Little bit of tinkering aka Tinkertoy - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Little bit of tinkering aka Tinkertoy

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #106
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

do you have any photos of your rear upper control arm mounts?

thanks

My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #107
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 View Post
do you have any photos of your rear upper control arm mounts?

thanks
These are about it

Unread 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #108
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #109
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bought a 8 and 12" limit strap to make some center limit straps for the front and rear and some better tiedowns for the Jeep on the trailer.
So got a bit of work to do before Saturday morning.
Unread 06-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #110
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Took my toy out for a walk in the park

A link to more pictures

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Unread 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #111
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the front center limit strap in seems to help climbing steep stuff, also as a note to self, check and re torque the bolts on the beadlock rims you rub them on rocks enough they will spin loose. I was missing one and about 4 or 5 were loose, got them all torqued down again.
Other than that about the only maintenance so far has been letting air out of the tires. Damn I love this Jeep
Unread 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #112
Dirt22

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A couple of my buddies have welded hook points on their front diffs, they hook their winch lines to them and that's where they stay... I've seen them several times tighten up the winch line to lower the front end on steep climbs.
Dirt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #113
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Suck down winches are very cool. It looks like you go up some steep stuff. I will i could come out that way and ride along with your jeep
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #114
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt22 View Post
A couple of my buddies have welded hook points on their front diffs, they hook their winch lines to them and that's where they stay... I've seen them several times tighten up the winch line to lower the front end on steep climbs.
I know, was looking at that Friday even jerry rigged it for a sec and yes my winch will draw it down, just have to weld a plate with a hook attached to it on the axle tube.
It definitely climbs better with the center strap did this climb without spinning a tire. My buddy in this Jeep almost went over backwards but eventually made it over

The guy with the Yellow Jeep tried to get up it in 3 wheel drive and got denied, has done it before with ease though, and he should, he dumped about 80 grand in that thing
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #115
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Started messing with the flasher for the hazards and turn signals today.
The 2003 and newer TJ's use a all solid state flasher that is not all that easy to modify for led lights.
I don't like the idea of resistors or other tricks to get the current back to the level where the flasher works normally.
In my other TJ I have a LED flasher that works the turn signals bit blows the fuse with the hazards.
The other day I was messing with one of our delivery trucks that uses a LED flasher for commercial trucks, that looked like a nice unit for my TJ, so after checking the wiring diagram I decided that it just might work, so gave it a try today and after a few blown fuses I found the correct slots in the flasher socket and it now has regular flashing turn signals and hazards, the only drawback if any is that the turn signals work without the ignition on. It's still jerry rigged, but this is where it's going to go on both Jeeps, it has a nice and pretty loud audible signal on it also, so even with the Jeep completely open you can hear when the turn signals are on while going down the road.
The flasher is made by the Trucklite company

I did the flasher mod with the pre 2003 flasher and yes it killed the battery. These we use at work so far on over 40 trucks or so I have changed one in the last 10 years. It's still hooked up so we will know in a couple of days. Found a trucklite part number for a 5 pin led flasher, just do not know if it will do the same thing as the led flasher I have in my yellow Jeep I might actually on that one bend one of the pins for ignition hot and see if that stops the short in it.
Buttoned it up today and it works like a charm the part number is97232 for a electronic flasher with audible alarm from trucklite, no need to cut or splice any wires, just ziptie or mount the flasher near the steering column, ground the ground wire eyelet and stick 2 spades in the flasher sockets and be happy. Also while going through the trucklite parts book I found a 5 pin led flasher part# 97283, not sure if that does blow the multi function switch fuse when using the hazards though, I know my other Jeep does that with a led flasher I got from Napa, I guess when I have some time I'll crossreference the part numbers
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #116
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very nice build, I can appreciate wanting to build your own brackets etc. Great work.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #117
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the flasher business in my little Jeep resolved also it's a triden 5 pin led flasher that would blow the fuse for the multi function switch when you turned the hazards on, which annoyed the heck out of me. So Friday afternoon I pulled the thing out and started playing with some short jumper wires and came to the conclusion that if I break the center spade of the flasher I have no more short and working hazards and turn signals with the key on or in the acc position which is good enough for me
Unread 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #118
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Summerized my little Jeep and worked a bit more on the windshield frame for the big Jeep, looks like the frame is pretty much back to it's original size.
Will have to fit a windshield in there to see if it is. Gonna call the glass guy to sell me that 65 dollar windshield. Also with a bit of luck I might pick up a 6 speed trans for my baby

Unread 06-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #119
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up this little darling this afternoon, turned into an all afternoon drive in traffic, but well worth it

Here is one of the reasons for the why
NV1500 on the left and NSG 370 on the right

As I later found, when I finally swapped transmissions is that the lower first gear helps, but the biggest gain is my lower 2 nd gear, which helps a lot bumping ledges
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #120
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey that's gonna really help out on the crawl ratio on you mega-jeep. I've been looking into swapping a Ford NP435 into my 98. First gear is 6.68 in it. I hope that I can get away without regearing when I go to 35's with this tranny...

Tags
buggy build , jeep , lots of tinkering , offroading , rock crawling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.