Little bit of tinkering aka Tinkertoy - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Little bit of tinkering aka Tinkertoy

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippiGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #1591
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well just for you, then to now tire comparison

28" tires

31" tires

32" tires

33" tires

35"

35" krawlers versus 42" Pitbulls

39.5" Pitbulls

37" Krawlers

35" KM2's versus 40" MTR's

Unread 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #1592
whitelightning
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's almost like an evolution of each jeep also. Each one has came a long way. And damn that's a lot of rubber to have gone through
whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #1593
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
It's almost like an evolution of each jeep also. Each one has came a long way. And damn that's a lot of rubber to have gone through
What can I say, I got a thing about tires and love trying different ones to see what works best for me
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #1594
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Well just for you, then to now tire comparison
lol much appreciated. i save a lot of pictures from jeepforum for ideas/references and i just saved and renamed all of those lol

Quote:
What can I say, I got a thing about tires and love trying different ones to see what works best for me
i see you went from 31's to 32's to 33's to 35's. usually what i have seen is stock/31's/33's/35's or stock/32's/35/s.

what was your experiences with all 3 back to back, most people wont go up just an inch. im curious as to your intentions and how well they played out in your experiences.

Im sitting on my 30's and this is very interesting for me in my debate on my next tire hieght.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1595
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why didn't you keep the 35 inch Krawlers on the Yellow Jeep?
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #1596
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Why didn't you keep the 35 inch Krawlers on the Yellow Jeep?
Three reasons, one I have a bigger better Jeep to trash about in the rocks.
Two somebody wanted those tires really bad so I made a deal with him for his near new KM2's and two fists full of dollars, then sold my old MTZ's for some coin so all in all ended up with near new tires on my Jeep and a fair amount of money for the Jeep fund.
Third reason Krawlers aren't the most suited street tires. I mostly drive my lil yellow Jeep to work. For wheeling I pretty much use my other Jeep all the time
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #1597
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
. I mostly drive my lil yellow Jeep to work.
when i read that it sparked some curiousity, what year and how many miles are on your TJ?

SEMPER FI
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #1598
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
lol much appreciated. i save a lot of pictures from jeepforum for ideas/references and i just saved and renamed all of those lol

i see you went from 31's to 32's to 33's to 35's. usually what i have seen is stock/31's/33's/35's or stock/32's/35/s.

what was your experiences with all 3 back to back, most people wont go up just an inch. im curious as to your intentions and how well they played out in your experiences.

Im sitting on my 30's and this is very interesting for me in my debate on my next tire hieght.
It's actually funny how that all played out.
Jeep sat brand new on 28" tires after owning it for 3 months I had some spare time and took it out on some dirt roads, then fould some cool stuff to play on. 4 th obstacle I couldn't get over, got pissed, drove home.
Went to Costo bought 4 31" BFG at's mounted them that night went bqck the next day and ran almost all the obstacles. Month later it got lifted.
Then after a few months bought some used 33" Cooper STT's, regeared the Jeep and wheeled some more. Darn things didn't want to balance for nothing. Tjhen a friend had 4 brand new 32" MTR's sitting in his garage that he sold cheap, bought those, wheeled the snot out of those. Was fun going everywhere my buddies on 35's went.
Then did some work on a friend's Jeep and he traded me 5 35" MTZ's on Mickey thompson classic rims. So sold all the other tires and rims and ran those for quite some time. Had fun with those, punctured a few sidewalls on them so wanted tougher tires for the more hard core offroading so when a friend wanted to get rid of his krawlers on OME beadlocks I bought those.
That way I could swap wheels when ever I wanted to get carried away.
As I said, I have a thing for tires. I liked the old style MTR's
The BFG AT's I had fun with also. Cooper STT's aren't to bad in what little mud we have here, just chunk in the rocks. The MTZ's worked ok, just the sidewalls aren't all that strong just like all the Cooper and Procomp tires.
The krawlers worked pretty good on rocks, just a heavy and loud tire on the street. My current KM2's are ok for street driving, they balance really well, with very little weight. Not the best rock tire though.
So there ya have it that's my story and I am sticking to it
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #1599
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
when i read that it sparked some curiousity, what year and how many miles are on your TJ?
Yellow TJ is a 2006 and has 40.000 miles all put on it by me.
My big Jeep is a 2004 and has 38.000 miles on it
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #1600
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

all information is much appreciated

edit:
for your 04, which tires did you like better, the MTR/K or the Rockers?

also do you favor the old mtr's more than the kevlars?

