Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #811
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

can't wait to see your rig with that tummy tuck! its going to look nice! do you think you will need a lopro tranny mount? you are going to love that extra belly clearance, but you'll still bang it on everything haha i honestly think i may hit mine more cause i get in tighter situations!

we gotta go wheelin some day though dude, maybe i'll make it outwest in the next 3 years!

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #812
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the Hack and Tap SYE done tonight and I also got the UCF skid in place. I all went together pretty smoothly. I'll have to modify the exhaust to get rid of some of the vibration. It needs a new muffler anyway so I think I'll be killing two birds at once. I'll be getting the new 1350 rear pinion yoke on and having a drive shaft built asap...3 weeks until I drive it back out to Colorado.
A couple of notes about the install:
-Hack and Taps are a *****. I think pulling the case and doing it with it out from under the vehicle would have been less of a headache.
-The extra clearance underneath is awesome. Amazing how 3" can look like so much.
-The drive train sure is noisy with it so close to the floor.
-Between the MML and belly up, having the transmission shifter up 3-4" higher feels great while behind the wheel!

***Aside from that, I can't seem to get the vehicle into 4 low. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this without purchasing an aftermarket t case shifter??***

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
softtop came out great.
I dont remember reading that you purchased the ultra high clearance skid. Your going to love it man, great upgrade.
My first time wheelin after installing mine I cruised over rocks I thought I would have definitely hit with no issues
Thanks man! I'm happy with how it came out. I'm still going to spend some more time on it and see if I can get it any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Wow that top came out great! How do you like running the soft top in the winter? Stay pretty warm?
It was warm enough until I removed the carpet...now it's a touch too drafty and chilly with the cold steel floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
can't wait to see your rig with that tummy tuck! its going to look nice! do you think you will need a lopro tranny mount? you are going to love that extra belly clearance, but you'll still bang it on everything haha i honestly think i may hit mine more cause i get in tighter situations!
we gotta go wheelin some day though dude, maybe i'll make it outwest in the next 3 years!
Thus far I don't see a need for the lo-pro mount...we'll see. And as far as getting out there and wheeling you should!

Pictures to come guys...it got dark out.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #813
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did you try adjusting the cable? If not, get the novak cable
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #814
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Id recommend the novak but if you dont have it in the budget check out this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ad...54/index3.html

They have different brackets to help you adjust it for less $$ then the novak

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #815
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures of the new setup:

Hack N' Tap

Clearance measured before:

Clearance measured afterward
Edit: Given that my garage floor is slanted, the measurements aren't right on. Once on flat ground it measured around 18". Regardless, I gained around 3":

I got the new 1350 pinion yoke in tonight...I also went ahead and replaced the pinion seal while I was down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
Did you try adjusting the cable? If not, get the novak cable
I'll be taking the skid off to modify the exhaust...I'll see how much I can adjust it when I do that. I will do the Novak if I have to but it'd be nice to save the $160 if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Id recommend the novak but if you dont have it in the budget check out this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ad...54/index3.html
They have different brackets to help you adjust it for less $$ then the novak
Thanks for the link!!
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #816
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Still reading through all of the build, but its pretty inspiring since I've got a 4 banger as well. Nice job, I'm sure I'll be asking questions eventually!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #817
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

hell yeah looks good! i got 1 more inch of clearance its funny though cause i think our rigs have just about the exact same stance, wheelbase and all.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #818
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So this morning I ordered up a Tattons rear double cardan shaft and some longer anti wrap leaf spring perches. It should all be here by the end of next week. Now the fun part...waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Still reading through all of the build, but its pretty inspiring since I've got a 4 banger as well. Nice job, I'm sure I'll be asking questions eventually!
Good to hear! The little 2.5L is no power house but it does just plain work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
hell yeah looks good! i got 1 more inch of clearance its funny though cause i think our rigs have just about the exact same stance, wheelbase and all.
Very similar indeed! That extra inch would have been nice, but the ease of installation with the selling point for my skid. Plus I got it used for CHEAP!
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #819
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

jeep looks good bud. Haven't checked in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post

3. Get on it. I need someone to be a nerd and crawl with me.
dont be ashamed - I love my my rc crawlers

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #820
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My new drive shaft showed up. I ordered it through Curtis at Tatton's driveline. It's a CV shaft with .120 wall tubing, balanced at 100 mph with a 1350 end yoke and a 7" slip spline and all Spicer brand U joints. It was $300 shipped which I felt was a fair deal. I'm pretty satisfied with the shaft and the service. It took exactly one week for it to show up at my door. I also picked up some anti-wrap leaf perches to dial in the pinion angle with the new set up. It'll be nice to drive around in rear wheel drive again!

Extended

1350 end yoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
jeep looks good bud. Haven't checked in a while

dont be ashamed - I love my my rc crawlers
Thanks man! It's getting there. So since we're running a similar setup I'm curious. What leaf perches are you running? Are you still running the stock XJ leafs w/ the extra leaf? Any axle wrap? And the RC crawling is a damn good time!

The Jeep has been on the back burner this summer as I've been spending most of my time working/riding/having fun. But I'm happy to be wrapping up this portion of the project and doing some fall wheeling out in Colorado. I figure in the next couple years it will be close to being (dare i say) done.
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #821
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I fiddled with the Jeep a little tonight. I've been driving it back and forth from work in front wheel drive for almost two weeks now. Tonight I put the rear drive shaft in (which I am very happy with). I also puttsed with the transfer case shifter, adjusted it to use two high through four low, and added a couple of springs to one of the cross-linkages to keep it from popping out. It isn't quite as smooth as before but it works well. The pinion angle is low a few degrees but it doesn't have any vibrations up to 50 mph. I'll have to open it up on the freeway and make sure it's vibration free before my voyage out west. I'll be replacing the muffler with a new one to quiet things down a bit and it should be rocking out. I'm pretty excited to have this little segment of the Jeep project wrapped up!
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #822
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How far west are you coming and when???

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #823
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And since a thread is no good without pictures...

I also gave the ole whore a thorough cleaning...so I might as well post some pictures of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
How far west are you coming and when???
Well I have been at home in Minnesota for the last few months. Next week I'll be heading back out to Colorado for another year of school. Some day I'll make it out and run the Rubicon though!

__________________________________________________ _____

In other news I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 21 spline TeraLow 4:1 kit. Let me know if anyone knows of a good deal on one!
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #824
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Love your Jeep dude, just as it is.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #825
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin good! Do you have bolts going through the bottom of your sliders through the floor, or just the ones in the side of the tub? I'm thinking of making some for my YJ and i like how clean yours look.

Tags
locked , stock appearance , stretched , tj on leaf springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.