Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 09-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #871
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
chromoly shafts!
Nope, but I could use a set of those too. For now I'm carrying spares for the front when I wheel.

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #872
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Nope, but I could use a set of those too. For now I'm carrying spares for the front when I wheel.
me and my buddy are still on stock shafts, and we wheeled the piss out of our jeeps and windrock. and only one of us broke a shaft, and thats with 4.0s i'd rather blow out a shaft than a ring and pinion all day. and with how heavy my right foot gets sometimes, people on this forum would think i'd blow out stock shafts weekly

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #873
reichard117
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I read all 59 pages over the past week... got me through my second week of senior year in high school.. ha
i am inspired by your build.. as soon as i get a jeep ill be preparing it for a road trip to CO after graduation. ill be moving down to florida for MMI so no more snow
anyways.. ill be putting a cj tg for sure..

now what? sport cage? armor? flush LED tails?
reichard117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #874
ecautocrafting
1985 CJ7 

after seeing those rocks and trails, next stop Colorado!
ecautocrafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #875
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

So whatd you get? You still havent divulged
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #876
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So whatd you get? You still havent divulged
It showed up at my door today so it's time to spill the beans...

It's a TeraLow 4:1 kit. I've been looking for one for a while. Finally decided to just bite the bullet and get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichard117 View Post
I read all 59 pages over the past week... got me through my second week of senior year in high school.. ha
i am inspired by your build.. as soon as i get a jeep ill be preparing it for a road trip to CO after graduation. ill be moving down to florida for MMI so no more snow
anyways.. ill be putting a cj tg for sure..
now what? sport cage? armor? flush LED tails?
Glad my thread could serve as a quality distraction! It will surely be getting a cage and more armor in the future. I'm also considering flush mounting my factory tail lights. Not sure though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecautocrafting View Post
after seeing those rocks and trails, next stop Colorado!
It's certainly a fun place to wheel!
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #877
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heck yeah! I cant wait to see that go in.
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #878
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ahhh **** it just got real! idk if you've seen the orange tj i've posted a couple picks of in my build, it has a tera 4:1, 37 inch reds, 4.88's and a 2.5, and it turns the tires real easy. you'll love it man, i'm ready to hear how well datsumbit.ch'lldig when you get it in

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #879
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

you'll love 4:1 man trust me its dashiznit
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #880
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
It showed up at my door today so it's time to spill the beans...
A ball bearing turbo!!!111 So cool, the 2.5 is gonna be so fast now!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #265
SirWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #881
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Could you take a measurement for me? I would like to know the distance between the back of the transfer case (where the identification tag is) to the center of the u joint on the hack n tap. I want to compare it to the SYE on my TJ to see if it will allow for a long enough dribeshaft on a TJ with a stock wheelbase. Thanks.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #882
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Time for some updates:

-I was getting a little bit of axle wrap (yeah yeah I know leaf springs....I still stand behind them). The extra main leafs I added to the original bastard packs were shot before I added them and they didn't add much to the leaf packs I was using. I pulled the leaf springs one at a time and removed the extra XJ main leaf from each pack, replacing them with some explorer (beefier) main leafs cut to the same length. So I'm still running Xj leaf packs just with an explorer leaf added. It added about an inch and a half of height to the rear and gave the springs a bit more arch. I'm probably going to shorten the shackles a bit to level it out again, we'll see. But best of all, the wrap is gone and they still ride nicely, even without any weight back there. I'm pretty happy about this.

-I also pulled the transfer case today. I spent 13 bucks at Sears and picked up a ratcheting 9/16 wrench and that made dealing with those 6 bolts that mate it to the transmission a bit easier. I made decent progress; got the old case out and completely apart. I started putting the TeraLow case back together and decided to call it a night. Oh yeah...and C clips suck!

-And the bad news: Something with the front axle is pretty dickered. The pinion seems to be walking, has way to much play, and has a nice clunk. I'll pull the cover tomorrow after I finish the Tera Low. I'm hoping the gears aren't ruined and it's just a bearing or something but I guess we'll see. Not too happy about this. Might be time to trade her in for a Hyundai or something
-I still have to get the new TnT rear bumper/cross member on. One of these days when I have a solid day to do it and when my tank is low on gas and light enough to drop I'll knock it out. I'm really looking forward to getting it on. I'd really like to modify the tank skid to sit a little higher while I'm at it and the tank is out but I'm not sure if the benefit is worth the amount of work required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Heck yeah! I cant wait to see that go in.
I can't wait to finish the install and have it all back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
ahhh **** it just got real! idk if you've seen the orange tj i've posted a couple picks of in my build, it has a tera 4:1, 37 inch reds, 4.88's and a 2.5, and it turns the tires real easy. you'll love it man, i'm ready to hear how well datsumbit.ch'lldig when you get it in
I'm looking forward to wheeling it. I'm hoping the improvement in performance justifies the cost of the sumb!tch!

Quote:
you'll love 4:1 man trust me its dashiznit
She's no atlas...but it should be a decent improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWinston View Post
A ball bearing turbo!!!111 So cool, the 2.5 is gonna be so fast now!
derp da derp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Could you take a measurement for me? I would like to know the distance between the back of the transfer case (where the identification tag is) to the center of the u joint on the hack n tap. I want to compare it to the SYE on my TJ to see if it will allow for a long enough dribeshaft on a TJ with a stock wheelbase. Thanks.
I'm real sorry friend, I didn't see your post! I'll get you a measurement tomorrow when I get the thing back together! I can say that it isn't much shorter than factory. I probably cut 1 1/2" off of the output shaft when I did the hack N' tap. Regardless, I should have it back together tomorrow and I'll PM a measurement your way.
Unread 09-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #883
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pics with new ride height! Too bad about the D30, hopefully it's just a bearing, there's not much else in there that would allow for the pinion to wobble. Oh and you can't be serious about trading your jeep in for a ricer! I think you would regret selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #884
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How much lift would you estimate you have over stock with the explorer extra leaf?
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #885
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got the TeraLow finished today. In total it took two afternoons to complete; an afternoon to pull it out and pull it apart, and an afternoon to put it all back together and reinstall it. Keep in mind I was operating at a snails pace.

Final comments on the TeraLow:
-The improvement is nuts. With the front drive shaft off, I can stand on the brakes with no foot on the gas pedal, skid the front tires and spin the rears.

-It is damn near impossible to stall this thing in 4 low (in a parking lot). We'll see how it does wheeling but I am already impressed with the improvement.

-All said and done the install was very straight forward. Other than the fact that the snap rings gave me hell, everything went very smooth. The instructions sent with the kit were detailed and helped a lot.

-If you can follow basic directions, you can install a TeraLow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Pics with new ride height! Too bad about the D30, hopefully it's just a bearing, there's not much else in there that would allow for the pinion to wobble. Oh and you can't be serious about trading your jeep in for a ricer! I think you would regret selling it.
Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Seems like the pinion bearing is toast. There was also about 1/4" of metal shavings built up on the magnet and the gear oil was fairly metallic looking. It's tough to say if the metal shavings are from the wrecked bearing or if gears are wearing improperly too as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
How much lift would you estimate you have over stock with the explorer extra leaf?
They have settled a little since I first put them on. I would say about 2.5" higher than stock in the rear, and still 2" higher than stock in the front. I might shorten the shackles in the rear to level it out but for now I'm happy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.