Little bit of tinkering aka Tinkertoy - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Little bit of tinkering aka Tinkertoy

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #841
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
Gots to built me a flex ramp some day out of a bunch of scrap steel

This temp ramp building is for the birds, on the bright side looks like the sneakers will work and clear. Guess a quicky trip up Cleghorn is next
Crawling around the driveway I see. My kinda wheelin.

Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #842
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Crawling around the driveway I see. My kinda wheelin.
From the Hammers to my driveway, my put put Jeep does it all.
Basically wanted to see if the tires needed wheel spacers for clearance or not. Looks like I am good cruised it down the street to, kinda liking these big sneakers

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #843
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Drug my little Jeep up to Big Bear, where we ran John Bull, got lucky there, only 1 Jeep ahead of us. Then on to Holcomb, puttered through that, little more traffic there. From there to Dishpan, where we had to tow a quad up the hill. Gave them all some water and on we went, ran into some old folks enjoying their Jeeps at the waterfall. Once they moved on it was smooth wheelin to the end of the trail and home.

Unread 07-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #844
NashvilleTJ

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You live in wheelin' paradise, Art. Sounds like a great day.
NashvilleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #845
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Art what trail do you think is more difficult up in Big Bear besides john bull? I ran it going town on it and had a blast last year...

using JeepForum app
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #846
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Art what trail do you think is more difficult up in Big Bear besides john bull? I ran it going town on it and had a blast last year...

using JeepForum app
Motino wash, actually Dishpan around the waterfall is in nice shape.
John Bull has one spot that is exciting, had to work on it just a little with my yellow Jeep. Holcomb has a couple of lines that are fun. Overall they all make nice trails, not really hard, just fun. Motino wash would be the toughest one

Unread 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #847
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
You live in wheelin' paradise, Art. Sounds like a great day.
Thanks bud, actually fall winter and spring is when all the fun happens. Summer it's to hot to head out to the good stuff, unless we venture out at night. Still the closest trail is about 45 minutes away, pretty cool

Unread 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #848
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well since yesterday's little wheelin outing, I think it's becoming time to fudge with the rear suspension of my little yellow darling a bit. I always hated the wheel hopping on the thing and since my other Jeep has none.
I can sit in that one and smoke all four tires as much as I like.
I decided to do some measuring to see what anti squad the suspension has with this Fulltraction short arm trilink, pretty horrid as it sits it has like 200% anti squad. Just moving some stuff around will get me somewhere between 70 to 95%. Since my other Jeep is at 100% and climbs stuff really well, I will probably try to go for 95%
This is about what I came up with, going to crawl under sometime soon to see how feasible it is to make it this way.

What I would really like to do is stretch it a bit in the front, run 12" coilovers and mid arm it. But that will have to wait till after my big toy sports a 5.3 Chevy

Unread 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #849
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Well since yesterday's little wheelin outing, I think it's becoming time to fudge with the rear suspension of my little yellow darling a bit. I always hated the wheel hopping on the thing and since my other Jeep has none.
I can sit in that one and smoke all four tires as much as I like.
I decided to do some measuring to see what anti squad the suspension has with this Fulltraction short arm trilink, pretty horrid as it sits it has like 200% anti squad. Just moving some stuff around will get me somewhere between 70 to 95%. Since my other Jeep is at 100% and climbs stuff really well, I will probably try to go for 95%
This is about what I came up with, going to crawl under sometime soon to see how feasible it is to make it this way.

What I would really like to do is stretch it a bit in the front, run 12" coilovers and mid arm it. But that will have to wait till after my big toy sports a 5.3 Chevy
Looks like soon you will have two "big toys" 5.3 engine swap will be awesome to see.
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #850
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Looks like soon you will have two "big toys" 5.3 engine swap will be awesome to see.
Nah the little un is staying little, just want to fix the wheel hopping bull crap.
Seems to me 1 or 2 days of fabbing and a few bucks worth of steel will resolve that noise

Unread 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #851
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Found me a hunk of steel that would make some nice lower control arm mounts.
However now that the lid is of the worms are starting to crawl out, as you can see when I mount the control arm where I want, the shocks will hang to low, so will have to outboard those. Been meaning to do that for a long time as well as moving the upper spring seats back a tad. Then the front mount point of the tri link wishbone needs to go up about an inch or so, but that may interfere with the fuel lines.
This Jeep stuff is just so much fun.

Unread 07-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #852
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good idea, but that new piece is going to have a lot of stress put on it, especially since it will be dragged over rocks yall wheel in. Some dimple died formed holes on the bottom and a nice big gusset (maybe two) on each side to mount to the axle? .... But I not an engineer or professional jeep builder... Keep us updated.
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #853
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Looks like a good idea, but that new piece is going to have a lot of stress put on it, especially since it will be dragged over rocks yall wheel in. Some dimple died formed holes on the bottom and a nice big gusset (maybe two) on each side to mount to the axle? .... But I not an engineer or professional jeep builder... Keep us updated.
Made my other Jeep the same way and that one has had the snot beat out of it. My brackets seem to hold up very well and I weld them to the axle tube inside and out. Factory brackets are at the most 1/8 steel and wad up pretty easy as you can see in the pic. Holes in brackets makes em hang up, would take some doing dimple dieing 1/4" steel

Unread 07-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #854
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think he was assuming you were going to leave the steel that length. Art I re drilled the holes on mine up an inch 1/2 and I now have a descent AS. Before it would hop, and when accelerating it didn't squat nicely. Now, it does. I just used weld washers and plated the bottom it was free and other then the drilling easy
image-3313280281.jpg  
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #855
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
I think he was assuming you were going to leave the steel that length. Art I re drilled the holes on mine up an inch 1/2 and I now have a descent AS. Before it would hop, and when accelerating it didn't squat nicely. Now, it does. I just used weld washers and plated the bottom it was free and other then the drilling easy
I remember what you did, I just want them up a little higher.
The only problem is, that I will have to outboard the shocks to to get everything flat with the underside of the axle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.