Kyle's TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's TJ Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesUCF Independence Day Savings... Save 15% today!

Unread 04-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Kyle's TJ Build

Well, as a sort of log and way to keep everything in one spot, I figure I may as well start a build thread. I am picking up a 2005 TJ Wrangler from a friend of a friend this weekend to turn into my weekend toy. It's got just shy of 180k on the clock and has the 6-speed.

It has a few rust issues, but otherwise is pretty solid. My main plan is to armor it and lock it, with plans on keeping it still able to be driven on the road to get to and from the trail (at least for the next 6-9 months until I can get a trailer/truck setup).

After speaking with XTRyan from Extreme Terrain, I am gonna go ahead and give Barricade a try. Today I ordered their front Tube Fenders w/ Flares, rear Fenders, and Rocker Guards with Sliders. I'll go ahead and sort out the rocker rust to prior to installing the Rocker Guards.

Sliders

Front Tube Fenders

Rear Fenders

With the installation of the sliders, I want to remove the body lift and just run the current 2" spring lift with 33s, for the foreseeable future. I may go to 35s down the road, but not anytime soon unless they are free or something.

Long Term I wanna complete this armor and then get into lockers. As of now I am planning on Detroit TrueTracks front/rear for the Dana 30/44 axles. After that step, I will be buying a cage - either a full Poison Syder cage or the Blue Torch Fab half cage. Beyond that step I want to look into front/rear bumpers and a winch (no plans on what brand that'll be yet though). I also have some odds and ends I want to complete such as removing the carpet and doing a DIY bedliner (suggestions?) and investing in the waterproof Bestop seat covers to get the cloth seats in good shape.

Any input or suggestions through out this process will be appreciated!

image1.jpg   image2.jpg   image3.jpg  

1996 Grand Cherokee
2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Side note...Is there any one interested in these existing flares when I go and take them off?

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 04-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #3
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well yesterday was the big day and I brought it home. First order of business was ditching the body lift. I could only shift into 1-3-5 and not 2-4-6-R because it was hitting the tub. I had already planned on removing it, so this just sped up the process. Overall it went pretty smoothly and we didn't see any major hack job issues.

I do plan on selling the 3" body lift if anyone is interested...

During the course of things we found out the front driveshaft had been removed and they thought the double cardan was bad but inspecting it showed it to be in great shape. However, spinning the yoke by hand yielded a lot of slop. We pulled the cover to find some vintage fluid and lots of visual slop in the pin/gear...so we are tearing that out today and putting in the true track we had laying around. The front u joints are also toast on the half shafts and we are gonna inspect the hubs and replace them if needed too.

We pulled the rear cover and besides the vintage fluid, everything checked out ok.

I also need to figure out why the front fender marker doesn't get bright. It only flashes dim causing it blink really fast. Granted it's good away in a few weeks when my tube fenders come, it's kinda annoying. Side note...if anyone wants to buy my tub fenders, let me know!

Otherwise the next step is going to be getting that rust neutralizer and hitting the tub and outside of the frame to get after what's already there. Going to have a buddy look at the stereo and sound bar speakers as well while we wait for my armor to arrive so we can start installing that. I also wanna get an upgraded steering kit before my trip in June as they have several trails you cannot ride with out it. I'm also leaning towards a cover instead of a bikini top/seat covers for the summer as that would only be about $90...

