Lifted Wranger X - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Lifted Wranger X

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #61
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Where did you get these? Looks great! Whatever they are, it seems like they would be very useful for homemade tube doors.

itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #62
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked99 View Post
I don't do a lot of serious wheeling - just some occasional stuff but I've never even hit my rockers. I want something simple and light weight. I've got those plastic Bushwacker Rubi look-a-likes right now and they're a pain because I have to retape them. These ones look promising.
They cost me $125 shipped from Q-tec. I'm not disappointed.
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #63
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

nice jeep but im not a fan of the stingers

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #64
Asored2000
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post

I actually really like those mirrors. They would be perfect for this time of the year. I found everything except the mirror re-locater ^^^.. What is that? Is that homemade or something you found in a hardware store that you made work?
Unread 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #65
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i'm interested in those mirrors/brackets too.
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #66
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itasor View Post

Where did you get these? Looks great! Whatever they are, it seems like they would be very useful for homemade tube doors.
These were custom made from a piece of angle and a bolt.

Quote:
I actually really like those mirrors. They would be perfect for this time of the year. I found everything except the mirror re-locater ^^^.. What is that? Is that homemade or something you found in a hardware store that you made work?
Those mirrors were probably the worse thing I could have put on the jeep. They are Rugged Ridge and came complete with everything. You can find them at Q-tec or eBay. A few things:
1. They vibrate. If there is a car behind you, you won't be able to tell how many or what type.
2. They whistle. That got extremely annoying after the first day with the doors off.
3. The pass mirror is not convex. That was hard to get used to.
4. When I removed them my windshield was all scratched up.
Unread 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #67
Asored2000
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Those mirrors were probably the worse thing I could have put on the jeep. They are Rugged Ridge and came complete with everything. You can find them at Q-tec or eBay. A few things:
1. They vibrate. If there is a car behind you, you won't be able to tell how many or what type.
2. They whistle. That got extremely annoying after the first day with the doors off.
3. The pass mirror is not convex. That was hard to get used to.
4. When I removed them my windshield was all scratched up.
Ah, oh well, I'll keep searching. Thanks for the info though.
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #68
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asored2000 View Post
Ah, oh well, I'll keep searching. Thanks for the info though.
The easiest thing to do is the relocation brackets. They are kind of funny looking for our body style. One option I'm exploring is getting a set of pre-'03 mirrors with the relocation brackets they sell for that type of mirror. Although the mirror for the pre-'03 doesn't look as nice as ours, the entire setup is much cleaner looking. It will still keep a stock-like appearance. The price tag is probably close to $100. That's what is stopping me from doing it right now.
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #69
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The easiest thing to do is the relocation brackets. They are kind of funny looking for our body style. One option I'm exploring is getting a set of pre-'03 mirrors with the relocation brackets they sell for that type of mirror. Although the mirror for the pre-'03 doesn't look as nice as ours, the entire setup is much cleaner looking. It will still keep a stock-like appearance. The price tag is probably close to $100. That's what is stopping me from doing it right now.
Mirror Update. Check out this thread for the build specs. Also notice the grille inserts. Check out this thread for those details.

Unread 12-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #70
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I finally bit the bullet and got the regear done. I had been saving for several months or so. I got quotes from 4 different shops. The shops are listed below from highest quote to lowest. If I remember right all quotes included 1 yr parts and labor. I went from factory 3.07 to Yukon 4.10's so the prices included new carriers.

Delmarva Offroad HIGHEST
Appalachian Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
DND Customs LOWEST

Below are a few pics with my cellphone.

Overall the job took about 12 hours for the whole thing. There were some hiccups getting things apart and some problems with the rear pinion. The front went together smooth and once the rear pinion load was adjusted we were good. Mike (the owner of DND), let me watch the entire install. The ride home took about 2 hours with 2 pit stops on the way home to let the gears break in. I'll provide an update in a few weeks on performance. The ride home was a little gentle, but the initial impression is positive with regards to the increase in power.
Unread 12-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #71
jeeplover88
1988 MJ Comanche 

I love the wheels. those are sick!
Unread 01-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #72
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just a quick update on the 4.10 regear. I've had it now for 4 days and the improvement is great. Before with 3.07 I used gears 1-4 and 5th once every blue moon if I was really zipping down the highway. With the 4.10 I am back to using 6th on the highway. 1st is probably going to be used less. It is geared very low:

1st - 4.46
2nd - 2.61
3rd - 1.72
4th - 1.25
5th - 1.00
6th - 0.84
Rev - 4.06

I still don't have the speedo installed, so my MPH is way off, but I'm completely satisfied with the performance.
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #73
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quick update on the regear. Because of a minor vibration, I took out the front drive shaft and replaced all the cardan joints and the ball joint with greaseable joints. The drive shaft had a slight bend that was corrected and it was balanced. $250 total, Perry Hall Power Equipment. It didn't fix the very minor vibration, but it needed some work regardless. I plan to update the cardan joints on the rear drive shaft down the road.

I think the vibration is due more to the higher shaft speed and the use of 5th and 6th, which hadn't been used for about 4 years. There is only a very slight rumble in the gas pedal and a little shimmy in the shifter when cruising at 65mph. RPM's at 65mph are around 2300 giving me a little play if I need to go higher.

It does take a little getting used to with the use of 5th and 6th. I have to cycle through the gears faster than what I was used too. Sometimes while day dreaming I forget which gear I'm in, but I'll get retrained in time.

The speedo gear is in. The mpg is still being recorded. So far I've measured one tank and got 16mpg, compared to 12-15 with the 3.07. I'll post some more updates when I have more data.
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #74
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Regear MPG between 15-17.

The vibration was a bent outpt shaft on the T-case. I don't know when it happened, but the higher shaft speed made it noticeable after the regear. Below is a quote from this thread.

Quote:
I pulled the rear shaft. Here are some shots of the u-joint. This doesn't look right. Each side has a crack in the seal. It feels okay, but it's probably a good time to replace.

Now here is short grainy vid of the output shaft. I don't know what it's supposed to look like.

Since I had to replace the shaft, I installed an SYE. It was likely not needed, but it can't hurt. The driveshaft should be done tomorrow for the final install.
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #75
MXCarson92
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Clean Jeep award! Very nice, can't wait to see more.

2003 Chevy 2500HD | 6.0 w/ 4.10s | Keys | H2 Wheels/315 BFG's
98 TJ SE | 3.75" Rough Country | 33x12.5x15 DC Mud Country | Cobra 19DX/Firestik 4' | IPF X4 | Genright Steering Box Skid - SOLD

ΦΚΣ
My Build
MXCarson92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.