is obviously pretty sluggish at certain speeds.

See less See more
#2 ·
For the first 1-2 seasons of wheeling, I planned on running with 35's, but I found a crazy deal on some 33's for $450 that are almost brand new with these funny looking 10" wheels. The tires are almost brand new!

I instantly took it to the tire shop to get them swapped onto the stock rims. I sold the rocker rims to some dude who probably wanted them for his tranz am or something for $150. I also sold the spare that came with the 33's which was some random FPepBoys brand for another $75. So I'm only into these tires for $225 for all 4!

At least they aren't sticking out so far, but I had to do something because I was sitting so low, I would rub pulling in my driveway, so I added some pucks up front to get me by.

While I was under there, I added some bars and cotter pins I got at the hardware store for my quick disconnects. Ran me about $18 including washers.

#3 ·
Next set of budget modifications was to trim the front bumpers and the fender flares. And my son plastic-dipped my headlight bezels for me. I hate chrome. At this point I also added some 2" BDS coils int he front, and 2" pucks in the rear. I left the 2" pucks in the front, and plan on leaving it that way, for a while at least.

#4 ·
I took it up the hills in my neighborhood to do some testing to see where I rub before our April trip to Moab, and it looks like I'll need about 1 more inch of bump stop to clear 35's. When I move to 37's, I will probably just do a 1" body lift. But I'm in no hurry, I'll just take the great deals as I find them.

#5 ·
Last week I pulled the rear pucks and added some Crown Vic springs in the rear. It was pretty straight forward. Cost me about $40 at the junk yard. They ride fine, but I need to get new shocks stat! I am topping out on most bumps down the road. Those will be next, hopefully before Moab, because these stock shocks are severely limiting my droop. Here is how it sits now, netting 3.5" in the front and 3" in the rear.

#7 ·
I decided I couldn't afford the shocks I want right now, so I snagged some stock JK shocks from a local dude for $30 front & rear. They are about 3" longer than the stock TJ shocks, so I figured that would do. I also picked up some TeraFlex bar pin eliminators for the front, so that will give me another inch or so of extension in the front. One of the shocks was an absolute beast to get off. I got about 1 turn out of the nut before I got really frustrated and just pulled out the grinder.

Overall, I'm very happy with the feel of the JK shocks. Rides nice and smooth and it was an affordable option. We'll see how they do off road in the next week or 2.

#10 ·
I replaced the giant broken fog lights with LED spotlights.

We also had our first trip to Moab with the new LJ. I didn't do any thing really extreme but I was impressed with how well it handled. First day was pretty mild on elephant hill, then we spent the second day on steel bender.

#12 ·
Very nice... I am rolling an '05 TJ as a DD... I still have my '04TJ to do silly things with... looks like a very solid ride!

#13 ·
A guy offered me $850 for my tires and wheels, and there was a brand new set of 35" Maxxis Bighorns all 5 mounted on these random alloys that I picked up for $750. They stick out a little too much for my taste. If I find a good deal on some rims with more bs, I'll pick them up, but I'm in no hurry. The stance doesn't bug me that much.

#17 ·
After the 35s and 1" BL I maxed it out to check my fender clearance to make sure I don't run in to issues when I go wheeling. Looks like 2 hockey pucks are doing the job. I will replace my factory bump stops with some Daystar polly replacements. The factory ones might as well not even be there. The squish as easily as an empty water balloon.

#18 ·
Looks great man - I like how you've been able to trade up without huge cash investments. I've been fortunate to find a lot of good deals to make my LJ budget friendly as well.....it definitely takes some patience and hard work. I think we even have hte same fog lights haha

Is yours an auto or standard? Is that stock steering? You should look into the V8 ZJ upgrade with those 35's..I've been happy with mine especially for the price

#19 ·
Thanks for the reply man. I'll have to check out your build. It will be good to follow another frugal wheeler. It's an auto. Yes, stock steering. That is actually next on my list. I'd like to reduce the Steering wiggle over small bumps on the highway. My question is, I've heard plenty about upgrading to the ZJ tie rod upgrade, but what about the drag link? Is the ZJ drag link any stouter than stock TJ? I'd like it to help both sides. Otherwise I might as well save for a currie upgrade. Thoughts?

#23 ·
Drag link is the same, the only real upgrade is the tie rod but it is definitely worth it with those 35's. The stock tie rod is hollow and very prone to bending. Currie is definitely in my future too. I bought a used on and I'm slowly rebuilding it. The rod ends are $60 a piece....but in the mean time the v8 ZJ tie rod has served me well for 2 wheeling seasons

#21 ·
Great looking LJ! Mine is my first and only Jeep and I couldn't be happier. Those 35's look good too. Saw you have an auto and if I may offer an opinion for an upgrade to save up for, it would be gears. I've got the auto too with 33s and did 4.88s. Changed it to a completely different vehicle. The addition of the cheap speedo sensor and it shifts like stock and will maintain OD on the highway.

I'm am very envious of your wheeling opportunities. All private property here. Tough to find places to go and nowhere near as scenic.

#22 ·
Thanks man. I do plan to regear. It just may not happen as soon as I would like, but I can't see regearing without adding lockers, which adds another $1500-2000. So I'll be sticking it out for a year or two. I'm sure that would help my MPGs a bit too.

And yes, Utah is a treat. We have a lot of beautiful country to enjoy.

#24 ·
Nice jeep! I'm doing the low budget thing too. Got an 04 lj with 214000 on the ticker. It runs great and the family loves it. I'm finally about done with the general maintenance that comes with buying a high mileage jeep and onto fun stuff. I'm completing the RC 2.5 inch lift with disconnects and other options this weekend. Are you planning to add a tranny cooler? That may be next on my list. I'll probably start my own thread on here too. Love the LJ's.

#26 ·
Not sure if I'll end up with a tranny cooler or not. I haven't really looked into that.
You should make that your next improvement,our 42RLE's run hot and they need every bit of extra cooling we can give them.
When you trimmed your flares how did you get the bead on the edge?
I like the way they came out and have been thinking about doing a set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.