SEMPER FI
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #1601
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

On my 04 I should have bought the 42" rockers instead of the 39" ones and I would have been happy. The Kevlar MTR's I have on it now are stickies in the rear and they work very well. The new MTR's work pretty well one thing about them that seems to pop up is that they like to spring a leak in the siping where the steel belts meet the kevlar kinda just at the start of the sidewall. Jay had 2 of them spring a leak in that area when he did his EMC race at KOH. Other than that quite a few people like them for rock tires, they grip rocks pretty good.
What I like about the bias ply rockers is the tough sidewalls, they are a pretty darn tough tire. Lately I have been eyeing Maxis trepador and kreepycrawlers tires.
Their bias ply version of those have a nice soft rubber compound and tough thick sidewalls. For my 04 I just look for tough tires with a soft rubber compound in the thread area. The MTR's weren't a first choice, they kinda came my way on a spur of the moment because the price was right, I like the part where they stick to rocks every bit as good as Krawler red labels. The old MTR's were a pretty good and pretty tough tire, the new style has a lot more siping and that seems to help them stick to rocks
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #1602
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lately I have been eyeing Maxis trepador and kreepycrawlers tires. Their bias ply version of those have a nice soft rubber compound and tough thick sidewalls.
lol same here, ever since mike got rid of his i have been looking into them more. especially because of the sidewalls though.

I have the TSL/SX's and IMO they have some of the best coverage ive searched of sidewall protection and thats what i was looking for when i choose those to upgrade from stock.

And the behavour of them on road being bias has been very acceptable. Again i know nothing more than that and stock but if i could expect similiar from the Maxxis then that would be my favorite over Kevlars. Those are the only radials i would run, i like the strength and durability of bias.

one thing i will note though is with so much sidwall strength i've aired to 6 psi with the 30x12 TSL/SX's on steel rims and they barely even flatten out. They start to grab an obstacle but not much.

i read in JP most of the editors who run beadlocks go between 0-3 psi and i think that would be ideal for these type of tires.

just my noob .02 i enjoy learning about everyones experiences

SEMPER FI
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #1603
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lol same here, ever since mike got rid of his i have been looking into them more. especially because of the sidewalls though.

I have the TSL/SX's and IMO they have some of the best coverage ive searched of sidewall protection and thats what i was looking for when i choose those to upgrade from stock.

And the behavour of them on road being bias has been very acceptable. Again i know nothing more than that and stock but if i could expect similiar from the Maxxis then that would be my favorite over Kevlars. Those are the only radials i would run, i like the strength and durability of bias.

one thing i will note though is with so much sidwall strength i've aired to 6 psi with the 30x12 TSL/SX's on steel rims and they barely even flatten out. They start to grab an obstacle but not much.

i read in JP most of the editors who run beadlocks go between 0-3 psi and i think that would be ideal for these type of tires.

just my noob .02 i enjoy learning about everyones experiences
TSL's are tough but not the best rock tire around. The bias ply tires like low pressure, my rockers were very happy at around 4-5 psi in the rocks
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #1604
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Started some more Jeep tinkering today, messed with one of my tires, is half way done. Letting the rubber cement cure
Also looked at my windshield, jerry rigged a cutter tool, works pretty darn well. Took about 30 minutes to cut the Urethane sealant all the way around the windshiel and the mounting gasket that hold the windshield is still reusable.
On a TJ Wrangler you lay the windshield flat, take all the molding of the inside of the windshield frame and cut the Urethane sealant from the backside as close to the steel windshield lip as you can.
I used a bread knife that I put a bend in so I could cut close to the steel inner lip of the windshield frame.
For safety sake dull the rest of the knife except for the area after the bend that you use for cutting the sealant. so you don't cut the snot out of your fingers and wear gloves to keep glass splinters out of your hands. Other than that it's an easy process

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #1605
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My bud Fred's first shakedown run

[/QUOTE]

Tags
buggy build , jeep , lots of tinkering , offroading , rock crawling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.