Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #796
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up some used adjustable lower control arms after work yesterday. A guy had them for sale locally and for fifty bucks I figured why not. They aren't the beefiest and could use a coat of paint but i might use them, we'll see.

Also, I ordered a 1350 rear pinion yoke for the Dana 44 today. It's a U bolt model which should be less problematic that the dinky straps I have now. I also decided I'm going to have a beefy .120 wall double cardan rear drive shaft built when I do the tummy tuck. I figure I will benefit from some extra beef under there when I'm dragging the rear axle over rocks with my little 35s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Looking good dude, watching your TJ makes me miss mine a little....... I still can't get over how cool the leafs are. Soooo diggin' it! Get that skid on!
Thanks man! It's getting there. Extremely slowly though.

I want to tackle all of this stuff and I will soon. But I've been working every day for the last two weeks. I get off work and would rather crack a beer and relax than wrench on the Jeep. I'll get to it soon though...if I can muster up the motivation!

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #797
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1350 pinion yoke with u bolts showed up today. It's pretty beefy! Time to get the ball rolling!

Unread 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #798
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

So I have a few random things to say, 1 you didnt let your windshield wipers go down before you turned the jeep off in the pic at the bottom of the first page, not sure why I was there in the first place though haha, 2 I found some pics of stock taillights made flush, Im currently trying to figure out how to post them in here, and 3rd I want your crawler! I lost mine haha
Colorado Jeep Club Member #265
SirWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #799
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWinston View Post
So I have a few random things to say, 1 you didnt let your windshield wipers go down before you turned the jeep off in the pic at the bottom of the first page, not sure why I was there in the first place though haha, 2 I found some pics of stock taillights made flush, Im currently trying to figure out how to post them in here, and 3rd I want your crawler! I lost mine haha
1: You're very assertive Gavin!
2: Seen em....might do it, we'll see.
3. Wait till you drive it! You can have my old one. Better yet you should buy a new one so we can crawl some real rocks.
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #800
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
1: You're very assertive Gavin!
2: Seen em....might do it, we'll see.
3. Wait till you drive it! You can have my old one. Better yet you should buy a new one so we can crawl some real rocks.
1. Im not trying to be assertive, I just thought I would point out my useless discovery haha
2. Thats good, cause I was about to give up
3. If I dont buy any Jeep parts I should be able to buy one by next month
4. My KM's measured 33", the MT/R's look sooo much better haha
5. Did you see the pic of Cam on his horse?
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #801
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
1. Im not trying to be assertive, I just thought I would point out my useless discovery haha
2. Thats good, cause I was about to give up
3. If I dont buy any Jeep parts I should be able to buy one by next month
4. My KM's measured 33", the MT/R's look sooo much better haha
5. Did you see the pic of Cam on his horse?
1. Word
2. Word.
3. Get on it. I need someone to be a nerd and crawl with me.
4. I need to get myself some of those.
5. Just shared it. Hilarious.
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #802
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
1. Word
2. Word.
3. Get on it. I need someone to be a nerd and crawl with me.
4. I need to get myself some of those.
5. Just shared it. Hilarious.
3. I will do my best
4. Yes you do
5. hahahahahahahaha hes going to kill you when he sees you next
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #803
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is just getting creepy now
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #804
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
This is just getting creepy now
Hahaha I agree, from now I on Ill just text Kyle about the random things going on. Unless its jeep related
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #805
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I found some ambition after work to bust my knuckles on the Jeep a little bit and get the motor mount lift done. It was very straight forward and the install went pretty smooth. Anyone with a tool set, a jack, and a hack saw can do it. It took about 2.5 hours between wrenching and some BSing with my buddy and dad.

Here's a little step by step write up for anyone planning on doing a JKS Budget Motor Mount Lift:

Step 1. Loosen your transmission mount nuts which are accessible through the bottom of the transfer case skid. This will prevent damaging the transmission mount upon raising the engine. It is also a good idea to unbolt the fan shroud at this time. This will prevent the fan from pushing up against the shroud when rotating the engine up.

Step 2. Support the engine under the oil pan with a floor jack and a block of wood. There's no need to raise the vehicle, just lift the jack enough to support the engine.

Step 3. Now it's time to remove the nut off of the motor mount cross bolt. Leave the bolts in and just remove the nuts.

Step 4. Remove the top bolt (there's one on each motor mount) and the bottom stud nut (pictured) from each motor mount.

Step 5. Now you can remove the motor mount center bolts. On the driver side, the center bolt will come out smooth. On the passenger side you'll notice that the bolt runs into the alternator about half way out (pictured). You can get the passenger motor mount out one of two ways. You can either remove your alternator or remove your motor mount bracket bolts on the engine side and remove the entire assembly. I chose to disconnect the battery and remove the alternator as the bolts are easy to get to. Upon re-assembly, I put the bolt in the other way so that if I ever need to replace the passenger motor mount, there will be no need to monkey with the alternator.

Step 6. Now that you have your motor mounts out, you'll want to remove about a quarter inch from the mounting studs (pictured) so that the new bolt extensions can thread on all of the way (the stud is initially longer than the female end of the bolt extension). I used a hack saw but you could also use a cutoff wheel or a grinder. Be careful not to damage the threads when shortening the studs.

Step 7. Put the motor mounts back in with the new lift spacers underneath. Start by loosely putting on the nuts and bolts. The cross bolts will go in last. The first one will go in easy. The second cross bolt may be harder to line up but by moving the jack up/down you will eventually get it in. Once all of the nuts and bolts are installed, go around and snug all of the bolts, let the jack down, and give the bolts a final tightening. This is also a good time to go ahead and re-tighten those four transmission mount nuts that you loosened earlier.

Step 8. Reinstall your alternator if you removed that during the process...might as well check your belt tension while you're at it. If you installed the motor mount lift in unison with a body lift, then put the fan shroud bolts back through their factory holes. If you're installing the MML without a body lift, you will need to modify your fan shroud to accommodate the new height of the engine.

Step 9: Make sure all of your bolts are tight, make sure everything clears, start the engine and take it for a test drive!
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #806
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Red things!!!!!!!
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #807
TPToups
1996 ZJ 

this is a very nice jeep, my step dad is looking to build one similar to this.
TPToups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #808
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So last night I monkeyed with the Jeep a bit. I made my old soft top nice again. I bought some products at the local parts store and they actually worked fairly well. The windows still have some scratches, they are much more clear now. Many of the stains in the soft top material are gone. While it's still not as nice as a brand new top, the improvement in clarity and aesthetics was well worth the time spent.

Here's what I used:
  • Blue Magic convertible top cleaner
  • McGuire's PlastX clear plastic polish
  • a cheap buffing/polishing pad
  • a standard household scrub brush
  • a drill

Hazy and cloudy window prior to polishing

I'm pretty happy with how it came out. It's far from perfect, but it's much better than it was.

And tonight after work I pulled the Jeep in the garage and started taking things apart for the hack and tap SYE install and Undercover Fab ultra high clearance skid install.

New vs. old.

Quote:
Red things!!!!!!!
Typical Chazz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPToups View Post
this is a very nice jeep, my step dad is looking to build one similar to this.
Thanks man! It's slowly getting there.
Unread 07-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #809
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

softtop came out great.

I dont remember reading that you purchased the ultra high clearance skid. Your going to love it man, great upgrade.

My first time wheelin after installing mine I cruised over rocks I thought I would have definitely hit with no issues
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #810
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that top came out great! How do you like running the soft top in the winter? Stay pretty warm?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.