Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Little bit of tinkering aka Tinkertoy

259K views 3K replies 114 participants last post by  aw12345 
#1 ·
Two years ago after our second visit to the Hammers and running Clawhammer, Sledge Hammer and Big Johnson a friend and me both decided that to keep our daily driver Jeeps in one piece something a bit more carried away was needed to have fun and keep our Jeeps from looking better than something that sits in a junk yard. So after some horse trading and side work I got my hands on a 2004 TJ that had been rolled. I ended up with the Jeep minus axles, transfercase and suspension.
Here she is after I knocked the tub back in shape, sitting next to my little Jeep.

Once that was done the axle hunt was on ended up with a 14 bolt for the rear and a Dana60 HP out of a 79 Ford F350

Once I got some more side work done I really got going on it last May
I wanted everything underneath flat so no control arm brackets, skid plates or anything beneath the frame

Since I was waiting for some parts started to think how the transfercase was going to go under there

Whole bunch of sheetmetal had to go to make that fit

See less See more
#2 ·
Started to get a handle on the front suspension

Had to modify the frame a bit to get some clearance for the axle and some room for the steering

Cut the front of the frame off and replaced it with some rectangular tubing, this way the steering box can come forward to accommodate the front wheel base Stretch. Front axle moved about 6 inches forward

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p289/aartw12345/tinkertoy/
bigyeller099.jpg

#3 ·
Then picked up the coil overs and look ma the front sits on it's own weight.

From there I moved on to making some crossmembers and came up with a lo pro mount for the trans

Once that was tackled, I sacrificed a week vacation and used that time to make a start on a rear suspension

Then the next day it stuck it's nose out of the garage for the first time

That put me towards the end of August of last year.

Then I started to make the mounts for the rear coil overs

Got some nice beadlocks for it also

Week or so later rolled it outside to see how well it would flex and check for clearances

#5 ·
Then started making a bracket for the York compressor for the onboard air

Then borrowed a tube bender and started on a roll cage

Then stuck the rear driveshaft in and drove it for the first time down the street

#6 ·
Then on to hi lining the hood and making some tube fenders

Time for a poser shot lol

Time to get the gearing changed and install the lockers

Once that was successfully concluded I started on the onboard air system

So I made a manifold and got this tank from harbor freight

Once that was all plumbed it was on to some rock sliders

#8 ·
Getting closer to the finish

Cleaned up wiring etc under the hood

Time to mess with the center console, the stock stuff had to go to make enough clearance for the shifters and I wanted it gone period

Plenty of room for more switches and idiot lights

On to trying the lockers out

Also in betwixed and between made a rear bumper with some shackle mounts

The finished product

Time for it's first road trip and shake down

Finally got a trailer to drag it to the trail.

The fenders on the trailer did not clear so out came the plasma and of the came. They are now easily removable
This week's chores were to install a rear anti rock and make an engine and trans skidplate

Well that took eleven months of all my free time and vacation time
So that's all folks I need a break and I am going wheelin

#11 ·
For now it's pretty good, will fudge with the rear suspension a little, good thing I drilled extra holes in the brackets I made. On climbing some ledges it wheel hops a bit. We did Clawhammer, Jackhammer including the gatekeeper thing which is pretty darn cool, We could not run Lower Sledgehammer since it was blocked by a broken down Jeep. After finishing Jackhammer we walked down Sledge to see if these folks needed any help. Once we got back to the Jeeps we ran upper Sledge which was way cool might get some pics of that in a bit. Carnage for the day my tiedown straps got cut and the front diff cover peeked back a bit and leaked a little other than that She took her beating without complaints. So overall I am very happy with how the Jeep wheels.
Big Jeeps ride so much nicer on tough trails. Really didn't have any real trouble following my buddy that has his Jeep on 42's

#18 ·
This the last trail we did has 2 pretty gnarly obstacles
These Jeeps and the Sammi buggy are of friend of mine that ran this trail last year.

I made the trail without winching, just good spotting

Did this one also

kinda gives you an idea of the kinda wheelin I put my toy together for

#19 ·
#26 ·
5.86 gearing would be awesome, but alas not to be had for the axles I have.
In low range it feels nimble and light on it's feet, launches up ledges pretty good. 4bangers wheel different from the Jeeps with 6 cyls, they have to be wound up some to get places, both my 4 poppers have taken me so far wherever I cared to put the tires lol. My little Yellow one drives well on the street and wheels like a champ too.

#29 ·
On todays outing the powersteering had a fit so after doing half the trail, I turned it around and putted back to the trailer. Just pulled the steering box of and will dive into that tomorrow. Have to get that resolved before wednesday, such a busy life lol

#32 ·
Seems like I made a wise decision yesterday when I turned around and headed back to the trailhead when my steering started to act up.

On the bright side the housing is reusable, just got to find a old steering box where I can rob some parts out off.

#33 ·
A wheelin buddy hooked me up with a used Steering box, pretty cool.
Will see if I can marry the 2 together and come up with one that will function the way it should after I come home from work

#35 ·
Thanks man, the even better news is that a friend had a used TJ steering box laying around so I can gut that and stick the part in my housing and of to the Hammers I go for some more fun this coming Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Wheelin heaven Hee Haa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.