Lil Green Bean - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Lil Green Bean

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #46
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

do those shackles come with the rubber bushings, or do you have to buy that separately? i'm guessing they do and that you can just slap them in the btf crossmember hanger?

edit: and are those 1 inch yj lift shackles or stock length? it doesn't say but it falls under the lift category... and have you set up a track bar for the rear?

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #47
04limegreen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This jeep is amazing no other way to put it!!!!

Electric Lime Green Jeep Owners #3
04limegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #48
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
do those shackles come with the rubber bushings, or do you have to buy that separately? i'm guessing they do and that you can just slap them in the btf crossmember hanger?

edit: and are those 1 inch yj lift shackles or stock length? it doesn't say but it falls under the lift category... and have you set up a track bar for the rear?
Yep, they come with rubber bushings which you'll use on the BTF crossmember. They are also 1" yj lift shackles which IMO is the longest shackle I would recommend on this swap.

On the track bar, just curious why you would want to do this? Track bars locate laterally, which is rarely used with leaf suspensions since the springs do this. If you're referring to a "traction bar" or "ladder bar".... these are very necessary when doing a "spring over" setup (leafs on top of axle) to prevent spring wrap and pinion angle change. However, I didn't want the lift height of spring over and went spring under axle, which isn't nearly as susceptible to axle wrap. So short answer, no, I don't run any traction bar / track bar links in the rear.
2008 Rubi Unlimited: Gone!
Smashin' Punkin - 06 Rubi LJ, Cummins QSB3.3, work in progress
IndyORV
Red_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #49
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04limegreen View Post
This jeep is amazing no other way to put it!!!!
Thanks Lime! It's been my favorite build out of all of them I've done
IndyORV
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #50
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

What did you do to address the fuel gelling in cold temps?

Your Jeep still gives me a mild chub...

Sent from planet X.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #51
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Smoke View Post
Yep, they come with rubber bushings which you'll use on the BTF crossmember. They are also 1" yj lift shackles which IMO is the longest shackle I would recommend on this swap.

On the track bar, just curious why you would want to do this? Track bars locate laterally, which is rarely used with leaf suspensions since the springs do this. If you're referring to a "traction bar" or "ladder bar".... these are very necessary when doing a "spring over" setup (leafs on top of axle) to prevent spring wrap and pinion angle change. However, I didn't want the lift height of spring over and went spring under axle, which isn't nearly as susceptible to axle wrap. So short answer, no, I don't run any traction bar / track bar links in the rear.
yeah sorry man i meant a traction/ladder bar, idk why i wrote track haha... but do you get any axle wrap with out it??

thanks for answering all these questions man

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #52
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's cool to see a build thread Smoke....Your build has been an inspiration to me
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #53
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
What did you do to address the fuel gelling in cold temps?

Your Jeep still gives me a mild chub...

Sent from planet X.
Not too much of a concern in the midwest anymore, especially when they change over to 'winter blend' which is a combo No. 1/No. 2 diesel. There are some old timers that still swear you have to run additives.

btw, your Jeep ain't too chabby either

Quote:
yeah sorry man i meant a traction/ladder bar, idk why i wrote track haha... but do you get any axle wrap with out it??

thanks for answering all these questions man
With the stock XJ springs, I did get some level of axle wrap but not enough that I ever broke anything. Now with the OME springs it doesn't wrap at all. You could also get a set of springs with military wrap 2nd leaves to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
It's cool to see a build thread Smoke....Your build has been an inspiration to me
Thanks Kyle. Already pointed a couple guys your way that are looking for something other than the 'way back' spring hangers.
IndyORV
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #54
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Love it, just seems that a small-ish diesel in a Jeep just makes sense . How do you like the 4.10's with 37s? I assume it keeps the rpms fairly low/efficient, I forget where I was reading a 4BT swap where the OP was trying to maintain around 1500 rpms on the highway..gotta love the torque of a diesel
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #55
justanotherjpr

Awesome build! I love how you build stuff that would take the rest of us days/weeks like it's nothing - "built cage." "Built long arms".
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #56
04ovrland
2004 WJ 

sorry if this has already been asked but what did you use for a transmission? are there adapter plates to this motor?
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #57
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

so these are the springs you ended up with i'm guessing?? http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5054.htm

Unread 12-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #58
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
Love it, just seems that a small-ish diesel in a Jeep just makes sense . How do you like the 4.10's with 37s? I assume it keeps the rpms fairly low/efficient, I forget where I was reading a 4BT swap where the OP was trying to maintain around 1500 rpms on the highway..gotta love the torque of a diesel
The 4.10 and 37's are actually a bit high for this engine at 70mph. Ideally I would run a 3.73 with this trans/tcase combo. As it currently is, I rarely launch in first, and a 4:1 ratio in the tcase makes gears 1-2 unusable offroad. However, the NSG370 has a great ratio spread. It'd be different with an AX15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Awesome build! I love how you build stuff that would take the rest of us days/weeks like it's nothing - "built cage." "Built long arms".
In all fairness, I'm just moving this build thread from our private IndyORV board to JF. This build took exactly 6 months from start to finish, and that was working every night and 12 hour days on the weekend. I'm no better than most of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ovrland View Post
sorry if this has already been asked but what did you use for a transmission? are there adapter plates to this motor?
NSG370. I use an adapter that a friend drew up and machined on CNC. Still debating on whether to offer a kit to the public.

Quote:
so these are the springs you ended up with i'm guessing?? http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5054.htm
That's correct, those are springs that I use today, with the exception of an extra main leaf. If you're ordering new ones, I would recommend the heavy load ones which may prevent the necessity of the extra leaf. Of course, all depends if your Jeep is set up similiarly to mine (armor, wheelbase, accessories).
IndyORV
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #59
IAmAmerican
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to tow with it? Why did u choose to put leafs in the rear? (sorry if this question has already been asked)
Nice jeep man!
IAmAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #60
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow...

Read the stuff he posts don't just look at the pictures. He's using leafs for the simple fact that he likes them.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by First page
The leaf spring swap accomplishes a couple things:
1.) Adjustable 6-9" WB stretch
2.) Easy ride height and spring rate adjustments (add a leaf, lose a leaf)
3.) Side hill stability

And no, I'm not going to argue with anyone about leaf vs. 4-link vs. tri-link vs. your grandma's best buddie's trailing arm setup. This works for me and I like it....
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b3.3 , cummins , custom , diesel , diesel swap , engine swap , indyorv , leaf springs on a tj , two tone

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.