Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #1081
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
At what speed does your DW start? Mine shakes at speeds over 60...
Its 40ish to 50. Its pretty bad! I either have to power through it or hit the brakes.

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #1082
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not much new with the Jeep lately. I did however install a safari top today, and some shorter shackles over the weekend. The shorter shackles lowered the rear about an inch.

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #1083
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Not much new with the Jeep lately. I did however install a safari top today, and some shorter shackles over the weekend. The shorter shackles lowered the rear about an inch.

Durn good looking Jeep , one of my favorites on the board .
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #1084
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig
I would not change a thing. Looks great!
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #1085
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Durn good looking Jeep , one of my favorites on the board .
Thank you! I appreciate your compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I would not change a thing. Looks great!
Thanks! While my wallet would love to keep it as is, it needs some things to keep up with how I wheel it. It needs corners (pass. rear is smashed), new rocker guards (passenger rocker is all dickered), and some kind of axle upgrade up front (I broke two front shafts this spring). I'd also like to make room for bigger rubber, maybe a durham hood? We'll see.

In other news, I'm pretty sure I figured out the death wobble. I think its the unit bearings. The stock ones lasted 130,000 miles...last summer I replaced them with napa premiums.
Has anyone heard of napa premium wheel bearings only lasting 7,000 miles?
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #1086
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate your compliment!
Your more than welcome .

Quote:
Thanks! While my wallet would love to keep it as is, it needs some things to keep up with how I wheel it. It needs corners (pass. rear is smashed), new rocker guards (passenger rocker is all dickered), and some kind of axle upgrade up front (I broke two front shafts this spring). I'd also like to make room for bigger rubber, maybe a durham hood? We'll see.
Moab fab seems to have the best price on corners . I like the Rokmen rockers , the attachment method is nice and you gain a mini boatside . And for shafts it seems the RCVs are the way to go , wish I had gone that way myself .
Quote:
In other news, I'm pretty sure I figured out the death wobble. I think its the unit bearings. The stock ones lasted 130,000 miles...last summer I replaced them with napa premiums.
Has anyone heard of napa premium wheel bearings only lasting 7,000 miles?
After reading a lot of reviews I went with the Timkens because it seemed like they were the only ones that lasted .
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #1087
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Moab fab seems to have the best price on corners . I like the Rokmen rockers , the attachment method is nice and you gain a mini boatside . And for shafts it seems the RCVs are the way to go , wish I had gone that way myself.
I definitely dig the moab fab corners. I'd like to find have some good cheap rockers bent up out of some 3/16". I agree on the RCVs, someday .

Quote:
After reading a lot of reviews I went with the Timkens because it seemed like they were the only ones that lasted.
That is what I'm learning. I just can't believe that the ones I have went bad so quickly!
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #1088
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Like the other guys said, your rig is one of my favorites as well! Very clean looking and doesn't look too modded, but well built and capable. Plus being done while in college with a limited budget, impressive!

Quote:
That is what I'm learning. I just can't believe that the ones I have went bad so quickly!
Yea, I will stick to Timken as well, just from what I have read, but even one of mine went bad within 6 months and I only put maybe 4k on it... And if I remember correctly the inspection guy had said he was thinking it was going and that was only after maybe 2k, so it could have just been a bum bearing.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #1089
rusticward
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble

I recently sold my TJ, but I found out a big proponent of my death wobble was a combination of worn steering ends, and worn out bushings on my control arms. Hope you get that solved, not a fun situation to be dealing with!
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #1090
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticward View Post
I recently sold my TJ, but I found out a big proponent of my death wobble was a combination of worn steering ends, and worn out bushings on my control arms. Hope you get that solved, not a fun situation to be dealing with!
Thanks man! I actually replaced my unit bearings and added a steering stabilizer the other night. No more shimmy!
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #1091
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks man! I actually replaced my unit bearings and added a steering stabilizer the other night. No more shimmy!
Its nice to be able to drive it versus survive it
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #1092
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice! Love it.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #1093
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Red red red red red red red red redneck.............

Got some presents today from brown Santa. Also, I picked up this axle over the weekend. Long story short, I drove my Jeep for the last 9 months with bad pinion bearings. The bearings are good n' dickered. The gear lube is full of fine metal. It needs bearings and probably gears. So I decided to start over with an XJ HP30. I was considering a JK30 but I don't think the amount of work justifies the marginal benefits.

New 4.88 gears, bearings, joints, almost alloys, 1.25" solid tie rod, new tie rod ends, and a solid diff cover. Tie rod flip kit is on its way, and I'm debating on ordering a sleeve kit. I will be reusing my e locker in the new axle.

I'd love to be building a 44, but I think this will do for now.

Quote:
Its nice to be able to drive it versus survive it
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
Nice! Love it.
Thanks!
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #1094
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's gonna be one dirtay-thertay! Nice man!
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #1095
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sleeves are a cheap investment for the strength you gain and its not much more work to install them when the axle is already torn down . I went with the Poly performance that were $100 , but the Evo Magnums look nice with the seals machined into the sleeves for $50 more . The only time consuming part of the job is drilling all the plug weld holes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.