Lil Green Bean - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Lil Green Bean

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 11-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finally!!!!!!!!!

Unread 11-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #17
Optiskate
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice!
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #18
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thats an awesome build
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A couple more shots. This frame was in better shape than my last TJ, but I went ahead and made frame gussets to fix the rust that was starting at the UCA access hole. The Genright stuff was made for a 4" stretch, but you can see how offset the tire is in their wheel opening. And even with the new stretch tube fenders, they hung off the back, so tried my hand at cutting/sectioning out 6" of the rear part of the flare. Also ended up making a plate to fill in the gas tank filler opening since it was gonna be covered now.

2008 Rubi Unlimited: Gone!
Smashin' Punkin - 06 Rubi LJ, Cummins QSB3.3, work in progress
IndyORV
Red_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

More pictures of how I did the rear wheel well openings. These are Genright ext rear armor with standard 3" flares sectioned to match the body lines.

IndyORV
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hardest part of fab work is making both sides look the same. 88 cents at walmart, and voila, you have a reversible template

And now begins the powertrain swap:

IndyORV
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my first stab at motor mounts. Not sure I like them - a little too low with only four inches of uptravel between the UCA and the lower motor mount. Gonna do a Rev B maybe next week.

In between engine mounting stuff, I went back to the Genright Highline fenders. Just could wait to cut into that hood! unk:

IndyORV
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I only used the sawzall for the double layered portions at the front and rear of the hood. For the rest I used this body saw - doesn't heat up the paint, and a little more refined.

And here's the long awaited moment...

I can't get over the clearance with 37's and a 2" budget boost! Only thing to keep in mind is the front is lacking 567lbs of engine. Have to do quite a bit of clean-up on the cut and even everything out, then back to mounts.
IndyORV
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #24
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

Im liking it
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that looks great nice job so far..
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #26
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

coming along nicely. very good!

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #27
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

okay setting up shackle angles is the part that is giving me the absolute most trouble on figuring it out online.

okay first of all is the shackle angle represented by alpha or beta? and yeah i know that shackle angle is awful but it was easy to draw on

also when you are setting up your shackle angles without weight on it, how much do you plan on the shackle angle to change after you place weight on it? or maybe should i just ask what is the process of how to set up shackle angles?

edit: i think you should post a picture of how it sits now at the top so people don't think you're building it right now

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #28
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
okay setting up shackle angles is the part that is giving me the absolute most trouble on figuring it out online.

okay first of all is the shackle angle represented by alpha or beta? and yeah i know that shackle angle is awful but it was easy to draw on

also when you are setting up your shackle angles without weight on it, how much do you plan on the shackle angle to change after you place weight on it? or maybe should i just ask what is the process of how to set up shackle angles?

edit: i think you should post a picture of how it sits now at the top so people don't think you're building it right now
Actually it's neither Alpha nor Beta in your pic The shackle angle is the imaginary line directly thru the shackle hanger bolt and the leaf spring bolt. So in your picture, it's probably a 15-20deg angle off vertical. For setting up the suspension, unless you know the leaf spring rate and have a good idea of the weight distribution F/R, you're going to have a hard time estimating the shackle angle at ride height using an unloaded spring. You can search the 'net for eye-to-eye measurements under load, or take a look at kyle_craig's build thread. He just posted his measurements from the rear leaf conversion.

How we've done it on a couple TJ's thus far... BTF crossmember in place, shackle length determined and mocked up, leaf spring attached to front frame bracket and place it on the frame rail with the shackle at a 0deg (vertical) and either tack the hanger on, or put a good c-clamp on there. Now put a jack stand under the axle center pin on the spring and slowly load spring to get an idea of your compression and approximate shackle angle. Obviously this is much more accurate if you can do both springs at the same time and actually get the weight of the vehicle, but you can approximate it one side at a time. Once you're happy with the angles, do some X measurements to make sure the axle is true to the frame and burn in the front hangers.
IndyORV
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #29
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Smoke View Post
Actually it's neither Alpha nor Beta in your pic The shackle angle is the imaginary line directly thru the shackle hanger bolt and the leaf spring bolt. So in your picture, it's probably a 15-20deg angle off vertical. For setting up the suspension, unless you know the leaf spring rate and have a good idea of the weight distribution F/R, you're going to have a hard time estimating the shackle angle at ride height using an unloaded spring. You can search the 'net for eye-to-eye measurements under load, or take a look at kyle_craig's build thread. He just posted his measurements from the rear leaf conversion.

How we've done it on a couple TJ's thus far... BTF crossmember in place, shackle length determined and mocked up, leaf spring attached to front frame bracket and place it on the frame rail with the shackle at a 0deg (vertical) and either tack the hanger on, or put a good c-clamp on there. Now put a jack stand under the axle center pin on the spring and slowly load spring to get an idea of your compression and approximate shackle angle. Obviously this is much more accurate if you can do both springs at the same time and actually get the weight of the vehicle, but you can approximate it one side at a time. Once you're happy with the angles, do some X measurements to make sure the axle is true to the frame and burn in the front hangers.
alright so if that alpha line would have gone from the leaf spring bolt to the hanger bolt, and the other side vertical it would have been correct??

and yeah i follow his build pretty closely haha, but he said they are 51.5 from eye to eye, and from hanger to hanger its 48.25. so i'm guessing you would start out almost vertical, say , to get it to sit on its own weight at 30 with the stock xj w/ extra main leaf? cause didn't after you tuned it for a while end up with a 30 degree shackle angle?

some more questions which shocks were you running in the rear when you ran a 45 degree angle?? and which ones are you running now??

did you loose any travel when you changed from 45 to 30? i know you said that the 30 provided more up travel but did you have to limit it, and did that limitation lead to less overall travel?

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #30
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
alright so if that alpha line would have gone from the leaf spring bolt to the hanger bolt, and the other side vertical it would have been correct???
Yep, you got it

Quote:
and yeah i follow his build pretty closely haha, but he said they are 51.5 from eye to eye, and from hanger to hanger its 48.25. so i'm guessing you would start out almost vertical, say , to get it to sit on its own weight at 30 with the stock xj w/ extra main leaf? cause didn't after you tuned it for a while end up with a 30 degree shackle angle??
Yep, tried 45 which was very soft, but also tended to invert the leaf springs too easily. Granted, I still invert the springs at full bump, but the 30 shackle angle gives a higher effective rate at ride height and in normal travel range.

Quote:
some more questions which shocks were you running in the rear when you ran a 45 degree angle?? and which ones are you running now??

did you loose any travel when you changed from 45 to 30? i know you said that the 30 provided more up travel but did you have to limit it, and did that limitation lead to less overall travel?
I've always run 12" bilstein 5125 shocks with the 255/70 valving. My initial travel measurements were around 5.5" up and 5.5" down with the 45 angle. Now with a steeper 30 angle, I have more like 7" up and 4" down. It makes perfect sense if you envision your shackle as having an ≈90 arc of suspension travel - 90 being full bump and vertical (or in most cases just past) being full extension. Where you place shackle angle at ride height will determine your up/down travel. Now if you want more travel altogether, that's where shackle length and leaf spring length comes into play. I wouldn't recommend anything over a 1" YJ lift shackle though.
IndyORV

Tags
b3.3 , cummins , custom , diesel , diesel swap , engine swap , indyorv , leaf springs on a tj , two tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.