Little Red XJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Little Red XJ Build Thread

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
NS1999XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Little Red XJ Build Thread

Well I've been on this forum for quite some time now, and I've finally lifted my Jeep; warranting a build thread of some sort.

A little background on my Jeep:

I received my Cherokee as a graduation present from my grandparents, which I was not expecting, as I already had a Camaro. Being that I was just out of highschool and going into college, I couldn't afford to have two vehicles, so I sold my Camaro and kept the Jeep, seeing that it was an all around more practical daily driver. Though I do still miss my Camaro.

After having the Jeep for a little while I needed to learn about the main in's and out's of it, and I found Jeepforum on Google.

As I read several threads on here, I got the itch to lift the Jeep and do some offroading. So I wanted to lift it. But being a college student living on my own, it took time and lots of researching cheap fixes and tricks to do what I needed to do. Also, lots of time spent online in the classifieds searching for decent used parts.

Now for the details of my Jeep:

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Chili Pepper Red
Charcoal Interior
HP D30 Front Axle
Chryco 8.25 Rear Axle
AW4 Automatic Tranmission
NP231 Transfer Case
And last but not least, Four Liters of FURY!!!

My first picture of it.

jeep-beginning.jpg

This was about four years ago the week I got it.

After owning it for 6 months, and only 8500 miles that I had put on it, the front pump seal on the trans blew out. Needless to say, I was pissed, and nearly sold my Jeep, but after borrowing some needed money, I had it fully rebuilt at 115k being that it was 2 years warranty for a full rebuild, or 90 days for just the pump seal repair. Glad I went that route.

After experiencing many steering problems, I decided to redo the entire front steering system. The gearbox, and all rods and ends. I decided that since I was going to be wheeling my Jeep, I wanted to upgrade some of those components. I have a ZJ tierod upgrade, and also a JCR Offroad inner steering spacer/brace, after I took the stock cast aluminum spacer out in particles.

Blingage.

269.jpg

After a professional alignment, my Jeep never handled better in the time I've owned it.

So about 3 months ago, I managed to score a deal on a set of Tomken upper and lower control arms with poly bushings and Johnny Joints, 4 inch lift springs, JKS quick disconnects, Crown stainless braided extended brake lines, 2 inch lift pucks and degree shims for the rear. All for $200 thanks to my buddy Brian.

I also managed to buy a set of Blazer rear springs, already out of the truck for $60.

I purchased 4.5 inch lift shocks from Rusty's, and a Rough Country adjustable trackbar for 4-6" lift. Got about $250 into those.

I know what you guys are thinking, with the rear driveshaft vibes from going that high. Got it covered with a Rusty's 1" drop crossmember from my buddy Tim for $60.

For tires, I bought a cheapo set of 32x11.50 15's from my buddy Paul for $60.

I've also upgraded my motor mounts. Brown Dog Motor Mounts have to be my favorite investment all around in my Jeep, seeing as because my old worn out mounts caused me to destroy a 3 core all brass radiator. They were definitely worth the $105 I had paid for them.

248.jpg

I also have a 3 core all aluminum radiator from Ledfoot Racing. This replaced the aforementioned brass radiator that I destroyed when the fan clutch spun into it due to my worn out motor mounts.

Brass Radiator and Aluminum Radiator
218.jpg
300.jpg

Unread 08-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
NS1999XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Being that I finally had somewhat of a foundation, I got my act together and put the lift on over the 8/1 weekend. It took 2 complete days to do, and was a pain in the *** due to the lower control arm bolts on the body side seizing in the bushing, but other than those 2 bolts, not too shabby.

I assembled the bastard pack with the full Blazer pack under the XJ main leaf, drilled out the XJ main for a new center pin, and widened the center hole on the spring perches.

318.jpg

I eliminated my rear sway bar and used the spring plate mounts as bar pin eliminators. Free mod and never have to deal with those stupid body bolts again!

I completed the rear first and then tackled the front.

The body side LCA bolts had to be torched out for me due to them never being off before. I had replaced the UCA's before with poly bushings on the axle and body side so those weren't any problem.

The bolt size for the LCA's is an M14x1.50 4.5" long just in case anyone is wondering.

Then the swaybar studs had to come out so I could install the JKS Quick Disco swaybar links.

Then the trackbar body mount and then the installation and alignment of the trackbar.

I then did a driveway recentering of the steering wheel. After approximately 16-17 hours of work, it was done.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.