Kyle's Kurb Hopper - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Kyle's Kurb Hopper

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #466
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For those following my build, scroll down for some pictures of the axle swap and stretch being exicuted!
....To make the latest pictures understandable for those who may be new to my build thread, some homies and I did some major work on my Jeep this weekend. We swapped out the old Dana 35 rear axle for a stronger Dana 44 unit from an older Canadian Wrangler YJ, installed an air activated locking rear differential from a newer Rubicon edition Wrangler, and swapped out the bouncy rear coil springs for some more stable and flexy leaf springs from a Jeep Cherokee XJ. During the whole process we pushed the entire rear axle assembly rearward about 5" (thanks to a Genright brand stretch tank for clearance) to extend the wheelbase from 93" to 98" for stability and overall ride quality. Between plenty of bull****ting and puttsing, all of this was knocked out in a day and a half. If anyone is curious about this swap, has questions, or has any input feel free to PM me or leave comments here. For those skeptical, yes it's a TJ on leaf springs...sure its different, but it works well and I'm very satisfied with the changes in general.
Here are some pictures:

The good 'ole Dana 35 pulled...never failed me...

New Dana 44, locked, geared to 4.88, and ready to rock

Got all the old brackets cut off and grounded down

Figuring out where the axle needs to sit for a 5" stretch

Making progress...

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #467
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Old coil spring brackets all cleaned up with new leaf spring brackets tacked in

Final wheelbase under it's own weight. The wheelbase was 93" pre-swap...ended up with a 98" wheelbase (5" stretch). Combined with leaf springs it should be much more stable when things get steep

Body cut...no flare

Fairly subtle once the flare is moved rearward...just what I wanted.

low and slow....

pre-fender flare cut

Departure angle isn't too bad

All buttoned up
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #468
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That turned out looking pretty good man, nice work. Looking forward to some more pics.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #469
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The dude helping me with the swap had a big long stainless brake line from a previous build...it threaded into the line splitter and worked perfect

The pinion angle is right on...with the perches where they are it was too steep, so we added a 5 degree shim on each side and it's straight as an arrow. This was easier than cutting the perches off and re-welding them

All set up, flap wheeled, and painted...

We bolted the wheels on, I paid the dude that set up the gears and let us use his shop, and my buddy and I left. On the way home we stopped at a wheeling spot to check things out. I ended up getting stuck...I high centered on a big boulder....BUT I would've never made it as far as I did without the locker and new found flex of the leafs out back. Here are some action and poser shots from the wheeling:

It droops so much better than it did before

I'm exhausted so I'm going to sleep. I'll check in with you all tomorrow!
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #470
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome Kyle. Digging the rear setup with fenders. I bet your pumped!!!
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #471
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome man! Looks pimpin'! You do know your PM box will fill up with questions from me in the near future, right? How is the on road ride?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #472
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats awesome. I love how you started and finished all in a weekend. Then tested her out by hitting a trail all in the same day.

Sent from planet X.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #473
stone
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your jeep turned out great. I really like the look with the flares pushed back. Nice build!
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #474
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That turned out looking pretty good man, nice work. Looking forward to some more pics.
Thanks a lot man. As far as it going smoothly, projects always have their speed bumps. We ran into a couple of issues that will need to be cleared up. First off, something is up with the passenger rear drum, we couldn't get it to bleed right...the brakes are real spongy which is unacceptable. Also, my fenders are currently my bumpstops, so I'm thinking I'll be trimming them slightly more and setting up bumpstops, there just wasn't enough time this weekend to do these things. Lastly, the locker was sent in to me in a box full of styrofoam BBs. I got most of them cleaned out, but couldn't get the ones out that were packed in behind the pressure plate that allows the locker to un-lock. When initially driving it, the locker was popping and catching it's teeth to momentarily lock up. In the 3 hour drive home, it did this randomly for about the 1st hour. I think the BB's must have dissolved because it hasn't done so since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Looks awesome Kyle. Digging the rear setup with fenders. I bet your pumped!!!
I am very excited. I'm loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Awesome man! Looks pimpin'! You do know your PM box will fill up with questions from me in the near future, right? How is the on road ride?
I think it looks great too man. I'm really proud of how it came out. It droops so much better than it did on coils. As far as the ride goes it's worlds more smooth over bumps, around corners it has major body roll though. It's definitely softer than it was, but I like it. I think I'll have to fix my broken front sway bar links. I'm going to build some new disconnects from my old rear sway bar links. The factory front ball socket design on the sway bar is inferior. I might have to build a traction bar too. It definitely has some vibrations in the drive shaft when I take off in first gear. I attribute this to some spring wrap. I did have room to mount the shocks in the stock location with the 5" stretch. I was thinking of out-boarding the shocks as soon as possible, prior to the swap. After seeing it droop, I guess I'll have to unbolt the shock and see if it can even droop any more. Lastly, my rear shackle hangers are located exactly 1 inch from the rear edge of my frame. If you want a 5-6" stretch, I would say mounting the shackle hangers to the frame would be the way to go. I think any more stretch than 6", and you NEED to have them mounted to a cross member to get the correct shackle angle. As far as my PM box is concerned, I'll make some room for whatever questions you might have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Thats awesome. I love how you started and finished all in a weekend. Then tested her out by hitting a trail all in the same day.
I figured that was the best way to do it! Honestly, I could never have knocked it out that fast with out the great help I had. Now I just can't wait to wheel it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post
Your jeep turned out great. I really like the look with the flares pushed back. Nice build!
Thanks man! I'm really satisfied. I like the look too. From the front, an average Joe probably wont even notice. From the back it clearly looks stretched but is fairly subtle. I'm really happy.

I'd also like to mention a thank you to both Red_Smoke and Gribbles for patiently answering all of the questions that I had. You guys rock! Thanks alot!
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #475
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And...this morning the Jeep got a car wash, so I took some pictures of the finished product nice and clean.

Why I need to set up bumpstops:

The underside:
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #476
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good Kyle. That's a different arrangement than I've seen... under the frame rail and boomerang mounted opposite of how we've done it. Trying something new? Let us know if you any issues with shackle inversion.
2008 Rubi Unlimited: Gone!
Smashin' Punkin - 06 Rubi LJ, Cummins QSB3.3, work in progress
IndyORV
Red_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #477
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks so good like that. Great work
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #478
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I GOT to start mine soon!
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #479
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Smoke View Post
Looks good Kyle. That's a different arrangement than I've seen... under the frame rail and boomerang mounted opposite of how we've done it. Trying something new? Let us know if you any issues with shackle inversion.
Thanks alot! Yeah I wanted to be different. I was more or less forced to be different due to doing a 5" stretch rather than a 7". I'm really happy with it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Looks so good like that. Great work
Thank you. I think it looks pretty cool myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I GOT to start mine soon!
You really do! Can't wait to see yours!

On a side note, since we've been getting snow already, I've decided I'm going to sipe my tires. Last winter's storms proved to be scary at times with my tires. I'm hoping to make driving a little more safe in icy conditions. I'm going to follow this thread to do it:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Caveats
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #480
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

So, besides siping, whats next on the list?

Tags
locked , stock appearance , stretched , tj on leaf springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.