Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #526
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton_4x4 View Post
Save that $$ from the 35! It is always nice to have some coin laying around when you need to jump on a deal or fix something that broke. It is probably burning a hole in your pocket...but no use just blowing it on some part you don't need or want. That's my 2 cents!
I appreciate your input. You are a wise man my friend. I think this is what I'll do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Went through your build while at work today...Good sh%*!
Thanks much man. It's getting there...slowly but surely. I'm really looking forward to the day when it is for the completely dialed.

In other news...Went snow wheeling today. It was a good time. Twas a bit of a ****show to say the least. But all in all it was a good time.

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #527
bmasteryj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

need snow wheeling pics
bmasteryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #528
myclejay

Awesome.
myclejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #529
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures of the shock out-boarding process using Ferd F-teen-thousand shock towers and 12" travel Bilstein 5125 shocks. It took a decent while with nothing but a cutoff wheel. A big thanks to my homie Tommy for laying down the welds and letting me use his garage.
Me eying up the location:

Making the cut:

I cut a notch in the bracket itself to allow for a stronger weld.

Finished product:

A very dirty Jeep with a shiny, clean new Bilstein 5125 in the fender well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasteryj View Post
need snow wheeling pics
Ask and you shall receive! I have a few poser shots my buddy Gavin (SirWinston) and another friend took:

I slid sideways down a hill and got up close and personal with a tree near the end of the trail. The winch saved the day once again.

Winching out a friend's Jeep:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclejay View Post
Awesome.
Thank you! I like it too!

On a side note, I'd like to express my satisfaction with my second generation Superwinch LP8500. I've used it over a dozen times since I got it one year ago. For a $400 dollar winch, I really could not be more happy. I can't compare it to any other winch on the market as this is the only one I've used. That being said, it works very well for me. I only have 2 issues with my winch setup:
  1. It drains my battery during long pulls. This isn't the winches fault. I could probably benefit from a better battery.
  2. The winch line is starting to fray a bit in a few places. I think this is partially attributed to the steel hawse fair lead provided with these winches.
In the future, I will be upgrading to a synthetic line of some sort. With it beginning to fray, the steel winch line kind of scares me. I'd like to upgrade to a synthetic line BEFORE my steel line bites the dust.
In other news, I ordered a new tow strap today. My current 2"x30' strap has served me well for the past 3 years...but the stitching is coming apart (smittybilt...enough said). I ordered a 4"x30' strap. Hopefully that will last a bit longer.

Lastly...a shot I took a while back:
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #530
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

i love that stance
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #531
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So how much uptravel vs downtravel do you have with the outboarded bilsteins?
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #532
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Love the Jeep. It makes me wish i had thought a little harder when planning mine out.

Sent from planet X.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #533
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Alright, now time to take a road trip to flagstaff and come do mine
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #534
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Very jealous. I'm hoping we get a good amount of snow this year and it's not when I'm working on mine. I had a blast a couple of years ago when we had over 2ft (thats a lot for MD)
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #535
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep0312 View Post
i love that stance
Thanks...I like it too. I think it's pretty proportional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
So how much uptravel vs downtravel do you have with the outboarded bilsteins?
The shocks have a little over 12" of travel. I have 5.5" of up travel, so I should have about 6.5" of downtravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Love the Jeep. It makes me wish i had thought a little harder when planning mine out.
Sent from planet X.
Thank you for the complement man...with having such a well built rig, what do you mean??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
Alright, now time to take a road trip to flagstaff and come do mine
I don't think I'll be making it to AZ any time soon...but if you have any questions about the process feel free to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Very jealous. I'm hoping we get a good amount of snow this year and it's not when I'm working on mine. I had a blast a couple of years ago when we had over 2ft (thats a lot for MD)
The snow definitely adds elements of fun and challenge. What was normally a very easy trail became more or less impossible to complete even for vehicles with bigger tires and lockers.
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #536
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the SuperWinch pulled through once again. With the help of my snatch block, yesterday I pulled a 9000lb Cummins Ram 2500 out that had been frozen in a mud hole for a few days...The little budget winch continues to impress.
Unread 11-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #537
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice lookin rig, quick question what does a snatch block do exactly?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #538
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice lookin rig, quick question what does a snatch block do exactly?
A snatch block allows you to change the direction of your winch line if you can not get the vehicle into position to make a straight pull. Say, a vehicle needs to be recovered in such a way that it needs to be pulled from an area where another vehicle can't get to or that would put the recovery vehicle in danger of becoming stuck or rendered useless.

an example (from google)

You can also double, triple, quadruple, ect. the pulling power of your winch by running the winch line through a snatch block (or several) attached to an anchor point and then hooking the winch line back to the vehicle with the winch. By using a snatch block, an 8,000lb winch could theoretically pull 16,000 pounds because the 16,000 pounds is equally divided between 2 lengths of winchline each carrying 8,000 lbs (this is of coarse ignoring things like friction). This however also decreases the recovery speed because the winch has to pull twice the line to move the same distance as a straight pull but can be useful in some situations.

an example (also from google)
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #539
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ makes perfect sence, thanks Mike
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #540
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice lookin rig
Thanks for the complement!

In other news, I ordered a second MV50 compressor today off of amazon. Overall, I've been satisfied with my current unit. It is just fast enough. While I've never timed it exactly, it probably takes a little under 15 minutes to fill all four 35s from 12-25 psi. Having two on board, it will be nice to cut that time in half.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.