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 04-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely a productive weekend...swapped out the front differential internals with a true track to correct that issue, ended up finding out the front u joints we toasted so I also replaced those. Removing the body lift solved my shifting and linkage issues, but now I need to reconnect the transfer case linkage and front driveshaft once I finish this shake down run. Also found out the rear drum setup was toast that that was all replaced. The rear differential was inspected and we replaced the fluid...it looked awfully metallic and after 150 miles last night was almost too warm to hold your hand to. I think it is also on its way out so I will probably be buying another true track next week and proactively swapping it out in advance just so it doesn't grenade. My immediate to-do list is:
  • Fix passenger door hinge/have all hinges blasted and painted - Ordering replacements 5/11
  • Determine what the fan is rubbing/or what pulley is making noise
  • Change the oil
  • Change transmission fluid
  • Change transfer case fluid
  • Flush the coolant.
  • Determine is my rear wheel cylinders are leaking or if the axle seals are leaking - replacing wheel cylinders 5/12
  • Fit in the right head unit and fix the sound bar speakers
  • Acid/seal the tub rust that I can get to
  • Doing the same for the frame as time allows
  • Installing rear flares and rocker guards when they arrive this week
  • Installing my front tube fenders when they arrive
  • Ordering parts for the rear differential to swap it out in the next 3-4 weeks
  • Fixing the electrical issue that causes constant beeping when the headlights are on (believed to be a bad ground at the radiator)
  • Ordering/upgrading the front steering (rugged ridge kit maybe) - Ordering Currie kit 5/12
  • Fixing the leaky steering box (replacement?) - upgraded cylinder assist kit ordered
  • Reconnecting the transfer case linkage and front drive shaft
  • Figuring out why the AC fuses are all removed and if the AC works
  • Figure out why we the dash selector only blows air out the windshield vent and no other vents
I would have taken more photos but I was pretty dirty and a working like mad to get everything done while I had an extra set of hands to help me... EDIT: NOTE - Oil Change ~180400 miles.

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 04-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
97Heep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
Side note...Is there any one interested in these existing flares when I go and take them off?
you by chance throw in the front fenders with the flairs?
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Heep View Post
you by chance throw in the front fenders with the flairs?
My plan was to keep the inner fender when I go to tube fenders but cutting away the existing fender... It would be significantly more expensive for me to go to a whole new tube fender

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 04-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like I will be going ahead and ordering mostaliner for the inside tub tonight and using the free quart of chassis saver on the outside of the tub to clean it up and pain over any of that surface rust after prepping it with a DA grinder or something similar.

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 05-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Crossed some more items off the list tonight!

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 05-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

More and more parts have arrived...

I let me best friend borrow my Jeep for the weekend while I'm out of town and he got to try my new Bestop cover and said it works great, its just a little tight in the back.

I went ahead and ordered a steering box from Davey's to have sent to West Texas Offroad for the Stage II hydro kit. I don't plan on installing the rams for a while, but i'll at least have the parts. To compliment that, I am thinking of getting the Currie HD kit as well a it's only a little more than the Rugged Ridge kit.

West Texas Off Road - Hydro Kit

Next week I hope to take the drivers floor pan out to weld in the new one and get the lining done. I also wanna cut out the rocker and put the sliders on. I will probably hold off on the rear fenders until my front tube fenders arrive in hopefully the next month. I also have that continuous list of odds and ends to accomplish as time allows - but working 60+ hour weeks and taking two grad level classes makes it hard to find time.

The next big purchase is going to be a cage kit...

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 05-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
bobthetj03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good call on loosing that hideous body lift.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03
Good call on loosing that hideous body lift.
That was the first thing to go! And I even sold it!

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got the coolant flushed today and found a puddle of brake fluid at the back tire so I'll be doing wheel cylinders tomorrow and getting the parking brake setup...however I need to find a good diagram.

Also decided on the Currie steering setup and managed to salvage one of my hinges so I only need one replacement and a new pin now...

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 05-13-2015, 02:37 AM   #13
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last night i didn't get anything done besides organizing the garage because we did shocks on my buddies GTI. I did order a new hinge,
pick up replacement wheel cylinders. And ordered the self adjuster cable since Autozone no longer carries it.

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 05-13-2015, 02:39 AM   #14
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

And I ordered my Currie steering kit!

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build
Unread 05-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
_Kyle_
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
And I ordered my Currie steering kit!
Which showed up today lol

1996 Grand Cherokee
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)
Kyle's TJ Build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.