Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 82 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 01-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #1216
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post

The shackles in the back are pretty much a non-issue. Sometimes they touch the ground when going up a steep ledge and they often drag when going down steep ledges. They don't really slow me down though so I rarely notice they're there.
However, it would be cool to have nothing scrape going down a ledge and just roll the rear tires down. If I were to build another rig I'd shoot for 100"+ wheelbase and a 0 degree departure.
That would be pretty darn cool. I think after the stretch I'll be getting a tube bender. Then I'll make my own tire carrier and see just how high I can get my departure

Unread 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #1217
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
Haven't you done a couple of the Rokmen DIY kits, Mike? What are your thoughts on the quality? I can get most of the major brands (Poison Spyder, Genright, Metal Cloak, etc)
Ya I've done about 4 sets of Rokmens, 3 sets of metalcloaks and genrights. The quality on all of them have been top notch and what you would expect from these big companies. The rokmens take about twice as long as the all others as to be expected.

None of those brands have phantoms as far as I know.
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #1218
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post

None of those brands have phantoms as far as I know.
correct
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #1219
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I really like the DeFenders , just wish they werent so pricey . May have to bite the bullet before I take the LJ to Hendrix for paint . The CC's look pretty durn nice and the price is awesome .
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #1220
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

The closest thing in the DeFender would be the negative flares, and they do look pretty cool. here's the link

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-LJ-D...2-050-alum.htm
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #1221
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Attention fellow Jeepers!

So my rear end has been leaking out of the driver and passenger side tubes and I'm a bit puzzled why. The rear end got new timken bearings and oem seals when I installed the chromo shafts about 20,000 miles ago. I find it hard to believe the bearings and seals would only be good for 20k.

I picked up bearings, seals, and lock rings for each axle shaft and pulled the shafts tonight. The bolts that attach the retainer plates to the housing were all tight. The retainer plates appear straight. The races hadn't spun in the housing. The bearings hadn't spun on the shafts. The bearings aren't broken in any way (other than the bearing and race being in separate pieces...is that normal?). The seals don't appear to be distorted. The bearings had very slight play with the shafts bolted in but I find it hard to believe it would cause such an aggressive leak. Am I missing something?

Tomorrow night I will get the old bearings removed from the shafts and the new bearings will be pressed on.

I think the new bearings and seals will fix the issue...I just thought it was weird they would leak after only 20k. Has anyone experienced similar wear?

Obligatory garage picture.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #1222
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

With my super 88 the seals always leak. The bearings are perfect, the seals look fine, they just don't want to not leak. After replacing them myself twice in one month, I took it over to my mechanic and over the last year he has replaced them 3 more times. No luck. Both sides still leak. Good luck with yours.
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #1223
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Could it be a bent housing wearing one side of the seal a little more than the other ?
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #1224
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
With my super 88 the seals always leak. The bearings are perfect, the seals look fine, they just don't want to not leak. After replacing them myself twice in one month, I took it over to my mechanic and over the last year he has replaced them 3 more times. No luck. Both sides still leak. Good luck with yours.
Weird. Sounds like a bad run of luck! I guess mine only lasting 20k might not be as terrible as I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Could it be a bent housing wearing one side of the seal a little more than the other ?
I sure hope it isn't bent! But I suppose it could be. What didn't make sense to me was that the bearings and seals appeared to be in good shape but were leaking.

I got the bearings pressed off and new ones pressed on the other day. The mechanic that I had press the bearings said he figured that running larger than stock tires would cause the premature wear. I guess that would make sense. Whatever though...if I have to do it every 20k it isn't the end of the world.
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1225
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My tax return finally came...

...so does anybody want a set of bald KM2s?
capture.jpg  
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #1226
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #1227
Cotton
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good choice with the MTR's! $1368 for 2 tires seems a little steep though!
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #1228
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
Good choice with the MTR's! $1368 for 2 tires seems a little steep though!
I'm pumped. It took me a real long time to decide which tires to get, but I decided on what I feel are the most practical of the choices. I'm just excited to have fresh tread. And yes $1368 would be a lot for 2 tires...luckily I got 4! $342 a piece shipped seemed reasonable to me .
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #1229
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I'm pumped. It took me a real long time to decide which tires to get, but I decided on what I feel are the most practical of the choices. I'm just excited to have fresh tread. And yes $1368 would be a lot for 2 tires...luckily I got 4! $342 a piece shipped seemed reasonable to me .
its crazy how much of a price difference there is between a 17" rim and a 15" Your actually getting less rubber but cost almost $100 more a tire
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #1230
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ
its crazy how much of a price difference there is between a 17" rim and a 15" Your actually getting less rubber but cost almost $100 more a tire
Supply and demand, it's a wonderful thing.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.